Predators raise a "Regular Season Western Conference Champions" banner....

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I want to see an NHL team raise a "Playoff Contender" Banner...or someone like the Oilers "NHL Draft Champions".

I second the contenders banner. Then the Flyers can hang banners for the 6 cup finals they lost. I guess 0.250 finals winning percentage is better than some teams.

Edit - you guys must be getting close to the most losses in a row. Detroit has 13 total, but I think they would be hard pressed to have 7 in a row.

> tied with the Leafs (6 losses, 1933-1940) and the wings (6 losses, 1956-1995).. get to one more and you guys have a shot at the record!!

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
well at least now the fans can pretend like they actually won something important

nothing will ever beat this though

untitled-11.jpg

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
President's Trophy is good accomplishment as was winning the west the 2017 season. It's not the cup but it's the next best thing..

yes it is. but saying you were the "WC Regular Season Champion" is hilariously bad

i'm assuming they raised a banner last year for the 2017 WC champs? obviously that's a must

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
yes it is. but saying you were the "WC Regular Season Champion" is hilariously bad

i'm assuming they raised a banner last year for the 2017 WC champs? obviously that's a must
They did.

The Presidents Trophy pretty much covers winning the regular season west, so it wasn't needed, hopefully the idea is to just update that each year we have the best record in the west during the regular season by just adding the year, and I have no problem with that.

I think it's funny this is such a big deal. When Detroit did it in 2003 I don't remember anyone commenting on it... Same with when Dallas, San Jose or Washington did it. It's just an issue now for all of these "hockeyer then thou" folks on here that were looking for a reason to point at Nashville and laugh...

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I second the contenders banner. Then Flyers can hang banners for the 6 cup finals they lost. I guess 0.250 finals winning percentage is better than some teams.

Edit - you guys must be getting close to the most losses in a row. Detroit has 13 total, but I think they would be hard pressed to have 7 in a row.

> tied with the Leafs (6 losses, 1933-1940) and the wings (6 losses, 1956-1995).. get to one more and you guys have a shot at the record!!

Both Det and Toronto have streaks of 6 losses in a row so a 3 way tie.

Habs have streaks of 9 wins and 7 wins in a row

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Both Det and Toronto have streaks of 6 losses in a row so a 3 way tie.

Habs have streaks of 9 wins and 7 wins in a row

Yeah the habitants were loaded... Added the tie to my post.

The Toronto one was amazing, 6 losses in what...7 years?

At least both of those teams have won 8+. Flyers dont have that luxury haha

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It would make more sense if they hadn't also won the President's Trophy. Adding the Regular Season Western Conference Champions banner just seems unnecessary.

Who knows, maybe they had a "Buy 2 get the 3rd Free" sale at the banner store?

When I first saw the thread title I couldn't remember them winning the presidents. So I was like... "wtf? That's outrageous if they didn't win the Pres but put that up."

Does seem redundant doesnt it.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Word on the street is that Carolina is raising a banner that says:

“Most Points In The League through October 10th, 2018.

*Anaheim would claim this title if they win their game in hand.”

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Interesting take from a team with...zero banners of any kind?

Oh we have banners. Just not many related to the NHL. We got Avco Cup banners, retired players, some Moose banners and don’t forget those Winnipeg Victoria’s cup wins in the 1890’s and early 1900’s.

Perhaps we could add a “the Oilers took our lunch money” banner for the 80’s.

In the end the one thing missing from the rafters is the giant portrait of the Queen.

Reactions: sabremike

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It kills me that last season got them three banners up there..... like come on, know one cares!

TheRealPepman

Jul 8, 2018

Sid Seixero of Sportsnet thinks overall championship and retired number banners are the ones that should be hung. No to divisional championships, paying tributes to artists, all that.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017

Sid Seixero of Sportsnet thinks overall championship and retired number banners are the ones that should be hung. No to divisional championships, paying tributes to artists, all that.

what bothers me more is the awful text spacing on the President's Trophy banner

brutal

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
They should add 'regular season' above Central Dvision Champions as well.

They appear to have the 3 star dragonball on them as well.

I think you can raise the Presidents' Trophy banner, a Stanley Cup banner and I'm okay with a 'division champs' banner if it means winning into the conference final. I can accept a banner for leading the entire league in points, but not one for getting higher seeding in a divisional playoff bracket that you failed to win.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I wish I could post a picture of it but the Devils put up a 1988 Patrick Division Playoff Champions banner. As ridiculous as it sounds I don't think it's that bad in context of it being literally the first successful season in team history. I hope it's still up there as a touching reminder of a humble beginning that lead to greatness.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
what bothers me more is the awful text spacing on the President's Trophy banner

brutal

I like how "Regular Season" is half the size of "Western Conference Champions".

If you are going to do it, and you shouldn't, at least own it. :laugh:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I wish I could post a picture of it but the Devils put up a 1988 Patrick Division Playoff Champions banner. As ridiculous as it sounds I don't think it's that bad in context of it being literally the first successful season in team history. I hope it's still up there as a touching reminder of a humble beginning that lead to greatness.

dont know if its still there….but i found this recent image from the rock so ill assume it is...

Devils15.jpg

..also, there were these:

7J7exVil.jpg

Reactions: sabremike

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly winning a conference in the regular season is much more impressive than winning it in the Playoffs

the sample size is like 4 times as big and you're playing against more than just a few teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad