Speculation: Predict the RFA signings

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We currently have 5 RFA forwards, 1 RFA defenseman and an RFA goalie to sign this off-season. We have roughly $16.1 million in cap space for these players once you account for Schmaltz being send back to the AHL.

Predict what you think these 7 players will get from the Blues (term and $ + 1 way/2 way) or if you think they will be traded. Let's leave the remaining UFAs and Schenn and Petro out of this particular thread. Here are my predictions:

Barbashev - 2 x $1.35M (1 way)
Fabbri - 1 x $1M (1 way)
Sanford - 1 x $900k (2 way)
Sundqvist - 3 x $1.75M (1 way)
Blais - 1 x $900k (2 way)
Edmundson - 1 X $2.5M (1 way)
Binnington - 3 x $4.5M (1 way)

By my math, that would give us about $3.2M in cap space to start the season, or to spend in free agency

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
Curious why you think Fabbri should be on a 1 way? I think his 1 way contract is what really hindered his recovery this year. Playing top 6 minutes in the AHL would have been much preferable to being a constant healthy scratch/4th line role with the big club.

I don't think Binnington will sign for less than 5m AAV when we have Allen getting 4.3. He can rightfully demand to make more than Jake at this point.

Eddy should get no more than 2 with Gunnarson signing for 1.75. He signed a "prove-it" contract and regressed, so Army would be justified offering a lower value than 2.5 .

The others I agree with.

Deko

Jul 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sanford played only 7 games in San Antonio last year and 60 in the big league. I don't see him taking a two-way deal, especially after MacEachern who split the season between the two leagues got a one-way contract. As for Blais I think his postseason contributions should seal a one-way deal.

I think Sundqvist is almost certain to get one of those prove-it contracts. Remember he is still a RFA next summer.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
We currently have 5 RFA forwards, 1 RFA defenseman and an RFA goalie to sign this off-season. We have roughly $16.1 million in cap space for these players once you account for Schmaltz being send back to the AHL.

Predict what you think these 7 players will get from the Blues (term and $ + 1 way/2 way) or if you think they will be traded. Let's leave the remaining UFAs and Schenn and Petro out of this particular thread. Here are my predictions:

Barbashev - 2 x $1.35M (1 way)
Fabbri - 1 x $1M (1 way)
Sanford - 1 x $900k (2 way)
Sundqvist - 3 x $1.75M (1 way)
Blais - 1 x $900k (2 way)
Edmundson - 1 X $2.5M (1 way)
Binnington - 3 x $4.5M (1 way)

By my math, that would give us about $3.2M in cap space to start the season, or to spend in free agency

We may need to freshen up on QO rules and compensation charts.

-QO rules require Edmundson's offer to be no less than last year's QO contract of $3M.

-I would think that Barbashev, Sanford, and Sundquvist offers to be in the $2M range so our compensation, if some team offered on them, would at least equal their drafting round. Since Sunny was drafted in the third round the Blues might offer up $3M so the compensation level is a 2nd round pick.

-Have no idea on Fabbri and Blais. 3rd round level is about $1.5M.

- I have no idea what Binny will get. Around $4M is first round compensation.

Sooner or later, seems sensible for the NHL teams to start nibbling at the lower compensation levels.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
We may need to freshen up on QO rules and compensation charts.

-QO rules require Edmundson's offer to be no less than last year's QO contract of $3M.

-I would think that Barbashev, Sanford, and Sundquvist offers to be in the $2M range so our compensation, if some team offered on them, would at least equal their drafting round. Since Sunny was drafted in the third round the Blues might offer up $3M so the compensation level is a 2nd round pick.

-Have no idea on Fabbri and Blais. 3rd round level is about $1.5M.

- I have no idea what Binny will get. Around $4M is first round compensation.

Sooner or later, seems sensible for the NHL teams to start nibbling at the lower compensation levels.

What?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Fabbri, Sanford & Blais - 1 year @ ~$950k
Barbashev - 2 years @ $1.5m
Sundqvist - 1 year @ $1.8m
Edmundson - 1 year @ $3m
Binnington - 1 year @ $3.5m

There isn't any reason for any of them to accept a two-way contract, and little incentive for the Blues to try and push that issue. Everyone should be getting a one-way deal.

Edmundson had a QO of $3m, I don't see him taking less unless we offer term. Despite the season he had, I think Armstrong will still discuss term with him.

Difficult to see anything other than a two-year bridge for Barbashev, since it is what Armstrong likes.

I could see Sundqvist getting term, but he put up 30 points and played 15+ minutes a night in the playoffs. I can't see him taking less than the $2.5m-$3m range if we're wanting to buy UFA years. Armstrong being all about players proving themselves makes the one year deal, keeping him a RFA next summer, the most likely scenario.

Who the hell knows with Binnington. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll have a different number.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Fabbri- 1yr/$950k
Sundqvist- 1yr/$2mil
Barbashev- 2yr/$3.7 mil w/$1.85mil aav
Blais- 1yr/$900k
Sanford- 1yr/$1.25mil
Edmundson- 1yr/$3.25mil
Binnington- 2yr/$7.50mil w/3.75mil aav

This leaves us with $2,212,073 in cap space if all we do this offseason is replace Maroon with Kyrou. This will be interesting how it all plays out.

I think Army is posturing with the Allen situation as well, so that would add a few more million after we would theoretically replace him with another 1B option.

Reactions: blues hillbilly

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
All contracts are 1-way unless otherwise noted. In order of how difficult I think they'll be:

Fabbri - 1 year, $900K. For 2-4-6 over 32 games, he's taking a pay cut since he's now eligible to be given a 2-way contract for lack of games played.

Blais - 1 year, $700K [2-way]. God love Sammy, but he's an energy guy; they don't make a lot of money, and if everyone is healthy he doesn't have a spot on the roster. That's why I don't see him getting a 1-way offer.

Sanford - 1 year, $1 million. I had him lower because he could also get a 2-way qualifying offer and then pinched with it, but he's arbitration-eligible. I think he files, but they settle early.

Edmundson - 3 years, $9 million. Maybe it goes 1-year only, but I don't think arbitration would be helpful for him. I think he takes some term and the Blues buy a year of UFA service.

Barbashev - 1 year, $1.75 million. I really don't know how to value a guy who put up 14-12-26 last season and has kind of averaged that over 163 career games, but seems like he was inconsistent until this season and still wasn't totally consistent this year. I can see as low as $1.2 million, I can see as high as $2.5 million. I think they land somewhere in the middle and it's 1-year as the Blues tell him "go do that again and prove it to us." He might file for arbitration, but I also think they settle early if he does.

Sundqvist - 1 year, $1.75 million. This might be low; for 17-14-31 and seeing how him out of the lineup impacted us, he'd have a compelling case in arbitration if it gets that far. I think he files and it goes up to near the date of the hearing before they agree on terms.

Binnington - 1 year, $4.5 million. It's more than Allen will make this year. The nightmare scenario is that he goes into arbitration and asks for $5.2 million, which is what Allen made this past season watching Binnington win the Cup, and then lays out a devastating case for how the Blues wouldn't have won without him. If he doesn't get an offer sheet quick, he'll go to arbitration [the Blues will file if he doesn't] and I think this goes right down to the last minute unless the Blues meet his settle price.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Not knowing your specific concern, suggest Google: NHL Qualifying Offers. Wiki has some basic info, also.
You lost me when you suggested offering amounts up to the draft pick compensation that the Blues would receive if another team sent an offer sheet, such compensation equaling or bettering the round in which the (hypothetically) offer sheeted player was originally selected by the Blues.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
In the past arbitration hearings and their decision was the only thing for fans to watch in the RFA process. Now offer sheets from other teams is serious with talk on the main board of other teams offer sheeting the cream of the RFA crop.

Army and other GMs may seriously start taking into consideration draft round compensation factors. Yeah, we can always match an offer. But it will have an effect on the cap situations throughout the league.

Kind of the new questions in my mind, how much more expensive to a team does offer sheets cost a team's RFA talent pool.

If a team seriously considering giving up 4 1st rounders for the cream of the crop, why not give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for someone like Sunny.

Is it for real this year or is it just crying wolf? Only the Shadow knows.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
You lost me when you suggested offering amounts up to the draft pick compensation that the Blues would receive if another team sent an offer sheet, such compensation equaling or bettering the round in which the (hypothetically) offer sheeted player was originally selected by the Blues.

It ain't getting any easier for any of us. This could get real complicated and ugly for opposing fans and the league.

Break out the lawn chairs, pop corn, beer and soda.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I doubt we get Sunny and Barby under 2M. Maybe Barby, definitely not Sunny.
Knowing how big progress Sundqvist made this is season mindboggling. Last year this point we discuss he would step big shoes in 4th line job. Take majority of Brodziak's PK job too.

Sundqvist became 30'ish center in one year after being depth forward.

Hell, no Sundqvist will take under 2.5mill.$ contract.

I see him become Tyler Bozak level player with much better 2-way skill which he has already.

Realistically I could see Sunny get ~3.5mill.$ x 3-4 years.

What IF he produce next year 40'ish? And we've gave him this summer 2mill$ x 1- year deal?

I don't believe Sundqvist will have downgrade season after this season. So most likely even or better season so 1-year deal would problematic next summer and how much he would ask/deserve.

Reactions: Renard

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
In the past arbitration hearings and their decision was the only thing for fans to watch in the RFA process. Now offer sheets from other teams is serious with talk on the main board of other teams offer sheeting the cream of the RFA crop.

Army and other GMs may seriously start taking into consideration draft round compensation factors. Yeah, we can always match an offer. But it will have an effect on the cap situations throughout the league.

Kind of the new questions in my mind, how much more expensive to a team does offer sheets cost a team's RFA talent pool.

If a team seriously considering giving up 4 1st rounders for the cream of the crop, why not give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for someone like Sunny.

Is it for real this year or is it just crying wolf? Only the Shadow knows.
Offer sheets are not going to be common.

The only reason that they are getting talked about this summer is because some teams have cap problems and have top players with RFA status.

We don't have cap problems and none of our RFAs have elite upside. There isn't any benefit for any GM to consider an offer sheet to our players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad