Predict: The Boston Bruins will finish the regular season with how many points earned?

The Boston Bruins will finish the regular season with how many points earned?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
As of January 16, 2023 the Bruins have earned 72 points through 43 games.

• If the team stays on its' current pace, they will finish with 137 points.
  • If the team earns points throughout the rest of the season at league average pace (.552), they will finish with 115 points.
  • If the team earns points at league worst pace (.317), they will finish with 96 points.
The NHL all-time record for points earned in a regular season is 132. *Based on an 82-game season and using points percentage, the record would be 135.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think it will be right on the cusp of the middle and top option. Right about 125.

I voted for 125+ because I am a Bruins fan after all.

The truth is that as long as they stay around this far ahead of the pack, making smart decisions in terms of player utilization at the end of the regular season is going to be far more meaningful than accruing points. You’ll also be running into lower playoff seed teams playing like top seeds as they get desperate at the end.

Also, a higher share of road games in the the latter half of the year could add some headwinds.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I never thought the Bruins could wind up winning the Presidents' Trophy but here we are.

The one obvious thing is the guys are having FUN playing the game.

The sudden death of team chef Keith Garmen playing in a pickup game the day before the season started motivated them in ways we as outsiders do not know.

1673966097744.png

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Teams are going to be pencilling in losses, playing back-ups and packing it in if The Bruins score first.

The only things that stop them from passing 125 will be them falling asleep at the wheel or injuries.

Reactions: bbfan419

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
105-124.

I’d be pretty liberal with rest days in March.

It’ll be a long journey to June and the promised land and there’s a lot of mileage on some key cogs.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Tough one to answer because I think we end up somewhere in the low to mid 120s. That's right at the cutoff between the top two choices in the survey. Here's my math:

Project the points percentage of our current Road Record (13-4-1) over the remaining 39 games and you get 58 more points. That gets you to 130. Deduct 6-10 for when we lock up home ice and shut it down over the last two weeks of the season and, boom. I'll go with 124. Right at the top of the range for Option B.

Last edited:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
This team to me embodies everything that is means to put on the Jersey. Integrity, hard work, and a never quit attitude. Every member of this team has that in spades. It is a special group that clearly cares about putting on that jersey as much as I care about that jersey as a die hard fan. I would be surprised if this team doesn't go on a slump at some point, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they continued at their current pace. I think they'll end up between 120 and 130 points.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Update for those who would still like to participate in the poll:

As of January 23, 2023 the Bruins have earned 78 points through 46 games.

• If the team stays on its' current pace, they will finish with 139 points.
  • If the team earns points throughout the rest of the season at league average pace (.552), they will finish with 117 points.
  • If the team earns points at league worst pace (.326), they will finish with 101 points.
The NHL all-time record for points earned in a regular season is 132. *Based on an 82-game season and using points percentage, the record would be 135.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It’s unreasonable to expect this extreme level of success to continue. Then again it’s been over half a season

I still think they’ll slow down, and start resting players after the all star break. I will say 123

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Lots of back-to-backs down the stretch, and we'll have our position sorted and be facing other teams scratching and clawing for their playoff spots. I reckon they'll rest Ullmark a little bit and even call up Kinkaid for some of the weekend B2Bs at the end of the year to take strain off Swayman too.

That said, I don't think they're going to flat out take the last month off. If they keep up at a typical modest division-leader pace of .625, which would be 22-13-1, which is 45 more points and puts them at 123. I'd round it up to 127 or so though, 22-9-5 gets them there. Seems fair.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Final few hours to vote in the poll, if you'd like.

As of February 27, 2023 the Bruins have earned 97 points through 59 games.

• If the team stays on its' current pace, they will finish with 134 points.
  • If the team earns points throughout the rest of the season at league average pace (.557), they will finish with 122 points.
  • If the team earns points at league worst pace (.367), they will finish with 113 points.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal, so being rested and ready for the playoffs is top priority, but if they have a shot at the all-time points record in the final week of the season, that does mean something and I'm sure it means something to Bergy and the players on the team to have that on their resume. Plus, what makes this team special is even if you rest 2 or 3 key starters, they're still really good.

Also, look at their scedule from March 28th onward

Preds (out of the race)
CBJ (tanking)
@ Penguins (will probably be fighting for a WC still)
@ Blues (they've given up and are selling)
Leafs (Tough)
Devils (Tough)
@ Flyers (tanking)
Caps (Sellers)
@ Habs (Le Tank)

Of the final nine games, 2 are going to be legitimately tough matchups (though both are at home and both are in similar situations where they also need to be ready for Tampa and the Rangers respectively), 1 is against a team who will be scrapping to get into the playoffs, and 6 are teams who have given up. We could bench the top 6 and put half of Providence in the lineup for the final 9 games and probably come out of it 5-4 at worst.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I told @LouJersey when they had 29 games left and 40 wins, they'd end up with 59 wins. I don't know what point wise that means, but that's my prediction.

But I agree with him that this smells of a jinx thread.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I chose the first option. They win tonight, get to 99 pts, and then NEVER WIN ANOTHER GAME in the regular season.

Then they win 16 in a row and we all get drunk.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00