Predators raise a "Regular Season Western Conference Champions" banner....

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
... cringe worthy for sure.

IMO, the only team banners you should raise are; President's Cup, Stanley Cup Champion and Conference Champion (in the playoffs). You should not have a ceremony of the latter of the three.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
... cringe worthy for sure.

IMO, the only team banners you should raise are; President's Cup, Stanley Cup Champion and Conference Champion (in the playoffs). You should not have a ceremony of the latter of the three.

What about Smythe Division champion?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It's sort of embarrassing, and quite frankly they deserve more. I feel like they're raising banners because their rafters are mostly empty. They iced decent teams for years before the lockout, on payrolls of 10 million. Never had a top 3 pick I believe. Went years without a top 5 or 8 pick after expansion iirc and still fared decently. They're an amazingly managed team, that has made the best of their circumstances. They've reportedly got great fans and their games are lively and fun in their arena.

They're a team I would genuinely like to see win a cup.

Edit- looked it up. After the second overall pick in their inaugural year they went from 1999 to 2014 without a top 5 pick. Never had the first overall. Just two top 5s in their history.

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Winning 3 rounds in playoffs and advancing to the Stanley Cup final is presented a trophy for winning the conference.

1) Presidents trophy (#1 in Regular season)

2) Confrence champs (win 3 rounds) east/west

3) Stanley Cup win

Only 4 banners worth putting up

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
When the Canucks won it, they didn't have a ceremony for it. Just a banner, so yes surprising move.

Capitals did the same thing. They just appeared in the rafters. Probably would have been the better way to go. I bet the players who had to stand on the ice for that agree.

I thought the Caps and some other teams have done this? I don’t see the big deal personally, presidents trophy isn’t nothing.

It’s about building pride and support locally amongst fans , Not so much about impressing random people from elsewhere in the league.

Not everyone subscribes to the “Stanley Cup or nothing” mindset. 82 games is a lot of games to just ignore

I agree completely, it is damn impressive to be the best team in the NHL for an entire season. The actually on ice ceremony would be my only issue. I think the Capitals should keep the three President Trophy Banner and the Cup Banner and get rid of everything else.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
For me, only Presidents Trophy, Eastern/Western playoff champs and Stanley Cup are 'banner worthy', but if a team wants to use banners to showcase their history a bit more thoroughly, who am I to argue? Hang one for each year you made the playoffs, kids read stuff like that and will learn something. Just use bigger banners for bigger accomplishments.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I would have loved to have been in the meeting where they decided this was a good idea.

Nashville seems to be well managed in terms of their on ice product (obviously) but their marketing department needs to be cleaned out.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
For me, only Presidents Trophy, Eastern/Western playoff champs and Stanley Cup are 'banner worthy'

One is definitely not like the others, and only one of these is banner worthy - the rest are second class, and useless. I’ll let you guess which one.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I don't know why people care so much about this. If they want to be proud of an accomplishment, who are we to judge.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
sports-certificate-for-kids-5.jpg

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
It's embarrassing. One of the few things the team has done wrong the last several years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->