Predict Point Production for these Prospering Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
This is going on the idea that the NHL will do whatever it can to open the game up. Smaller goalie equipment, calling obstruction and interference, etc. The post lockout NHL I think will have more in common with the QMJHL than the WHL in terms of goals scored.

Rookie season

Crosby - 68 points
Perry - 45 points
Brule - 40 points
Pouliot - 45 points
MA Pouliot - 30 points
Malkin - 53 points
Parise - 35 points
Carter - 45 points
Bochenski - NA
Schremp - 40 points
Roussin - NA
Ovechkin - 65 points
Richards - 35 points
O'Sullivan 30 points

Max potential

Crosby - 150 points
Perry - 80 points
Brule - 90 points
Pouliot - 85 points
MA Pouliot - 70 points
Malkin - 115 points
Parise - 75 points
Carter - 90 points
Bochenski - NA
Schremp - 80 points
Roussin - NA
Ovechkin - 115 points
Richards - 85 points
O'Sullivan - 70 points

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
stocktrader said:
So lets get this straight.

Schremp will either not make the NHL or he will score 100 points.

Thanks guys.

Honestly, IMO Robbie is beyond not making the NHL barring injuries. He has the tools and the work ethic to at the very least become a 60 point 2nd liner. If he's too slow, he can be converted to wing. But with his offensive tools I have a hard time not ever seeing him in an Oiler or NHL jersey.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
monster_bertuzzi

I wouldn't pay attention to any of those predictions, I don't know a whole lot about most of those players. I'd consider them mostly random predictions :)

But I do think Crosby will score 150 points at some point of his NHL career. The post lockout NHL is going to be custom designed to maximize every possible revenue stream.
That means hyping new players like Crosby and Ovechkin and trying to create situations where they can suceed to generate interest and money for the league. It is going to feature goalies that look less like giant foam and leather Transformer toys. If all goes as planned they will finally start calling everything by the rule books.

I mean really, look at the effects Crosby has had on the QMJHL, that's the sort of League the NHL wants post lockout.

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Tb0ne said:
monster_bertuzzi

I wouldn't pay attention to any of those predictions, I don't know a whole lot about most of those players. I'd consider them mostly random predictions :)

But I do think Crosby will score 150 points at some point of his NHL career. The post lockout NHL is going to be custom designed to maximize every possible revenue stream.
That means hyping new players like Crosby and Ovechkin and trying to create situations where they can suceed to generate interest and money for the league. It is going to feature goalies that look less like giant foam and leather Transformer toys. If all goes as planned they will finally start calling everything by the rule books.

I mean really, look at the effects Crosby has had on the QMJHL, that's the sort of League the NHL wants post lockout.

No doubt. Consider that some of the best NHL players this year such as Sakic, Naslund etc. had 85 points. Richards projects to be a defensive/leadership/character guy - over a point per game is extremely hard to achieve in todays Jaques Lemaire NHL.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Oiltalk said:
Issues with the current poster aside, do you disagree with what he is saying in this thread? Schremp has the upside to score anywhere between 70-100 pts. at max potential. Do I seee him reaching closer to 100? Not likely, but if everything falls into place(his game, and the switch over to a more offensive system) I can see him becoming a 65-80 pt player in the NHL.

Schremp might have the potential to score lots of points, especial given the Oilers sucky PP situation at the moment (he's bound to get lots of PP time), I'd say his potential is ~25-30 goals ~60-70 points but IMHO his chances of reaching that potential are quite weak (size, skating, attitude).

But going after posters because they think Schremp's (or any other american prospect) potential/probable production is lower than he thinks is just childish & petty.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Barnaby said:
How is Schremp right there with many of the projected Franchise players? I mean c'mon 90 points... I like Schremp, but THAT good?

He plays a similar style of game to Marc Savard and Doug Weight.

Weights scored close to 100 points hasn't he before and savard averaged over a ppg before being injured in 03-04.

With the NHL rule changes and opening up a little bit hopefully, Schremp could score 100 points if he reaches his max potential, he is THAT good offensively.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Pepper said:
Schremp might have the potential to score lots of points, especial given the Oilers sucky PP situation at the moment (he's bound to get lots of PP time), I'd say his potential is ~25-30 goals ~60-70 points but IMHO his chances of reaching that potential are quite weak (size, skating, attitude).

But going after posters because they think Schremp's (or any other american prospect) potential/probable production is lower than he thinks is just childish & petty.

Schremp is not small. Isn't he 6-0? Also apperantly he doesn't seem to have attitude problems but none of us really know unless we have been around him and I have not.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Habsfan 32 said:
Rookie Season

Sidney Crosby - 75 points
Corey Perry - 35 points
Gilbert Brule - 50 points
Benoit Pouliot - 45 points
Marc-Antoine Pouliot - 40 points
Evgeni Malkin - 60 points
Zach Parise - 55 points
Jeff Carter - 50 points
Brandon Bochenski - 30 points
Robbie Schremp - 45 points
Dany Roussin - 25 points
Alexander Ovechkin - 70 points
Mike Richards - 35 points
Ryan O'Marra - 30 points
Patrick O'Sullivan - 40 points

Maximum Potential

Sidney Crosby - 150 points
Corey Perry - 75 points
Gilbert Brule - 90 to 100 points
Benoit Pouliot - 80to 90 points
Marc-Antoine Pouliot - 65 to 75 points
Evgeni Malkin - 100 to 125 points
Zach Parise - 80 points
Jeff Carter - 80 to 90 points
Brandon Bochenski - 55 to 65 points
Robbie Schremp - 75 to 100 points (He's got all the offensive skills to be a 100 point guy)
Dany Roussin - 45 points
Alexander Ovechkin - 100 to 130 points
Mike Richards - 75 points
Ryan O'Marra - 75 points
Patrick O'Sullivan - 75 points

Just want to weigh in on the overly optimistic projections and specifically in regards to Shremp at 100pts? :dunno:

Lets look at the top OHL point getters of this millenium in no particular order and see how they've faired since. All ten of the players were chosen on the basis of having one of the top 3-4 pt totals in the OHL for a particular year. For each I will give their top OHL year and top AHL or NHL year. This is designed to demonstrate the factual SHARP dropoff that typically occurs after marked OHL success. Note that EVERY one of these players had much better OHL #'s than Shremp. I specifically used OHL exclusively as that would rule out as many extraneous factors as possible and allow the closest comparison.

Corey Locke OHL 61 55 117 AHL 20 22 42

Matt Foy OHL 61 71 132 AHL 12 13 25

Martin ST Pierre OHL 45 65 110 ECHL-AHL 18 42 60

Chad Larose OHL 61 55 117 AHL 20 22 42

Nathan Robinson OHL 47 63 110 AHL 24 26 50

Mike Renzi OHL 44 64 108 ECHL 11 15 26 (ouch!)

Jason Spezza OHL 42 63 105 AHL 32 85 117 NHL 22 33 55

Kyle Wellwood OHL 35 83 118 AHL 38 49 87

Branko Radivojevic OHL 34 70 104 AHL 18 21 39 NHL 12 15 27

Eric Himelfarb OHL 37 70 107 AHL 19 24 43

Of the above Branko has given up apparently and is toiling in obscurity in Europe

Renzi has had a disaster of a career and is burried in the ECHL and I believe is now considering retirement.

All the others have had a lukewarn transition and being that I took players from 2000-on some have had ample time...

Spezza is the one exception to the apparent rule of non-translated success. The one player out of the top OHL point getters of the millenium that has been able to be successful at any level. Clearly though he is the exception, rather than the rule. Note that only 2/10 players above have any appreciable NHL gmaes played. (1 or 2 had something like 5 games in the NHL, just a cup of coffee so far so I didn't even bother listing that.)

Does Shremp even stick in the NHL? Past results seem to reveal that nothing is gimme.

comments?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
trahans99 said:
He plays a similar style of game to Marc Savard and Doug Weight.

Weights scored close to 100 points hasn't he before and savard averaged over a ppg before being injured in 03-04.

With the NHL rule changes and opening up a little bit hopefully, Schremp could score 100 points if he reaches his max potential, he is THAT good offensively.

Schremp and Weight are nothing alike... Savard is a little.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
oilerlova said:
Schremp is not small. Isn't he 6-0? Also apperantly he doesn't seem to have attitude problems but none of us really know unless we have been around him and I have not.

Well 6'0 is quite small in today's NHL.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
oilerlova said:

Ive been around him. I ve posted my story on here in the past. And he definately has issues, but i wouldnt say they would definately affect his career. But at the same time the oilers need to stick him with someone who will keep a short leash on him. And in person at 18 years old, he didnt look big enough for the nhl. He wasnt short, just looked like he wouldnt survivie a solid nhl hit.

stocktrader

Pepper said:
Well 6'0 is quite small in today's NHL.
No it's not. Strength and speed is much more important than height.
Any professional scout will tell you the same thing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
stocktrader said:

And he should be 200 lbs. by the time he reaches the NHL. Weight is 5-11 200.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
topshelf331 said:
Ive been around him. I ve posted my story on here in the past. And he definately has issues, but i wouldnt say they would definately affect his career. But at the same time the oilers need to stick him with someone who will keep a short leash on him. And in person at 18 years old, he didnt look big enough for the nhl. He wasnt short, just looked like he wouldnt survivie a solid nhl hit.

If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me the story or post it here??? Thanks, Bryan

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
mercury said:
Branko was solid for us in Philadelphia this past season.

Radivojevic with Philly was: 24 GP 1G 8A 9Pts That works out to about a 30 pt season. He didn't light it up in Europe either this year and he's nearly 25 years old. How much better is he going to get?
He's had 174 NHL GP 26G 39A 65Pts. Which overall also works out to 30pts/year. Its not enough to stick and theres no sign yet he's doing anything but flatlining.

I'm sure that'll make a few announcers happy though :D

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
stocktrader said:

Sorry dude but speed and strenght have nothing to do with size and 6'0 is pretty small in today's NHL (average height is between 6'1 and 6'2).

And any professional scout will tell you that Schremp doesn't have too much either speed or strength at this point.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobMarleyNYR said:
Schremp and Weight are nothing alike... Savard is a little.

I disagree. I think Schremp is very similar to Weight in the sense that he's a great playmaker, can work the PP with the best of them, isn't tall but stocky and has an awkward skating style. Each has one attribute over the other. Weight is a better skater while Schremp has a better shot.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Radio is not going to be a scoring machine at winger, but he plays a solid, smart game. I see him fulfilling the same role as Kapanen when Kapanen is gone. 3rd line RW who can move into the top 6 when necessary. They actually play a similar game, IMO, with the differences being Kapanen's offensive ceiling was higher, while Radio is much bigger. Radio ended the season with 32 pts. in 77 games. He should be a 45-50 pt. guy in his prime, while playing sound two-way hockey. A very good thing to have, I think. It might be a little annoying to see a guy with so much natural talent and smarts not become a true top line offensive threat, but he will help win games.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
for a little perspective, here are some recent rookie point totals from some of the best young players in the NHL, proven stars for whom we have the benefit of hindsight.

Kovalchuk - 51 (in 65 games)
Heatley - 67
Nash - 39
Thorton - 7 (in 55 games), 2nd season scored 41
Frolov - 31
Iginla - 50
Datsyuk - 35
Spezza - 21 (in 33 games)

And here were some of last years best young rookies (excluding overaged prospects who cant really be compared to 19 and 20 year olds)

Staal - 31
Alex Semin - 22 (in 52 games)
Lupul - 34
Zherdev - 34 (in 57 games)
Ruutu- 44
Bergeron - 39
Horton - 22 (in 55 games)
Stajan - 27

Just to keep a little perspective for all the people predicting lots of big point totals. A few might get over 50 (Ovechkin and Crosby, maybe Malkin), a few over 40, but the majority will probably be under that, and a good number of even the most highly touted prospects will fail to even reach 30.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
out of curiosity, why is Perry often rated so low compared to a lot of these guys? He absolutely dominated the OHL in both regular season and post season scoring, and won the MVP for the mem cup, so it's just surprising to me that he's often rated beneath Shremp and a bunch of others? I don't get to see him play as much as others I'm sure, so what's the big knock against him? I think once he puts on a bit of muscle he'll be a force in the NHL

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
arrbez said:
out of curiosity, why is Perry often rated so low compared to a lot of these guys? He absolutely dominated the OHL in both regular season and post season scoring, and won the MVP for the mem cup, so it's just surprising to me that he's often rated beneath Shremp and a bunch of others? I don't get to see him play as much as others I'm sure, so what's the big knock against him? I think once he puts on a bit of muscle he'll be a force in the NHL

It's funny how Perry gets lots of crap for his apparent bad skating while Schremp who's no rocket either gets a clean sheet...

I just see a lot more going for Perry at the moment, however that itself doesn't guarantee anything.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Perry will be a certain 100 combined producer--that is:20 goals + 80 DIVES!!! He is certainly in the running for the Speedo Top Diver Of the Year Awards;Crosby will be a front-runner for the Most Frustrated Player/Whacks Stick On the Ice Award,as he will be grabbed n' clutched more than anyone--preventing him from amassing more than 60 points ...

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I too have wondered why, despite his point totals, so many think Perry will not make it at the NHL level, so I watched him closely this season and espectially at the Memorial Cup.

His skating is average and he doesn't have a great shot or great puck handling skills. Even though he has a nose for the puck and great passing skills he isn't the type of player that can score from all over the ice - which many seem to think Schremp has the potential to do. Perry scores a lot of garbage-type goals from in close. The thinking could be that a guy who scores a lot of garbage goals like Perry but who goes down like he's shot every time he gets hit by another player will not be able to score those goals at the next level. If Perry gets knocked down ten times a game as a 19-year old in Junior, how many times is he going to be picking himself up off the ice at the next level? When looking at Anaheim's prospects, Getzlaf just looks more like an NHL'er than Perry. So did his teammate Fritsche, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->