News Article: Predators will open 2020-21 season in the Czech Republic vs. Boston Bruins

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well China has us easily beat in passenger rail as well, Australia too ;)
They also don't have the road system we do either. Both have been playing catch up for years.

They also have the luxury that most of the population are basically in a handful of major cities, especially in Australia.

The US population is pretty spread out, and we've tended to like the freedom that cars offer. The Chinese population owning cars is a relatively new thing and their infrastructure has been a nightmare trying to play catch up.

We don't have rail here because most of us either see no need for it or would never use it. Just thinking about Middle Tennessee, you would have a line from Lebanon, Murfreesboro, Clarksville and then maybe Dixson and Cookeville. I live in Shelbyville so my closest hub would be Murfreesboro which is 30 minutes away. Nashville is only an hour so might as well just drive lol.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm buying tickets the second they come on sale and having my wife get airline tickets. I can't think of a better baby moon for us than Switzerland and Prague.

One last international adventure before life changes forever :(

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I understand that Europe also has a much more robust system of passenger trains, which is basically non-existent in the US

Most of Europe does have a pretty good mass transit system. Cost really depends which country we're talking about and even then, how far in advance you buy tickets matters. Major cities in Europe tend to be old and unfriendly to driving (Prague, Munich, Berlin, Nuremburg, Amsterdam) so in city transit and walking are necessary. People in Europe tend to bike more than Americans as well. The Netherlands has huge bicycle only parking garages. Uber is a thing in some places but not ubiquitous.

If you're coming to this side of the world, please do your homework. There are plenty of things that are very familiar to Americans right next to an opportunity to make a total ass of yourself. Think through your travel in and out of Europe ... how you'll get around ... what you'll see besides hockey (if you go to Prague and don't see the sites I will want to beat you with a hockey stick ... it is an absolutely amazing place with great food, drink, historic sites tied to the start of wars, beautiful architecture, museums, etc) ... if you'll stay in a local hotel or stick to the more American style chains ... be prepared to carry cash in some places because you might not find a place that takes your credit card and check with your credit card issuer to see what foreign transaction fees they charge, if any ... understand the money conversion rate and if you can get the 17-21% sales tax back as you leave the EU ... and if you have questions ask the European fans or the Americans living abroad for how to maximize your trip.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think what I'm going to do is fly in to Bern, then fly to Munich and then take a train to Prague.

I'm guessing the games will only be a week or two apart? I'm hoping? Just ran the math and it's going to be close to $4,000 just to fly before any other expenses.

Guess I better start saving my nickels

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If you have a credit card that earns points that transfer to airlines, investigate if you can maximize those points to get you from point A to B at a better rate. The same applies to hotels. Routing truly matters as some countries charge higher fees than others as you travel ... for example Heathrow has great lounges and shopping in the terminals but the fees can make traveling on points as expensive as paying cash for a coach ticket. If you don't have a card that earns points, sign up for frequent flyer programs and get some points on your Preds road trip. You might qualify for a round trip from Nashville to the beach with just points earned for a round trip to Europe. (I bounce back and forth between continents a lot for work and have done Destin to/from BNA for under 15k points plus $11).

Compare train and air prices across the continent. A lot of the better air fares are on low fare carriers so luggage gets expensive on some of them. Just think through it. bahn.de is the German train site. sbb.ch is the Swiss site. Buying in advance can get you some incredibly cheap long distance travel. ICE is Germany's InterCityExpress high speed rail and under 30 Euro from Bern to Munich for a 2nd class ticket 75 days from right now.

Remember that gas is highly taxed resulting in $6-8 per gallon prices in Germany. That's in addition to any road tolls ... Switzerland and Czech both require toll stickers. Renting a car can get you places that are a pain with mass transit but can be costly. If you plan on renting a car go to AAA before making your trip and get an international driver's permit just to cover your butt.

If you want to tie Oktoberfest into your trip, that happens the last two weekends of September through the first weekend of October. Lederhosen optional but available all over at places called trachtenmode stores. Bad Durkheim is the largest wine festival in Germany and happens in mid to late September. Stuttgart has its Cannstadterfest which is the 2nd largest beer fest in Germany in late Sep as well. Just a few other things to see and do. There are plenty of castles if that's your thing (Neuschwanstein is the inspiration for Disneyland and near Munich) ... Porsche, Mercedes, BMW all have museums ... plenty of war history if that's what you're into ... or just go to monasteries that brew beer.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Prague is amazing without factoring in Preds hockey.

I agree. That clock in the old town area is unbelievable. You will like the local beers.

I stopped for a chocolate palacsinta. That is a Hungarian crepe, like crepes suzette. It was so good that I bought another one!

My grandmother never made chocolate ones. I think that was invented after she left Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad