Friedman: Predators shopping Craig Smith

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hornquist (if he would waive) back to Nashville for Smith and a 2nd.

Nashville gets a proven playoff performer that is one of the best at going to the net, scoring dirty goals, and getting under opponents skin.

Penguins get some cap flexibility next year and a 2nd since they traded their 2nd previously.
I don't see the Preds taking an older player with term like that back. Not for Smith anyway. Maybe since Horny is still a somewhat effective player it would work in a contract swap for Turris, but that's the only way we look at him.

For Smith, I think pure futures is really the direction we go. But then I think the team should look seriously at re-signing him as a free agent also. Maybe the UFA market won't bring him as much $$$ as he's hoping for, in which case it'd be great to have him back. He's probably the one player we are likely to trade that I'll actually miss.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That’s actually a pretty terrible comparison.

Different players, but in terms of pure transactional value it'll be very close. Similar output, cap hit, age. Simmonds' reputation closed the gap between his on-ice play and the interest expressed in him (and that will be expressed in Smith).

Will be surprised to see Nashville fetch more than a second and maybe fourth, or a young roster player and a third. Smith's a good player, but rental returns aren't really that great, particularly for depth forwards, and yet everyone acts surprised by them every year.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Hornquist (if he would waive) back to Nashville for Smith and a 2nd.

Nashville gets a proven playoff performer that is one of the best at going to the net, scoring dirty goals, and getting under opponents skin.

Penguins get some cap flexibility next year and a 2nd since they traded their 2nd previously.

Again, we're not trading both Smith and a 2nd.

1. If we're moving Smith then we're retooling/rebuilding and we're going to need picks or prospects coming back, not an aging vet.

2. If we're moving a 2nd then we're looking to make the playoffs and aren't interested in moving a top 6er in Smith.

Either you want Smith and are offering us a pick or you want a 2nd and are offering Hornqvist, pick one.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'd trade a 2nd for Smith but it would have t0 be a 2021, we don't have 2020. I'm not trading Patric "Playoff Warrior" Hornqvist for anything short of Forsberg though.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd trade a 2nd for Smith but it would have t0 be a 2021, we don't have 2020. I'm not trading Patric "Playoff Warrior" Hornqvist for anything short of Forsberg though.
I'm guessing a 2021 PIT 2nd rounder isn't going to win out. I would still take it from the NAS pov if there were no other bids. But it doesn't seem likely to be the top bid. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad