Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I'm not shocked there's no new deal yet. He really doesn't sound like he wants to go anywhere. I don't know who he's repped by, but a possible scenario is that Roman personally doesn't care what the money is as long as it's fair, but his agent(s) have been hearing for long enough now how he's severely underpaid and they want the number as high as possible, even if the client doesn't really care. That does happen.

he signed with Wasserman's hockey division Orr Hockey Group last October, same group that represents McDavid, Matthews, Carlson, Ellis etc

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
he signed with Wasserman's hockey division Orr Hockey Group last October, same group that represents McDavid, Matthews, Carlson, Ellis etc
Big shot agents; worst thing ever happened to clubs; best thing ever happened to players.
Causes more problems than necessary.
Mark it down; there is a problem in the Josi negotiation and it is the agent!

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
it's officially a problem.
Yeah... both sides will say they are comfortable negotiating into the season and want to get something done and Josi wants to stay, yada yada. But what has changed from last week? Last month? The parameters of the deal shouldn't be that hard to figure out if both sides really want to get it done. That it's not done by now says there are problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: PredsV82

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I wasn't really concerned at all, but knowing now that he signed with a new agency last summer does make me a little nervous as I'm sure a new agent will want to prove his worth, especially since Josi has been on such a team friendly deal for a while.

Hopefully Josi doesn't forget that he still has all of the power and doesn't let things get out of hand.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I wasn't really concerned at all, but knowing now that he signed with a new agency last summer does make me a little nervous as I'm sure a new agent will want to prove his worth, especially since Josi has been on such a team friendly deal for a while.

Hopefully Josi doesn't forget that he still has all of the power and doesn't let things get out of hand.
Yes, it turned out to be a very good contract for the Preds. Just remember that when it was signed Josi had not put up any numbers. It was based on potential and he was suspect for dangerous concussion injuries. He did begin to put up good numbers every year and ultimately rose to captain.
But at the time it was signed I think he got a pretty good deal; sbout $28 M worth.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
I renember I read something in the Swiss media that Josi at the time pushed for a longer deal on lower AAV in stead of a shorter bridge type deal.
At the time I think he missed part of the previous season on a concussion and as the stereotype swiss guy he opted for security rather than high risk - high reward.

Reactions: OldFan and PredsV82

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Maybe Josi is waiting until mid season or later so he can prove what he can do when he's finally considered the top Dman on the team. This will be the first year that he hasn't had someone that has been higher in league wide rankings on the team.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Maybe Josi is waiting until mid season or later so he can prove what he can do when he's finally considered the top Dman on the team. This will be the first year that he hasn't had someone that has been higher in league wide rankings on the team.

I think it just boils down to he knows hes been playing at a massive discount and now he wants his cake. I'm hopeful that there will come a point where he tells his agent just to take Poiles best offer so he can move on. I suspect his agent is telling him he needs to make Poile sweat. I just hope his agent isnt telling him he should get a whole lot more than Poile is offering.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think it just boils down to he knows hes been playing at a massive discount and now he wants his cake. I'm hopeful that there will come a point where he tells his agent just to take Poiles best offer so he can move on. I suspect his agent is telling him he needs to make Poile sweat. I just hope his agent isnt telling him he should get a whole lot more than Poile is offering.

At this point I think the most likely hold up is Josi wanting some sort of trade protection rather than salary issues. I think Josi is being earnest when he says he wants to stay in Nashville, and that he's probably willing to take less than his market value. However, he's now seen both Weber and Subban get moved despite still being upper tier defensemen and the faces of the franchise. If I'm him and I'm willing to have the loyalty to take a discount I want to know that I'm not getting moved, but giving those assurances has never been Poile's M.O.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
What we know ... negotiations paused over the summer but are now ongoing. Josi has a new agent. The season starts in nine days.

What we don't know ... the status of the negotiations. Maybe the discussion is when to announce an agreement or maybe they are miles apart on every aspect from term, salary, movement protection, shape of negotiating table.

Both Josi and Poile are saying the right things but we aren't seeing movement. I'll get concerned in a week or so ... worried sometime around New Year's ... and join the full blown panic mode 7 minutes before the trade deadline ... if needed.

Reactions: PredsHead

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
It’s certainly interesting to comment on Preds and Josi contract negoitiations. It can make one peeved at both parties. Like “Git ‘er done, dummies”, don’t they know we posters want this done?
But really it is just 2 honorable parties trying to do the best they can for their side. I’ve been through a lot of contract negotiations and if the parties both want it done, they will find common ground.
In the meantime we’ll continue to get the old, tired quotes from the parties about how much they love each other.

Reactions: NNCbama

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
What we know ... negotiations paused over the summer but are now ongoing. Josi has a new agent. The season starts in nine days.

What we don't know ... the status of the negotiations. Maybe the discussion is when to announce an agreement or maybe they are miles apart on every aspect from term, salary, movement protection, shape of negotiating table.

Both Josi and Poile are saying the right things but we aren't seeing movement. I'll get concerned in a week or so ... worried sometime around New Year's ... and join the full blown panic mode 7 minutes before the trade deadline ... if needed.

If he isn't signed by 1-26-20 (ASG ... He's got to be put on the Market immediately) which in all reality, it may be too late by that time.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If he isn't signed by 1-26-20 (ASG ... He's got to be put on the Market immediately) which in all reality, it may be too late by that time.
Naw, it still has to depend on a lot more than just the date. I mean, if we are looking real good and Josi and the new 4-1 PP is clicking, we aren't going to break up a contending team just because free agency looms. Maybe in that scenario he prices himself out of town. Or maybe it makes him even more inclined to stay. Who knows. But we don't drop our #1D during a Cup pursuit, regardless.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
it's officially a problem.

tenor.gif

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/inside...ause-domino-effect-for-remaining-rfas~1788867

Josi part starts at 2:45.

Predators want Josi at around 8.5 million, while Josi's camp wants +9 million him and for him to become the 3rd highest paid D-man after Karlsson and Doughty.

Well, if he played the 3rd best defenseman in the league I'd have no issue with it. He's not a top 3 defenseman. EK, Doughty, Burns and Hedman are all better. He's in the next tier of defensemen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Really anything much more than 8.5 for him and you are starting to get into the overpaid category. I have a strange feeling if he does sign, it will be because the money isn't that far apart, he tells his guys to take less and its over with. Granted I'm in a different position, but if 500k a year is the issue on an 8 million+ a year contract, I say the heck with it and sign. If you can't live off 64 million+ another couple isn't going to help you.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
With that small of a difference, Poile should have some leverage with the extra year. If Josi signs with Nashville he can get 8x8.5 = $68M

If he walks, he can only sign for 7 seasons with another team, meaning it would have to be a $9.7M contract to get the same guarantee. And I know we always play down the notion, but taxes and cost of living would have to play a role in it as well, even if it's just a small fraction of a % difference.

Is someone else really going to give Josi north of $9.7M?

Is it worth that gamble (injury, performance) when you have a full season to go before you could even negotiate with other teams?

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it's fair for him wanting to be the best-paid player in Nashville but yeah, he's not in that tier with Karlsson & Burns.

I would give him $9-9,25M but probably not more than that.

Reactions: predfan24

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Well, if he played the 3rd best defenseman in the league I'd have no issue with it. He's not a top 3 defenseman. EK, Doughty, Burns and Hedman are all better. He's in the next tier of defensemen.
I love Josi but you are right. Anything around 9 mil is an overpay IMO.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I love Josi but you are right. Anything around 9 mil is an overpay IMO.

The defenseman market is really weird with Karlsson and Doughty's contracts being so much larger than the next tier. I agree that $9 million is probably what I would put on the upper limit for a good deal for Josi, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see some team willing to shell out $10 million a year for him as a free agent if it came to that.

I still have to imagine some of the holdup has to do with the terms of a NTC/NMC. Almost all the other top tier defenseman's contracts have pretty stringent NTC/NMC clauses. My guess is that Poile's reported $8.5 million offer is like Duchene's with not trade protection early on and then a small list at the tail end of the deal, whereas Josi's ask is for $9+ million with a more generous NTC or NMC for all of the years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would give up the NTC/NMC clauses very quickly to keep the AAV lower. To me, Josi can be a lifer. I don't envision WANTING to trade him at any point. And if it ever does get to a scenario where both sides would like a change, those things can be waived. He's one of the rare players where I just don't worry about that though. He'd be like Rinne. We aren't saddled with a lot of those clauses on our payroll. If anybody could get one, it's Josi.

And for the first time in forever, we're actually up against the cap. We have a good lineup. We should still be in a contention window for several years. Every $$$ save on the cap is worth something to help make our team better. Also, when an 8-year deal ends, it's not like Josi is going to be just 32. He'll be 38. There has to be some dropoff and I think it's reasonable that we don't want a high AAV on him in those final years. We'll still want him on the team. But we're probably in trouble if he's still one of our top players at that time.

So give him some bonus money up front that he can invest and make some nice ROI on in the meantime, give him whatever he wants on NTC/NMC clauses, and drag that AAV as low as possible... that's what's going to help us WIN.

8x$8M, full NMC. Load it $10-10-8-8-8-8-6-6 or something like that, with bonuses piled up in those first few years. That's still a pretty sweet deal, I'd say. If he didn't want to accept that, I would be comfortable letting things play out through the season and towards July 1, 2020. It's a good enough offer that I'd feel like we made our best play at retaining him, and I'd offer the same thing to like Pietrangelo or whoever on July 1st. We don't seem to have a lot of trouble attracting talent, do we?

Reactions: GoldOnGold

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
If reports are true and Preds want him at 8.5 and Josi wants 9 million it will get done. Meet in the middle and be done with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->