Friedman: Predators shopping Craig Smith

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Uhhh, no. A for effort though.

Yeah it makes no sense for us to trade one of our rentals for another rental. I'd maybe consider Granlund for Galchenyuk if we're still in the playoff hunt down the stretch and the potential return on Granlund from other teams is low (some combo of midround picks and B/C prospects), but Smith for Galchenyuk is a hard pass.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Picking up a different impending-UFA like Galchenyuk would be pointless. If we're selling, it's for something that will help us down the road, not for just a different player who walks away in the summer for nothing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Moving smith now doesn’t make sense to me unless he was trying to get a lw to go with granlund and duchene. We are still trying to compete. If we were trying to rebuild I could see him trying to get a pretty good prospect or pick

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Moving smith now doesn’t make sense to me unless he was trying to get a lw to go with granlund and duchene. We are still trying to compete. If we were trying to rebuild I could see him trying to get a pretty good prospect or pick

I think it just depends on where we are at the deadline. We're better with Smith in the line-up than any return he can get if we're making the playoffs, but Smith is a UFA and if we're out by the deadline he can get a solid return.

If we want to do a retool we could very realistically enter the draft with 5 picks in the top 60 and start the year with Trenin in a top 6 spot and a reloaded prospect pool.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Chiming in, no point dealing Smith until we see where the coaching change takes us.

That said, from 2nd to low 1st would probably be the going price depending on the market

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
If Nash ultimately sells I think Craig Smith would be a great fit for the Bruins. I would be surprised if Donny hasn’t inquired already.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Seems like a lot of fan bases like Craig Smith, I mean he always struck me as just a good secondary scorer good for 20-25 goals, almost like a slightly less talented version of Silfverberg, interesting to see how many people from different teams are making offers

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
2nd & 3rd round pick is my guess. He’s a guy that every team could use and every GM would love.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
He's extremely disappointing in the postseason. I think the sample size is big enough to definitively say that. Great complimentary player to have in the regular season.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He's extremely disappointing in the postseason. I think the sample size is big enough to definitively say that. Great complimentary player to have in the regular season.

Yeah, obviously it only takes one good run to change that narrative, but based on his career up to this point, i think Smith is a good player to target for a team that's trying to get over the hump in terms of making the playoffs and replacing some dead weight/add defense in their middle 6 W - rather than a piece that a contending team would necessarily add.

For example, the Florida Panthers would be a great fit. Too many offensive minded guys in their top 9, Smith would bring some defensive awareness into the mix. Or Edmonton, Smith over some of the guys on their 3rd line is an upgrade.

Chiming in, no point dealing Smith until we see where the coaching change takes us.

That said, from 2nd to low 1st would probably be the going price depending on the market

1st probably won't happen. The going rate for 2nd line wingers have been picks in the 2-3 round range.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, most Pens fans realize Galchenyuk has almost no value right now.

I assume Poille, like Rutherford, is trying to make a hockey trade by dealing Smith.

I don't think Gally is going to be traded. With Jake out now they shouldn't be making like for like trades. It prohibits depth. It wouldn't be the first time a team held onto a guy like Gally and just forced him down the roster as depth.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't judge his playoff showings too harshly in isolation. Huge swaths of the team were lackadaisical and ineffective in the last two playoff seasons. It's hard to produce when your whole team checks out around you. He had a high ankle sprain in our run to the finals the year before. With Smith, the scoring production tends to be streaky, but the thing he has really solidified over the past few seasons is his work ethic and his willingness to play in the dirty areas. He goes hard every game, whether he's scoring or not, whether he's in synch with his linemates or not. I have every confidence he'll carry that into the playoffs, whether the rest of the team does or not, and whether it translates into any points or not.

Reactions: BHD

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. I would do the Granlund swap if we can't get a 2nd for him.

A few days ago a Washington fan offered Colorado's 2nd + Lucas Johansen for Smith. I like that deal and would try something like that rather than 1-1 for Galchenyuk.

Yeah I mean if NSH could get that for him, they should obviously take it. But I doubt that the GM is giving that up. 2nd+ absolutely... but a former 1st in 2019+ a 2nd? I struggle to see it. But if NSH can get it, all the power to them.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah I mean if NSH could get that for him, they should obviously take it. But I doubt that the GM is giving that up. 2nd+ absolutely... but a former 1st in 2019+ a 2nd? I struggle to see it. But if NSH can get it, all the power to them.

That's what I said. Apparently L. Johansen has fallen behind several of their other prospects.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Hornquist (if he would waive) back to Nashville for Smith and a 2nd.

Nashville gets a proven playoff performer that is one of the best at going to the net, scoring dirty goals, and getting under opponents skin.

Penguins get some cap flexibility next year and a 2nd since they traded their 2nd previously.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Hornquist (if he would waive) back to Nashville for Smith and a 2nd.

Nashville gets a proven playoff performer that is one of the best at going to the net, scoring dirty goals, and getting under opponents skin.

Penguins get some cap flexibility next year and a 2nd since they traded their 2nd previously.

That’s... special.
Let’s not do that.

Reactions: Trade and Peat

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Feel like a good comparable, in terms of value, was Simmonds last year. He didn't return too much, but there was interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad