Confirmed with Link: Predators Sign Jonas Gunnarsson (G) to an ELC

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
1 year? Seems a little odd. Just a 1 year tryout with Milwaukee then?

It's based on age. The CBA defines how long an entry level deal is:

18-21: 3-year deal
22-23: 2-year deal
24: 1-year deal
25-27 (EUROPEANS ONLY) - 1-year deal

Gunnarsson is 24, so he gets a one year deal.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Gunnarsson's (24 years old, undrafted) season has been pretty insane. He started the season on loan to a newly promoted team (Pantern) in the Swedish 2nd-tier league, where he was splitting time with another goalie. It seemed like a logical step for him to take another year in the 2nd-tier league before maybe aiming for the SHL.

A few games into the season, his situation changed though. Newly promoted SHL team Malmö, who he was on loan from, got injuries on their starting goalie and their backup goalie and Gunnarsson was called back to temporarily fill in the spot as the starting goalie.

He had a solid start and just kept on going. I think most people expected him to dip eventually and that hopefully the starting goalie would be back at that point. But the other goalie never got back fully from his injury during the season and Gunnarsson kept on playing solid.

When the season was summarized, Gunnarsson had been one of the main key players, when Malmö was able to avoid relegation in their first SHL season in 8 years. He also got to play his first game with national team and now he has signed with an NHL team.

I wouldn't say he's ready for the NHL and was hoping he would take another year in SHL, but I can't blame him for taking the chance. He's a promising goalie and guess we'll have to wait and see if he can build on this season.

BTW the mask he used all season had Pantern's (the team in the 2nd-tier league) team colors/logo on half the mask.

Summary for the lazy: Undrafted Gunnarsson started the season spliting time with another goalie on a newly promoted team in the Swedish 2nd-tier league and summerized it with a solid SHL season, 1 game with the national team and an NHL contract.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
sounds like insurance in case Hutton signs elsewhere.

kinda feel bad for the guy if Hutton does resign, because that pretty much guarantees him to be in the ECHL

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Strange signing from your team...

Smallish,undrafted goalie,who played in both allsvenskan and SEL
last season,i predict zero games for preds,may be even sent to
ECHL...very strange signing.

Hutton or no Hutton,you guys are covered in goalie position,
you have 3 top notch goalies from europe;Rinne,Saros and Mazanek,
why sign average joe 24 year old goalie from Sweden? with
Hutton even more covered.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Strange signing from your team...

Smallish,undrafted goalie,who played in both allsvenskan and SEL
last season,i predict zero games for preds,may be even sent to
ECHL...very strange signing.

Hutton or no Hutton,you guys are covered in goalie position,
you have 3 top notch goalies from europe;Rinne,Saros and Mazanek,
why sign average joe 24 year old goalie from Sweden? with
Hutton even more covered.

First.. how is 187cm goalie smallish? Also have to point out that with Gunnarsson signed I think it is possible that Mazanec will be on his way out. Or if he stays, they can compete for the backup role behind Saros. It is better to have competition, right?:laugh:

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
First.. how is 187cm goalie smallish? Also have to point out that with Gunnarsson signed I think it is possible that Mazanec will be on his way out. Or if he stays, they can compete for the backup role behind Saros. It is better to have competition, right?:laugh:

Think he is on his way to be Saros backup in Milwaukee while Mazanac backs up Rinne

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's good to have competition, as long as there's enough starts to go around to give them looks. I could see Mez stuck on the bench while they see what they have in Saros and this new kid.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Think he is on his way to be Saros backup in Milwaukee while Mazanac backs up Rinne

I think youre right. Hutton played well enough to get a raise and maybe even a shot at a 1B slot. Wish him well but we are probably moving on.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Sure seems like this is goodbye for either Hut or Maz. I imagine we won't re-sign Hutton and, as others have said, run Rinne-Maz in Nashville and Saros-Gunnarsson in Milwaukee.

If we do lose Hutton it'll be a sad day, really liked him, but I hope he gets paid and put in a better position somewhere else.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Sure seems like this is goodbye for either Hut or Maz. I imagine we won't re-sign Hutton and, as others have said, run Rinne-Maz in Nashville and Saros-Gunnarsson in Milwaukee.

If we do lose Hutton it'll be a sad day, really liked him, but I hope he gets paid and put in a better position somewhere else.
Yeah, like on our radio or TV crew as a color guy.

(Okay yeah I know Hutton still has hockey left to play, but my point is Peterson and Stu must be replaced by Chris Mason and _________)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad