Predict the 2005 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Granted that it's going to be a best on best tournament, I think it's intresting to make some predictions.

So here are my stadings for each group and the results of the playoff :

Group A
(1) Russia
(2) Slovakia
(3) Belarus
(4) Austria

Group D
(1) Czech Rep.
(2) Switzerland
(3) Germany
(4) Kazakhstan

Group B
(1) Canada
(2) USA
(3) Lativa
(4) Slovenia

Group C
(1) Sweden
(2) Finland
(3) Ukraine
(4) Denmark

Group E
(1) Czech Republic
(2) Russia
(3) Slovakia
(4) Germany

(5) Switzerland
(6) Belarus

Group F
(1) Sweden
(2) Canada
(3) Finland
(4) USA

(5) Latvia
(6) Ukraine

Quarterfinals
Czech Rep. 4-2 USA
Canada 4-1 Slovakia

Russia 4-2 Finland
Sweden 5-1 Germany

Semifinals
Russia 3-0 Sweden
Czech Rep. 3-2 Canada OT

3rd place
Canada 2-1 Sweden

Final
Czech Rep. 4-3 Russia OT

Final standings
1. Cze
2. Rus
3. Can

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Depends which Russia shows up. Russia in the 04 WC's didnt even make the quarters with a fairly good squad. If the good one shows up, finals are possible.

Who do you see relegated?

BTW, CZE havent won a medal in the last 3 WC's. They havent even made the semis the last 3 years. I dont expect them to win. On paper they are good but games arent won on paper.

And dont forget, Russia usually beat's the Czech's so if there is a CZE-RUS game, I expect RUS to win.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
12# Peter Bondra said:
Depends which Russia shows up. Russia in the 04 WC's didnt even make the quarters with a fairly good squad. If the good one shows up, finals are possible.

BTW, CZE havent won a medal in the last 3 WC's. They havent even made the semis the last 3 years. I dont expect them to win. On paper they are good but games arent won on paper.

Do not forget that this will be the first "real" World Championship ever ... so all the past results are meaningless.

And regarding Russia, they had a "B" squad at the World Cup (I did predict their 5th place like most people here) ... this year's team won't have more than half of the players from that "World Cup", so I have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
wilka91 said:
Do not forget that this will be the first "real" World Championship ever ... so all the past results are meaningless.

And regarding Russia, they had a "B" squad at the World Cup (I did predict their 5th place like most people here) ... this year's team won't have more than half of the players from that "World Cup", so I have nothing to worry about.
Past results arent meaningless cause then what would the WCs be for?

And we NEED a new coach. Our coach prefers a style of "score a goal and defend the 1-0 lead". Like Jacques Martin during the playoffs.

A team with Gaborik, Palffy and Hossa CANT play this style.

That was my rant BTW.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
12# Peter Bondra said:
Past results arent meaningless cause then what would the WCs be for?

Are you serious?

You're the first person who tells me that the IIHF World Championship actually means something. Because in fact, it means nothing as long as the countries are not represented by its best players.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
wilka91 said:
Are you serious?

You're the first person who tells me that the IIHF World Championship actually means something. Because in fact, it means nothing as long as the countries are not represented by its best players.
A lot of Europeans think they have value From what I heard). I so far HAVENT heard a person who said that the WC's mean nothing.

And then the Olympics are meaningless too. We couldnt have had all of our best players in the qualifing section in Salt Lake. And that maybe happen AGAIN in Turin if they dont decide if the NHL players will be allowed or not.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Even if it's not a best on best tournament, calling the worlds meaningless is ridiculous. Player depth is they key to win that tournament, and no one can deny it's a direct result of the quality of a country's hockey program.

By the way, it's funny to see that the worlds meant everything to russian fans in the 80's, but it's meaningless since 1993, when for some canadians it's just the opposite. I had to come to the conclusion that according to most hockey fans, the meaningfull tournament is the one their favorite team wins.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
stv11 said:
Even if it's not a best on best tournament, calling the worlds meaningless is ridiculous. Player depth is they key to win that tournament, and no one can deny it's a direct result of the quality of a country's hockey program.

By the way, it's funny to see that the worlds meant everything to russian fans in the 80's, but it's meaningless since 1993, when for some canadians it's just the opposite. I had to come to the conclusion that according to most hockey fans, the meaningfull tournament is the one their favorite team wins.
I remember pre-2003 WC's Canadians said that the WC's were nothing as the best dont compete.

And now as they won the last two, its an important tournament.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
After a convincing round robin play, Team Sweden, full of over weight, lazy, floating "stars" born 1970-1973 choke in the most spectacular way by getting their asses handed to them by a feisty, young and energetic Swiss team, lead by SEL top players Marcel Jenni, Martin Plüss and Martin Gerber.

Canada later wins the gold.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Well, that would be a SHOCK as Switzerland plays a VERY defensive system.

But I personally dont think SWI will go to the quarters. Germany led by Hecht, Sturm, Kolzig among others should be better than Switzerland.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
wilka91 said:
And regarding Russia, they had a "B" squad at the World Cup.
If so, when are they going to get their "A" team in some tournament? They have had very good teams on the paper in lot of Worlds. Only "problem" has been the denials from NHL -goalies, but in reality they have fallen in lack of team spirit.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
12# Peter Bondra said:
Well, that would be a SHOCK as Switzerland plays a VERY defensive system.

Yeah which suits Sweden lousy since we will bombard the very capable Martin Gerber with tons of really useless shots and then make ourselves vulnerable to their counterattacks.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
mikkoz said:
If so, when are they going to get their "A" team in some tournament? They have had very good teams on the paper in lot of Worlds. Only "problem" has been the denials from NHL -goalies, but in reality they have fallen in lack of team spirit.

Listen, Russia sent 2 good squads to the 1998 and 2002 Olympics. Before those 2 tournaments I had said that Russia wouldn't finish without a medal with such players, and in the end, I was right. Before the 2004 World Cup I said Russia wouldn't make the semifinals, and many people made the same prediction simply based the roster, which wasn't good enough to win.

Did you hear somebody say that Russia was the favorite for the 2004 World Cup? Personally never heard a such thing. But I did hear that before Nagano and Salt Lake, and not only from Russians.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
wilka91 said:
Before the 2004 World Cup I said Russia wouldn't make the semifinals, and many people made the same prediction simply based the roster, which wasn't good enough to win.
So you can easily say that if Russia looks bad on paper, they wont win medals?

wilka91 said:
Did you hear somebody say that Russia was the favorite for the 2004 World Cup? Personally never heard a such thing.
Only favourites to World cup are usually Canada and USA. Plus Sweden was looking really good on paper.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
mikkoz said:

While I don't fully agree with wilka that it was "B" team, I think team Russia would be notably stronger and more solid with Khabby, Nabby, Fedorov, Zhamnov, Danny Markov, Malakhov, Zubov and if it ever be possible Mogilny. These are all top 2 line players and elite goalies that would make difference.

Last edited:

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Slay said:
While I don't fully agree with wilka that it was "B" team, I think team Russia would be notably stronger and more solid with Khabby, Nabby, Fedorov, Zhamnov, Danny Markov, Malakhov, Zubov and if it ever be possible Mogilny. These are all top 2 line players and elite goalies that would make difference.

Although Russia would be stronger with those players, everyone in Russia was impressed the way our WC team played. It was unlucky in second game against USA, but the players played like a team. While usually they plays for themselves...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
The Czechs will show up en masse and dominate as they were doing in international competitions a few years ago.

That's where the smart money is. It doesn't mean they will be the odds on favourites.

I personall would like to see Slovakia or Finland win it, or the USA, for the good of the sport.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Group A:
1. Russia
2. Slovakia
3. Belarus
4. Austria

Group D:
1. Czech Republic
2. Germany
3. Switzerland
4. Kazakhstan

Group B:
1. Canada
2. USA
3. Latvia
4. Slovenia

Group C:
1. Sweden
2. Finland
3. Ukraine
4. Denmark

Group E:
1. Czech Republic
2. Russia
3. Slovakia
4. Germany
5. Switzerland
6. Belarus

Group F:
1. Canada
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. USA
5. Latvia
6. Ukraine

Quarter-Finals:
Czech Republic defeats USA, 3-2
Finland defeats Slovakia- 4-2

Canada defeats Germany, 6-1
Sweden defeats Russia, 3-2(OT)

Semi-Finals:
Czech Republic defeats Finland, 3-1
Canada defeats Sweden, 2-1

3rd Place:
Sweden defeats Finland, 3-2

Finals:
Canada defeats Czech Republic, 2-1

Final Standings:
1. Canada
2. Czech Republic
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. USA
8. Germany
9. Switzerland
10. Latvia
11. Belarus
12. Ukraine
13. Kazakhstan
14. Austria
15. Denmark
16. Slovenia

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Rogalo said:
Ahhh, just a question - how did you come up with this?
2002 quarters Russia beat the Czechs
2002 Olympics
I think in the 2003 WC's they beat the Czechs.

And its my opinion.

afinogenov

Sep 17, 2004
Russia just has to win this years title. They can have such a great squad and such a good coach. There's no other way: Russia will make it this year. :yo:

Mr.Brownov*

IMO i'm thinking the Finns might take it this year.They gave Canada a great game for the World Cup.And there is alot of Canadian players this season who aren't in game shape.Also quite possibly no influence from Super Mario.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I think that the european teams will have a big advantage this year. Canada has the best eliteplayer depth but many of them are not in the best shape for a tough WC-tournament.

The Slovaks have a lot of stars playing in the european leagues and doing well. Goalscoring will never be a problem for them. But now they have the most dominating defensemen in the world in Chara. He alone can almost make the slovak team balanced. And just now is Stana doing a splendid playoff series in the SEL. I think the slovaks have a good chance of winning this year.

I think Sweden too has a good chance. When it comes to big stars and balanced teams the swedes look good. The World Cup fiasco was to a great extent because of poor netminding. But now they have Henrik Lundqvist in net who has been outplaying goalies like Theodore, Gerber, Kiprusoff, Fernandez, Nurminen, Boucher etc. Add Näslund, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Jönsson, Modin, Marcus Nilson, Sedins, Holmström and possibly Forsberg to the offense. The defense doesn't look as strong but decent: Tjärnqvist, Hävelid, Bäckman, Niclas Wallin and possibly Norström.

The russians might be a threat. They have a lot of outstanding players. But they often seem to have bad chemistry and don't play with teir heart.
I'm not well updated with the czech team. But I think they have a bigger chance if they leave lazy stars like Jagr off the team.
The Finns will have a good team. But might lack goalscorers. I'm afraid to much responsibility will be put upon Jokinen.

My ranking (The big 7)

1. Slovakia
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. Canada
5. Czech rep
6. Russia
7. USA

time

Feb 26, 2005
It's Canada's tourney to lose, which of course is entirely possible. But many of their young guns are playing on the big ice right now. Throw in a half dozen "cold" players like Iginla, Sakic, Brodeur, Pronger, etc... and you have a very good team.

This team will be led by the likes of Thornton, Lecavalier and Heatley. New additions would be Briere, Morrison and a couple more.

That's enough to win on paper. . . we'll see what happens on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->