Predict the 2005 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
time said:
It's Canada's tourney to lose, which of course is entirely possible. But many of their young guns are playing on the big ice right now. Throw in a half dozen "cold" players like Iginla, Sakic, Brodeur, Pronger, etc... and you have a very good team.

This team will be led by the likes of Thornton, Lecavalier and Heatley. New additions would be Briere, Morrison and a couple more.

That's enough to win on paper. . . we'll see what happens on the ice.

Wow, those are really good players! What d-men are currently playing in Europe? And goalies? But with those forwards they look really good...

time

Feb 26, 2005
I've started a new thread on Canada's roster. The possibilities are getting me psyched.

espo*

wilka91 said:
Are you serious?

You're the first person who tells me that the IIHF World Championship actually means something. Because in fact, it means nothing as long as the countries are not represented by its best players.
I don't think they will this year either,top players from several clubs have already said they are'nt playing and it's still early.....and the early line on teams such as Canada and the U.S is that they are going to be relying on a mix of top players and what players are currently playing in Europe right now....not necessarily their very top players.It appears you will have to wait another year before you can see a true best on best world championships for the first time.It will be higher quality then usual but best on best? Does'nt look like it...some teams may have all their best on board but it's looking like several won't.

espo*

12# Peter Bondra said:
I remember pre-2003 WC's Canadians said that the WC's were nothing as the best dont compete.

And now as they won the last two, its an important tournament.
2003? I disagree.sure,Canadians are well aware the tournament is not top notch but we still view it as important.Before Euorpeans came to the nhl Russia and Czecholslavakia could send their best teams and we could'nt,factor in the hose job the tournament officials used to do to us over there and we basically had no chance to win but we still wanted to win it while realising if we did'nt win it it was no real indication on the top strentgh of our hockey program as you guys could have your best team(playing together year round no less and on your surface with your rules!!) while we were not afforded the same posibilities.

In short,Canadian fans knew we could beat you and once the odds evened up and both your teams had to play within the same realities as ours(players in nhl and in playoffs) then the results changed and of course we have taken more interest and now say it's a very important tournament because now it is on a level playing field of competitive realities. In short,it's more important to us now because it is no longer weighed heavily in your favor before it begins. You may not like to admit the truth of this but that's that straight dope gentlemen.........there are not too many regular world championships for you guys anymore are there? it gets spread around now among the other countries does'nt it? And that sirs,is why it is now an important championship to us while before it was not(not as inportant as best on best tournaments but important)

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
cyclops said:
there are not too many regular world championships for you guys anymore are there?
The Czechoslovaks won 4 in a row from 1999 to 2002 :teach:

They never did that "before".

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
jdhebner said:
Is there a website for the WC? Would someone please post if there is? Thanks

I can't believe there are still people who can't use the Internet while actually using it. :eek:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Mr.Brownov said:
IMO i'm thinking the Finns might take it this year.They gave Canada a great game for the World Cup.And there is alot of Canadian players this season who aren't in game shape.Also quite possibly no influence from Super Mario.

I don't think so. We'll be playing without Kiprusoff, S. Koivu, Selänne, Lehtinen, T. Ruutu, S. Kapanen, Numminen, Lydman and a few others, possibly Timonen as well.

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
jdhebner said:
Thanks. This site didn't show up when I searched under World Cup of Hockey 2005 Austria Official Site" (the 2004 site did). Guess I didn't know the magic word.

That's weird because it should have showed up, use google in the future and you will have no problems!!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
nikki9 said:
That's weird because it should have showed up, use google in the future and you will have no problems!!

Google is man's best friend, not the dog. :D

espo*

My hunch is the Czechs will take the title this year......they'll be looking pretty strong on paper anyway.Just a feeling they are due this time after the world cup and with their top guns available.They should be real difficult to beat in Austria this year and i think they are looking for redemption for last years dissapointment in Praque.They are my early pick if i had to lay money down.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
jdhebner said:
Is there a website for the WC? Would someone please post if there is? Thanks

The official WC site will most likely be the same as the last few years. It's not updated yet but previous years they haven't done that this early either, but check it out from time to time and it might be updated within a couple weeks with fresh info about the 2005 tournament, I would think.

http://www.ihwc.net/

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Petey21 said:
The official WC site will most likely be the same as the last few years. It's not updated yet but previous years they haven't done that this early either, but check it out from time to time and it might be updated within a couple weeks with fresh info about the 2005 tournament, I would think.

http://www.ihwc.net/

It's already here : http://web1.icehockey2005.com/

The domain name will change to www.ihwc.net in the upcoming weeks

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
12# Peter Bondra said:
2002 quarters Russia beat the Czechs
2002 Olympics
I think in the 2003 WC's they beat the Czechs.

And its my opinion.

Yes, they beat us in Salt Lake City. Even though we outshot them big time, they overall deserved it. They played very smart hockey :bow: In 2003 we beat them 3:0 in the 1/4finals... Sure you can have your opinion but I have no idea on what it is based upon:dunno:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Rogalo said:
Yes, they beat us in Salt Lake City. Even though we outshot them big time, they overall deserved it. They played very smart hockey :bow: In 2003 we beat them 3:0 in the 1/4finals... Sure you can have your opinion but I have no idea on what it is based upon:dunno:

For me, it's always been 50/50 between them. Except that the Russians tend to win the "next game" : I mean if there was 101 games, Russia would probably get 51 wins.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Rogalo said:
You have a very short memory my friend. WC 2003? Bronze medal game? Guess who was your oponent :amazed:
HOW could I forget that? :eek:

But Ill never forget Demitra undressing Vokoun :handclap: . :yo:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Rogalo said:
Lets say I forgot how the 03 WC's happened. I just dont remember NOTHING from them except 2 things:

Palffy doing 2 circles around the Austria net and passing to Visnovsky who scores.
Demitra scoring on Vokoun.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
12# Peter Bondra said:
Lets say I forgot how the 03 WC's happened. I just dont remember NOTHING from them except 2 things:

Palffy doing 2 circles around the Austria net and passing to Visnovsky who scores.
Demitra scoring on Vokoun.

:) You know what I remember the most? The absolute thrashing we got from Heatley and company in the semifinals (4:8 :eek: ) and the Demitra goal. That was great piece of skill :handclap: Too bad he did not score it to a goalie of a different nationality :)

kjri

Mar 18, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Group A
(1) Russia
(2) Slovakia
(3) Belarus
(4) Austria

Group D
(1) Czech Rep.
(2) Switzerland