Predict possible 2020 Euro national teams roster

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Laporte off to Spain !
He will play for them. Nice job by DD letting a good player play for a rival :rolleyes:
Wasnt he called up for France before? Aymeric waited as long as he could longer IMO. Good for him and Spain. France wont be hurt by this as they have stupid depth.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
What's up with this Borna Sosa situation? :laugh: It's been the main news in Croatian sports for like a week, apparently the Germans thought he was eligible to play for them and he would have been selected in their preliminary squad and this was a three month process but today the DFB announced due to FIFA rules he wasn't eligible the whole time (he didn't have a German passport before playing for the Croatia U21s at the Euros). Makes all three parties look bad (DFB, Sosa and Croatian manager Dalic). You would expect the DFB to be a bit more organized than this, Sosa now alienates the Croatian staff, where he probably would have been going to the Euros but now there will be questions and Dalic is an idiot for not picking a standard starter for Stuttgart in the first place to avoid this whole situation

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So I got the info :
Laporte was called up 3 times. Twice he didn't play, the other one he got injured and couldn't come.
Enrique asked the spanish federation to convince Laporte who said yes. He got the spanish nationality today.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
What's up with this Borna Sosa situation? :laugh: It's been the main news in Croatian sports for like a week, apparently the Germans thought he was eligible to play for them and he would have been selected in their preliminary squad and this was a three month process but today the DFB announced due to FIFA rules he wasn't eligible the whole time (he didn't have a German passport before playing for the Croatia U21s at the Euros). Makes all three parties look bad (DFB, Sosa and Croatian manager Dalic). You would expect the DFB to be a bit more organized than this, Sosa now alienates the Croatian staff, where he probably would have been going to the Euros but now there will be questions and Dalic is an idiot for not picking a standard starter for Stuttgart in the first place to avoid this whole situation
I'm no fan of Dalic lately, but I don't see how he did much wrong here. They let Sosa play at the European Championship with the u23 team, where he made up an injury not to show up for the decider against England.

Sosa's representatives and Bierhoff sure look like absolute clowns though :laugh:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Dalic gets blamed because he is picking the likes of Melnjak over Sosa, while yes there was some fishy things going on with Sosa and the U21s, I feel the HNS put way too much emphasis on the U21 Euros and playing Sosa against Malta was a good way to cap tie him if they did fear him going to Germany (which I have a feeling they weren't, I think this caught them by surprise despite what they say in the media). The U21s had Bradaric anyway

They also had numerous Nations League games to do it, a tournament which Dalic used like 35 players but was hesitant to try younger players unless it was mandatory. Croatian NT managers in general are hesistant to risk throwing the youth into the fire, I saw it on twitter and its probably true, a guy like Mbappe would still be playing for our U21s because we would be too nervous to drop the veterans in the A team

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
PORTUGAL

I think there are 17 spots firmly taken and 6 up for grabs.

Virtual locks:

GK:
Rui Patricio (Wolves)
Anthony Lopes (Lyon)
FB:
Joao Cancelo (Man City)
Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund)
CB:
Ruben Dias (Man City)
Pepe (FC Porto)
Jose Fonte (Lille)
Midfield:
Danilo (PSG)
Ruben Neves (Wolves)
Joao Moutinho (Wolves)
Renato Sanches (Lille)
Bruno Fernandes (Man United)
Bernardo Silva (Man City)
Forwards:
Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus)
Andre Silva (Frankfurt)
Joao Felix (Atl. Madrid)
Diogo Jota (Liverpool)

Fighting for spots:

GK (1 of):

Rui Silva (Granada)
Jose Sa (Olympiakos)
CB (1 of):
Ruben Semedo (Olympiakos)
Domingos Duarte (Granada)
FB (2 of):
Cedric Soares (Arsenal)
Nelson Semedo (Wolves)
Ricardo Pereira (Leicester)
Nuno Mendes (Sporting CP)
Mario Rui (Napoli)
Midfield and Forwards (2 of):
Goncalo Guedes (Valencia)
William Carvalho (Real Betis)
Sergio Oliveira (FC Porto)
Joao Palhinha (Sporting CP)
Rafa Silva (Benfica)
Paulinho (Sporting CP)
Francisco Trincao (Barcelona)
Daniel Podence (Wolves)

Out due to injury:
Pedro Neto (Wolves)

Starting 11:
------------------ Ronaldo - Jota/A. Silva
-------- Fernandes - Moutinho/Sanches - B. Silva
---------------------- Danilo/Neves
----------- Guerreiro - Dias - Pepe - Cancelo
------------------------ Rui Patricio

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
PORTUGAL

I think there are 17 spots firmly taken and 6 up for grabs.

Virtual locks:

GK:
Rui Patricio (Wolves)
Anthony Lopes (Lyon)
FB:
Joao Cancelo (Man City)
Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund)
CB:
Ruben Dias (Man City)
Pepe (FC Porto)
Jose Fonte (Lille)
Midfield:
Danilo (PSG)
Ruben Neves (Wolves)
Joao Moutinho (Wolves)
Renato Sanches (Lille)
Bruno Fernandes (Man United)
Bernardo Silva (Man City)
Forwards:
Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus)
Andre Silva (Frankfurt)
Joao Felix (Atl. Madrid)
Diogo Jota (Liverpool)

Fighting for spots:

GK (1 of):

Rui Silva (Granada)
Jose Sa (Olympiakos)
CB (1 of):
Ruben Semedo (Olympiakos)
Domingos Duarte (Granada)
FB (2 of):
Cedric Soares (Arsenal)
Nelson Semedo (Wolves)
Ricardo Pereira (Leicester)
Nuno Mendes (Sporting CP)
Mario Rui (Napoli)
Midfield and Forwards (2 of):
Goncalo Guedes (Valencia)
William Carvalho (Real Betis)
Sergio Oliveira (FC Porto)
Joao Palhinha (Sporting CP)
Rafa Silva (Benfica)
Paulinho (Sporting CP)
Francisco Trincao (Barcelona)
Daniel Podence (Wolves)

Out due to injury:
Pedro Neto (Wolves)

Starting 11:
------------------ Ronaldo - Jota/A. Silva
-------- Fernandes - Moutinho/Sanches - B. Silva
---------------------- Danilo/Neves
----------- Guerreiro - Dias - Pepe - Cancelo
------------------------ Rui Patricio

Pedro Gonçalves is better than at least half those midfield/attacking options.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
So within one week Borna Sosa went from being on the Croatia provisional squad, German provisional squad and basically said he will commit to Germany even if he doesn’t get a Euro call-up, DFB announces at the end of the day he isn’t even eligible to play for Germany and today Dalic announced he will not pick Sosa at all for Euros :sarcasm:

I guess he can still hope for a U21 call-up for their quarterfinal later this month unless there is some sort of federation “suspension”. The problem is he also alienated a lot of people with his actions on social media basically erasing any history of him playing for Croatia lol

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
All I know is it will take a mighty effort for us to get out of the group stage. Luckily Skriniar and Dubravka would be coming in on good form. Midfield seems like it will involve combination of Lobotka, Kucka, Duda. Our problem is up front, is our young guy up there either Bozenik or Strelec.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So within one week Borna Sosa went from being on the Croatia provisional squad, German provisional squad and basically said he will commit to Germany even if he doesn’t get a Euro call-up, DFB announces at the end of the day he isn’t even eligible to play for Germany and today Dalic announced he will not pick Sosa at all for Euros :sarcasm:

I guess he can still hope for a U21 call-up for their quarterfinal later this month unless there is some sort of federation “suspension”. The problem is he also alienated a lot of people with his actions on social media basically erasing any history of him playing for Croatia lol

Of course he should have planned his moves better himself, but still another example of how everything DFB touches turns into shit. It's as if there was no one remotely competent employed in the entire organization. Or the janitor, perhaps.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Of course he should have planned his moves better himself, but still another example of how everything DFB touches turns into shit. It's as if there was no one remotely competent employed in the entire organization. Or the janitor, perhaps.
I wish the USSF was so incompetent as to win a World Cup within the last decade.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
All I know is it will take a mighty effort for us to get out of the group stage. Luckily Skriniar and Dubravka would be coming in on good form. Midfield seems like it will involve combination of Lobotka, Kucka, Duda. Our problem is up front, is our young guy up there either Bozenik or Strelec.

Mighty effort? Not much difference beetween sweden, slovakia and poland.

will hamsik play?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Mighty effort? Not much difference beetween sweden, slovakia and poland.

will hamsik play?
The difference is those teams can score and Slovakia cannot.
Hamsik will play but tbh he shouldn’t. He really does look old and slow out on the pitch. I’d have him as a sub coming on later in games. But I’m guessing he will start, which is not a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad