Speculation: Predict the 6th seed

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
Let's face it, we aren't good enough to catch Anaheim for the second seed, and we certainly aren't good to enough to catch up to Chicago.

That leaves the 3rd seed for the Canucks and a showdown vs the 6th seed.

As it stands right now, the 6th seed is Dallas Stars, but positions between 4 - 11 are wideopen, and are only separated by 3 points max. 4th seed Nashville is at 23 points, while the 11th seed Minnesota is at 20 points.

It's tough to say what will eventually happen, but one thing is for sure. The Canucks will win their division and finish with the 3rd seed (barring a major collapse)

In my opinion, Dallas would be the easiest compared to Sharks, Red Wings, and even the Kings.

Essentially, who would you like to see the Canucks face in the first round.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Anaheim will come off their hot-streak once Viktor Fasth cools off. Hiller has been bad this year. Soon they will have to make a decision whether to hold onto Getzlaf and Perry, especially if it becomes clear they aren't going to re-sign in Anaheim. I think they will probably end up in 3rd seed. Vancouver will probably pick up enough points in divisional games to take the 2nd seed.

Who do the Canucks want to face? Dallas.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Unless we blow it and lose the NW division title. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Unless we blow it and lose the NW division title. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here.

Correct. No need to project this far ahead. But in the land of fantasy, if they did secure the 3rd spot, I think the 6th seed would be the LA Kings because a poor season needs the perfect ending.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
If they finish third they won't be playing well enough to last more than a round, maybe two.

So it really doesn't matter.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
If they finish third they won't be playing well enough to last more than a round, maybe two.

So it really doesn't matter.

You mean like LA who finished 8th and in their last two regular season games blew a 2 goal third period lead to lose both times?

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
You mean like LA who finished 8th and in their last two regular season games blew a 2 goal third period lead to lose both times?

I mean like the Canucks who played like crap for half a season and got embarrassed in the first round.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary

I don't think it's fair to look at LA's last two games. After the coaching change LA was a completely different team. They were very confident going into the playoffs and I remember being very wary of playing them as well. Much better than an 8th seed and everyone knew it.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I don't think it's fair to look at LA's last two games. After the coaching change LA was a completely different team. They were very confident going into the playoffs and I remember being very wary of playing them as well. Much better than an 8th seed and everyone knew it.

I don't remember the last season I didn't hear about how the "8th seed is better than an 8th seed".

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Correct. No need to project this far ahead. But in the land of fantasy, if they did secure the 3rd spot, I think the 6th seed would be the LA Kings because a poor season needs the perfect ending.

Came here to say exactly this. Honestly, I want it to be the Kings. That way if we do get bounced it may be enough to end AV's tenure.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I have a feeling it's going to be Dallas. The games against them this year have had a lot emotion between the two teams and pretty entertaining hockey to watch.

I think it would be a fun series and one of easier ones for the Canucks. It gets my vote.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I have a feeling it's going to be Dallas. The games against them this year have had a lot emotion between the two teams and pretty entertaining hockey to watch.

I think it would be a fun series and one of easier ones for the Canucks. It gets my vote.

And the seeds would be sown for Canucks fans to start hating their native sons, Jamie Benn and Brenden Dillion.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Canucks ought to finish second, Anaheim will be in tough as the Kings turn it on, they won't be second with that division, no way. We have such an easy sked this month, April's not terrible either except that last week. I think we will finally have that Vancouver-Detroit matchup everyone's been wanting for years, Wings will be a dangerous 7th seed.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I hate talking about playoffs when we're 19 games into the season.

It shouldn't be, "It's a given we will win the NW again" because it's not. What if Edmonton and Minnesota turn on the jets and we continue to slump. All of the sudden, we're in 9th place panicking and EDM and MIN are laughing their way into the playoffs because we think it's a "given" that not only we make the playoffs, but win the NW Division. We're missing 1 of our Top-3 forwards for virtually the entire season, It's not going to be a walk in the park to win the division this year like everyone thinks it will. What if a Sedin goes down next? Luongo? Edler? Schneider? All of the sudden we need our depth guys (Ebbett, Barker, Vandermeer etc.) to really step it up and fill some big shoes.

It's the NHL people, anything can happen.

keslerbomb

Dec 13, 2011
Victoria
Anaheim will come off their hot-streak once Viktor Fasth cools off. Hiller has been bad this year. Soon they will have to make a decision whether to hold onto Getzlaf and Perry, especially if it becomes clear they aren't going to re-sign in Anaheim. I think they will probably end up in 3rd seed. Vancouver will probably pick up enough points in divisional games to take the 2nd seed.

Who do the Canucks want to face? Dallas.

Why do you assume Fasth will cool off, but Hiller won't rebound? Hillers been very good the past few seasons, I can't see him doing to poorly.

keslerbomb

Dec 13, 2011
Victoria
I hate talking about playoffs when we're 19 games into the season.

It shouldn't be, "It's a given we will win the NW again" because it's not. What if Edmonton and Minnesota turn on the jets and we continue to slump. All of the sudden, we're in 9th place panicking and EDM and MIN are laughing their way into the playoffs because we think it's a "given" that not only we make the playoffs, but win the NW Division. We're missing 1 of our Top-3 forwards for virtually the entire season, It's not going to be a walk in the park to win the division this year like everyone thinks it will. What if a Sedin goes down next? Luongo? Edler? Schneider? All of the sudden we need our depth guys (Ebbett, Barker, Vandermeer etc.) to really step it up and fill some big shoes.

It's the NHL people, anything can happen.

Luckily, what we the fans think doesn't matter at all. Just because some forum users are assuming we're going to win the division doesn't mean the players/coaches are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad