Predict the Leafs next off-season move. Trade and Free Agent

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think Dubas is far from done this off-season and is going to make a big splash. Besides Matt Martin likely being moved, I thought it would be fun after the Tavares signing to predict our next trade and free agent signing (if we sign more).

Trade:

A trade with re-signed Gardiner as the main piece going in a trade for Trouba or Dumba. Obviously there would be other pieces in the deal.
or
I could also see a deal for Chris Tanev (worried about this one given his injury history) that sees our 2019 1st as the main piece or Gardiner (if they can't re-sign him, they could trade him at the deadline for quite a bit).

Free Agent:

I am going to go out on a limb and say we lure Joe Thornton for a reasonable salary on a 1 year deal. He wants a cup and we look pretty attractive right now after the Tavares signing. Could be one of the vets Dubas was alluding to.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I predict Dubas trades/signs for some unheralded D that people question but in due time proves to be a good player.

His analytics team will come thru with a nice find.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I’m gonna go with something that hasn’t been mentioned at all, but seems like a good fit based on Dubas comments of vets willing to take short term deals now:

Free Agent: Dan Hamhuis, 1 year deal

Next trade: I’m going to bank on one of Sparks, Pickard or Mcilhenney being moved for a prospect of the same level as Sparks Pickard, but at C, someone who could compete with Lindholm for 4C

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think Dubas will try to add a veteran on a very short-term deal, Vermette, or dare I say it- could see Bieksa even (I think this was the veteran he may have been referring to in his scrums)

Or maybe a short-term deal for a guy like Shore/Demelo to try to win a spot at camp. Don't know if either will go with us, because they'd have better opportunity somewhere else.

The prize probably being CDH, depending on term/hit.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I’m gonna go with something that hasn’t been mentioned at all, but seems like a good fit based on Dubas comments of vets willing to take short term deals now:

Free Agent: Dan Hamhuis, 1 year deal

Next trade: I’m going to bank on one of Sparks, Pickard or Mcilhenney being moved for a prospect of the same level as Sparks Pickard, but at C, someone who could compete with Lindholm for 4C
I've talked to some Stars fans that have said that Hamhuis is little more than a warm body at this point.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I've talked to some Stars fans that have said that Hamhuis is little more than a warm body at this point.
Then their eyes are letting them down. Check this: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-pateryn-thriving-in-shutdown-role-1.958990

It would be similar to a Hainsey signing. Older guy who has adapted his game well and has good value. It’s not a long term solution, but he would be a good add as someone who can play the offside and can be comfortable anywhere from 15-25 mins a night on occasion as he used to be a stud.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think Dubas is far from done this off-season and is going to make a big splash. Besides Matt Martin likely being moved, I thought it would be fun after the Tavares signing to predict our next trade and free agent signing (if we sign more).

Trade:

A trade with re-signed Gardiner as the main piece going in a trade for Trouba or Dumba. Obviously there would be other pieces in the deal.
or
I could also see a deal for Chris Tanev (worried about this one given his injury history) that sees our 2019 1st as the main piece or Gardiner (if they can't re-sign him, they could trade him at the deadline for quite a bit).

Free Agent:

I am going to go out on a limb and say we lure Joe Thornton for a reasonable salary on a 1 year deal. He wants a cup and we look pretty attractive right now after the Tavares signing. Could be one of the vets Dubas was alluding to.
So Dubas hasn't made a big splash? o_O

Reactions: topched

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If people think CDH is going to be better than Gardiner, they're going to be disappointed. Leafs need to upgrade the right side and they'll be more than fine

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
If people think CDH is going to be better than Gardiner, they're going to be disappointed. Leafs need to upgrade the right side and they'll be more than fine

Honestly, I think they will be fine regardless. +1 Year on our core, JT, and the fact that we had a great season and took a good team to 7 games has me thinking that an upgrade on D isn't as urgent as these boards make it out to be.

Reactions: AxNjXn

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Honestly, I think they will be fine regardless. +1 Year on our core, JT, and the fact that we had a great season and took a good team to 7 games has me thinking that an upgrade on D isn't as urgent as these boards make it out to be.
Yeah we'll be fine regardless, but if we can add Tanev or something it will be better than fine. Our defense would probably be a strength in that case

Reactions: bentharbs

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah we'll be fine regardless, but if we can add Tanev or something it will be better than fine. Our defense would probably be a strength in that case

Certainly, you can always get better! Similarly, every team has some sort of weakness. Tough to have a strong offensive and defensive (and goaltended) team in a cap era.

As I have said elsewhere on the board, I think our strongest defense will be our world-class offense.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Certainly, you can always get better! Similarly, every team has some sort of weakness. Tough to have a strong offensive and defensive (and goaltended) team in a cap era.

As I have said elsewhere on the board, I think our strongest defense will be our world-class offense.
yeah it sounds simple, but the whole point of a hockey team is to outscore the opposition. And all of our defensemen were able to outscore the opposition while they were on the ice at 5v5, except for Polak. I'm not sure what more you can expect than that. If you outscore your opponent, you'll win most games

Reactions: bentharbs

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Probably still an addition to come on the blueline, perhaps de Haan. Perhaps a lesser one at LW as well depending on how Leivo is viewed, as it also sounds like Martin will be moved at some point.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Matt Martin for a 3rd in 2020
Curtis McElhinney for a 3rd in 2020
Anthony Duclair signs for 1 yr at 2M
Antoine Vermette or Nick Shore signs for 1 yr at 1.5M
Dan Hamhuis signs for 1 yr at 4M or Dylan Demelo 1 yr at 1.5M
William Nylander signs at 6.7M for 8 years
Jake Gardiner signs at 6M for 5 years
Nail Yakupov signs for 1 yr at 1M to play for the Marlies and is named captain

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If the trade market is dry or people are wanting too much for guys like Tanev/Faulk...im okay with taking De Haan and moving Rielly to the right side for a year (hes been there before). Also Hainsey eont be re-signed after this year (i dont think at least at his age) and Gardiner may want too much and be gone too after this year. So adding CDH isnt an awful idea if we have no other avenues.

Gardiner-Rielly
De Haan-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hope they move Martin (2.5m) + Carrick (1.3m) + Leivo (925K) and sign DeHaan for 3yr/12m with that cap space.

Leafs can continually fill the bottom six with low priced youngsters and UFA vets on 1 yr discounts looking to play with an elite offence (like Detroit all those years).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad