Predict possible 2020 Euro national teams roster

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Looking back at my potential CRO squad some things have changed, most notably Rakitic retiring from international football but also Rog is out for the season with an ACL injury, Jedvaj isn't playing at all at Leverkusen. Vida is probably on the bubble now too after an awful NL campaign but he has stabilized himself at Besiktas and his veteran status will help.

Although the NL campaign was largely a disaster the big winners from that were Uremovic and Budimir and both I think should make the squad now, especially Uremovic. Vrsaljko is finally healthy and the Trippier ban came at a good time for him while even Pjaca is back in action though not yet hitting his stride. Pongracic is another name which will probably make it if fit though future RB Leipzig defender Josko Gvardiol will get attention (hard to see both make it if Dalic sticks with Vida as a squad player). Sosa at Stuttgart is impressing as well though there are currently three LBs in front of him but based on form he is the best (with respect to Barisic who plays in a weaker league). A domestic based player really growing is Lovro Majer, not sure if he will make it to the Euros but he's pretty much the next talent to leave Dinamo for a big league (although he is 23 but probably the right age these kids should move abroad rather than the likes of Halilovic leaving as teenagers)

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgium roster will only have a few question marks, mainly in midfield and up front, it will be a tough battle for those on the bubble

Goalies (3) will be Courtois, Mignolet and either Koen Casteels or Matz Sels

Defense (6) will have Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Kompany, Boyata, Denayer

Midfield (7) will have Meunier, Chadli, T. Hazard, Witsel, Tielemans, Dendoncker, KDB

Forwards (4) include Lukaku, Batshuayi, Hazard, Mertens

Now.. for the 3 remaining open spots..

I think in defense we're set with those 6 guys. If someone gets injured, either Brandon Mechele (Club Brugge), Bjorn Engels (Aston Villa) or Zinho Vanheusden (Standard) could be an option.. OR Martinez can decide he will use Dendoncker as an extra option for both defense and midfield which would create another roster spot to be filled

There will be a need for another wick back.. Carrasco should be there, however Timothy Castagne (Atalanta) has done very well when called upon, I think one of these two will be in the squad

Two more spots will go to attacking minded players that can player either in midfield or up front. So we're talking about two of either Hans Vanaken (Club Brugge), Dennis Praet (Leicester), Leandro Trossard (Brighton), Maxime Lestienne (Standard), Yari Verschaeren (Anderlecht), Adnan Januzaj (Sociedad), Divock Origi (Liverpool), Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace)

Now if it were up to me, I'd kick Boyata off the squad, and I would take Castagne, Vanaken (homer vote), Trossard and then either Carrasco or Origi. This will never happen though.

For Belgium, not that much has changed in 18 months.

Goalies - Courtois and Mignolet are still locks, Casteels looks like a solid bet to be the 3rd goalie. Matz Sels' chances look pretty slim, he's been surpassed by Anderlecht GK Hendrik van Crombrugge who was fantastic in the Belgian League last year.

Defense - Of course the big news here is Kompany's retirement, but he's been replaced admirably by Jason Denayer. He'll be flanked by Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Vermaelen will still be there and so should Boyata. Brandon Mechele (Club Brugge) could make the team as the 6th option. Zinho Vanheusden has a significant injury so not sure if he'll have enough time to prove Martinez he can go. A surprise option could be one of three 21-year olds: Hannes Delcroix (Anderlecht), Sebastian Bornauw (FC Koln) or Pascal Struijk (Leeds), a Belgian-born Dutch CB who Martinez is trying to convince to play for Belgium.

Midfield - Witsel is 99,9% sure to miss the EC and he will leave a huge gap in midfield. Dendoncker will be there and could replace him. Tielemans and KDB are going too, and Martinez hasn't ruled out a return of Fellaini, he could be a huge weapon. Dennis Praet has a good chance to be there as well, he's a notch above Hans Vanaken at the moment.

Wingbacks - I gotta believe Meunier and Castagne are locks for the right side. Meunier hasn't had his best season but he won't be dropped. Castagne has done enough in the past 2 years to cement his place, he can also play on the left if need be. T.Hazard and Carrasco for the left side.

Forwards - Lukaku, Hazard and Mertens will start. Batshuayi, even though he really struggles to find a club where he can play, has done enough for the NT to still be Lukaku's main backup. Januzaj has played very well for Sociedad but it doesn't feel like Martinez is a big fan. Benteke might be 50/50 right now - a lot will depends on what he does in the remainder of the season.

Currently out: Divock Origi (hasn't done enough, really should have moved to another club), Nacer Chadli (kinda fell off the map, now playing in Turkey, a lot will depend on how much Martinez still values him, he can cover different positions in the lineup), Leandro Trossard, Dodi Lukebakio, Bjorn Engels, Thomas Foket

Surprises? - For me, that would be any one of the young up and coming prospects making it. Jeremy Doku (Rennes) has looked good, and might already be the fastest player in the squad. Yari Verschaeren (Anderlecht) has had a bad year so far, is out injured now, looks like a (very) long shot to make it. Alexis Saelemaekers (Milan) I'd say has an outside chance, I don't really rate him but he's doing surprisingly well at Milan, he's a bit of a Jack of all trades and that could be an advantage. And Charles de Ketelaere (Club Brugge) has had an outstanding year so far, both in the Belgian League and CL where he was a couple of inches away of qualifying Brugge for the R16. He can also play multiple positions.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Alexander Isak - Zlatan

Emil Forsberg - Jens Cajuste - Mattias Svanberg - Dejan Kulusevski

Ludwig Augustinsson - Filip Helander - Victor Nilsson Lindelöf - Emil Krafth

Robin Olsen

Sweden looks damm fine right now. Isak is doing great in La liga. Zlatan is still worldclass. Forsberg is doing good with Leipzig. Cajuste have been good in CL. Svanberg is chased by Inter and Juventus for a reason. Kulusevski we all know about him. Augustinsson is a good Bundesligaplayer, Krafth and Olsen is good PL-players. Helander is dominating in Rangers and Lindelöf is a lock in a good Man United.

Too bad our coach will f*** things up with including Granqvist, S.Larsson, Berg, K.Olsson, Ekdal and Claesson.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Obviously I'm familiar with the international Belgians who play in the major European leagues, but not so much with the Jupiter Pro League ones

JPL is included in the DAZN package, I should probably check it out someday lol

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Question for anyone who might know:

The u21 championship wraps up June 6. Euro 2020 begins June 11 and rosters have to be named by June 1. Would this prevent players in the u21 tournament from being called to the senior team?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
My guess of roster for Spain:

GK:
De Gea
Unai Simon
(3rd goalie probably goes to Kepa but I rather Guaita takes it to be fair)

DF:
Jordi Alba
Gaya
Iñigo Martinez
Pau Torres
Ramos? (if he ever recovers)
Mario Hermoso
Jesus Navas
Sergi Roberto

MF:
Marcos Llorente
Koke
Thiago
Rodri
Fabian
Busquets
Canales

FW:
Oyarzabal
Gerard Moreno
Aspas
Morata
Dani Olmo

(There are 3 extra roster spots AFAIK because of COVID, I would say Eric Garcia, Pedri and Bryan Gil for those 3 spots)

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

GK:
De Gea
Unai Simon
(3rd goalie probably goes to Kepa but I rather Guaita takes it to be fair)

DF:
Jordi Alba
Gaya
Iñigo Martinez
Pau Torres
Mario Hermoso
Jesus Navas
Sergi Roberto

MF:
Marcos Llorente
Koke
Thiago
Rodri
Fabian
Busquets
Canales

FW:
Oyarzabal
Gerard Moreno
Aspas
Morata
Dani Olmo

(There are 3 extra roster spots AFAIK because of COVID, I would say Eric Garcia, Pedri and Bryan Gil for those 3 spots)
Ferran Torres is absolutely making it, for sure.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
is Carvajal sure to miss the EC?
Also I know Lucho isn't his biggest fan but he better call (up) Saul ;)

Question for anyone who might know:

The u21 championship wraps up June 6. Euro 2020 begins June 11 and rosters have to be named by June 1. Would this prevent players in the u21 tournament from being called to the senior team?

I guess technically players could be called up and then join after the U21s have concluded

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Ferran Torres is absolutely making it, for sure.

You're right I think I must have deleted him as I made the initial roster bigger than 26 lol. He should go instead of Bryan Gil (Who has cooled down quite a bit on the 2nd half of season)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
is Carvajal sure to miss the EC?
Also I know Lucho isn't his biggest fan but he better call (up) Saul ;)

I guess technically players could be called up and then join after the U21s have concluded

Carvajal has been injured almost all season, he might recover but I think Lucho is better off taking Sergi Roberto instead of Carvajal. Jesus Navas should be the starter.

Would be madness not to take Saul.

Saul is overrated and has no business above any of the players in the list, to be honest.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sees Morata and cries internally. Saul is definitely not overrated.

We don't have many options up front, Morata should not be the starter in any case. Gerard Moreno deserves to.

Marcos Llorente has sent Saul to the bench and rightfully so. Koke is also a better fit for Spain (and IMO a better player as well)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

DF:
Jordi Alba
Gaya
Iñigo Martinez
Pau Torres
Mario Hermoso
Jesus Navas
Sergi Roberto

Shows how much I've been watching La Liga, but Navas plays RB now? And at a national team level?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We don't have many options up front, Morata should not be the starter in any case. Gerard Moreno deserves to.

Marcos Llorente has sent Saul to the bench and rightfully so. Koke is also a better fit for Spain (and IMO a better player as well)

I'd still take him over Canales.

Shows how much I've been watching La Liga, but Navas plays RB now? And at a national team level?

Hes been there for a few years now IRRC

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Carvajal has been injured almost all season, he might recover but I think Lucho is better off taking Sergi Roberto instead of Carvajal.

Sergi Roberto has been injured for a large part of the season too, and when he's played he hasn't exactly been lighting it up either
After Carvajal it's a pretty weak position for Spain. Bellerin seems to be completely out of the picture, Navas is turning 36, and I doubt Lucho trusts Morey or Porro enough yet to take them to the EC

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
OK, I'll give it a shot, using DD's mind (so not my choice, but what I think will happen).

GK : Lloris, Mandanda, Maignan
Pretty easy there, Mandanda will leave this team after the Euro. Quite possible Lloris goes to backup too.

FB : Pavard, Dubois, L. Hernandez, F. Mendy
DD will play Pavard and Lucas. Mendy should really start. And Pavard still sucks.

CB : Varane, Kimpembe, Lenglet, Zouma
DD might call up Kounde instead of Zouma but for some reason Lenglet will be in there. Hopefully he's not starting.

MF : Kante, Pogba, Rabiot, Lemar, Sissoko, Ndombele
DD will start the first 3, but Lemar was extremely good last time he played. Sissoko clearly has some dirty pictures of DD and Ndombele is possibly the last choice. DD might pull off a surprising move there though (Caqueret?).

FOR : Giroud, Mbappe, Griezmann, Dembele, Coman, Martial
Not suspense here. Those 6 should be the chosen ones.

Possible surprises or part of the 26 :
Kounde, Caqueret, Nzonzi (lol), Ben Yedder (very decent chance actually if somehow DD doesn't select Giroud, Dembele or Martial or of course when Coman gets his next injury), Digne, Tolisso (if back from injury, but doubtful), Aouar (doubt it), Thuram (doubt it too), Fekir (doubt it too), Areola (4th goalie if someone's injured), Camavinga (doubtful), and.. Karim Benzema (would be a huge bet right now).

EDIT : And Lacazette but long shot...

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sergi Roberto has been injured for a large part of the season too, and when he's played he hasn't exactly been lighting it up either
After Carvajal it's a pretty weak position for Spain. Bellerin seems to be completely out of the picture, Navas is turning 36, and I doubt Lucho trusts Morey or Porro enough yet to take them to the EC

There's a chance he might take Porro if Carvajal or Roberto are not fit to play according to Lucho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad