Post-Game Talk: Predators vs Lawn guy land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
But the eye test is even worse. The Preds have gotten outplayed by most of the playoff teams in almost every game. Alot of the wins over playoff teams have felt like Pekka stole the game rather than the Preds really taken it to the teams.

This team, while having a great record, looks like a team that will struggle against top teams in a 7 game series. The team got dominated by Winnipeg, the Islanders, Ducks, Red Wings, etc.

Hopefully the trade stabilizes this team a bit but the lack of center depth will kill this team against the big boys this spring.

To me this was the first game this season where we looked outmatched and even then they made it a one goal game going into the third.

The first game against Pittsburgh was a 3-0 loss. Sure we didn't play our best game but it wasn't a dominating performance by the Penguins by any means. It was also early in the year when our players were still learning the system. Later on we went to their home ice and did dominate them to the tune of a 4-0 wooping. The SOG's for both of those games were pretty even.

Then there was the Detroit game where Hutton game them 3 goals on their first 4 shots. I personally think the team would have been just fine as a whole holding their own if it was not for the goalie having major issues early in that game. I would hardly call it total domination by the Wings.

Now to the Ducks game. The first game they won in a skill competition. We went to their ice and pushed them to OT. Oh and our back-up was in net here. Not what I would call a dominating performance. The second game was Rinne's first game back from injury and we looked rusty. I will give you that they outplayed us in the first 25 minutes of that game. After that though we took it to them big time putting a ton of rubber on net. Going into the 3rd down 4-0 we were able to pull within 2 and pull our goalie to press even more. they got the ENG and sealed the game.

The inslanders got us good. This really was the first game I thought we really got outplayed all season long. they still tried to make it a game but it wasn't to be. Look over all the top teams in the league and you will see far more stinkers than just one. The Predators really are for real.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Also, we are 3-1-0 against Winnipeg and they scored 5 goals (1 an empty netter) in the 4 games- so how have they dominated us????

Yes, they dominated us. Full credit to us for pulling out the results (which IS all that matters) but we were outplayed in those games. Look at last week how often Pekka had to bail us out. If that team had better goal scorers (or Pekka had an off-night) we would have been done. We were pinned in our zone a ton in the games against them.

It's not all doom and gloom. We are a good team and have the ability to steal games. But this team looks like one caught in the zone between better than the non-playoff teams but a step behind the top teams. Basically our standing in the league isn't in line with where we actually are. But that's just one person's opinion of course :)

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
But the eye test is even worse. The Preds have gotten outplayed by most of the playoff teams in almost every game. Alot of the wins over playoff teams have felt like Pekka stole the game rather than the Preds really taken it to the teams.

This team, while having a great record, looks like a team that will struggle against top teams in a 7 game series. The team got dominated by Winnipeg, the Islanders, Ducks, Red Wings, etc.

Hopefully the trade stabilizes this team a bit but the lack of center depth will kill this team against the big boys this spring.

Curious as to what your definition of "domination" is. Scoreboard? Shots? Corsi if we want to stretch it? Would like to see something a little bit more tangible than the eye test. :laugh:

The Predators have not been "dominated" by the Jets once this season, all were close games, win or lose. 3-1 record.

They've played the Islanders and Red Wings a grand total of two times between the two teams, so I don't think anything too meaningful can be concluded from that kind of sample size. Though to be fair last nights game might be the worst I've seen from them, Detroit was ugly too, albeit with Hutton.

Anaheim maybe. One close game, one bad game that I thought to be the unluckiest game they've had all year.

Chicago has been the one team that was disconcerting to watch the Predators play. While none were blowouts, thought the Hawks were the better team in all the matchups I was able to watch.

All the things said about how the Predators were "dominated" (using the very liberal definition you had) by this team or that team, you could say about every single team in this league.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Yes, they dominated us. Full credit to us for pulling out the results (which IS all that matters) but we were outplayed in those games. Look at last week how often Pekka had to bail us out. If that team had better goal scorers (or Pekka had an off-night) we would have been done. We were pinned in our zone a ton in the games against them.

It's not all doom and gloom. We are a good team and have the ability to steal games. But this team looks like one caught in the zone between better than the non-playoff teams but a step behind the top teams. Basically our standing in the league isn't in line with where we actually are. But that's just one person's opinion of course :)

We will just have to disagree if you really think Winnipeg has dominated us this season- again we are 3-1 against them and outscored them 8-4.
Those were not games that we were lucky to win because Pekka bailed us out....
We may have gotten pinned in our zone some against them but that does not equal getting dominated....

Strongly disagree that we are a team that is just stealing games and not an elite team- by any statistic you want to look at, we HAVE been a dominant team- just look at our 5/5 play and the fact that we have the #1 goal differential in the league. If we aren't elite, then who is???

And I'm glad to hear its not "all doom and gloom"- Again I will repeat- we are 39-13-6- the phrase doom and gloom should not be uttered by any Preds fan this season!

Last edited:

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
What about Forsberg playing Center at the end? I have said previously that I think he has the game for it. What did you guys think? Is it possible Laviolette is grooming him for #1C duties?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What about Forsberg playing Center at the end? I have said previously that I think he has the game for it. What did you guys think? Is it possible Laviolette is grooming him for #1C duties?

no. I'm pretty are that was more about Ribs being ejected.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Funny y'all should be talking about "domination."

Did a little counting stat thingy with the ol' Overall spreadsheet. I looked at 20 different categories - basic stuff, like "were we leading after two periods?" and "did we have more power plays?" - and awarded two points for a positive answer, 1 point if it was a "tie", and no points for a negative answer. I added four two-point awards for situations: -2 points for going to a shootout, +2 points for a playoff game, any overtime game going beyond 65 minutes, and home games with attendance of 17k or more. The spectrum ranged from 3 points to 27; the midpoint would be 15.

The 27 point game - the most "dominating" game in franchise history - was the Preds' 4-1 win over Philadelphia on December 27, 2014.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm surprised it wasn't the 8-0 win over Detroit.

Speaking of stats, I was wondering...and I don't know if you can tell from your numbers* but assuming the following:

first (or only) away game
Playing in Eastern Time Zone
vs
Playing in the Mountain or Pacific Time Zone

and also stats for:
Subsequent games in ETZ
Subsequent games in MTZ and PTZ

What are our overall records for each situation?

I know that the move in time to a later time zone is harder on the body from various studies I've seen, but one would expect a fairly rapid adjustment. My theory is that over time our first away game has resulted in more losses than subsequent ones in the east but little or no change on game one if we travel west.

*If you can't don't worry about it--I was just curious. I'll see people wanting to put us in the Eastern Conference periodically and I think it would be detrimental--this would just be more backup knowledge/stats on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad