Predators Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Leave Observations, if possible give it a "Post game talk" prefix and even change the name to "Post Game Observations"

That's what the core of that thread was when Steve posted regularly. Every game, the next morning he would post his breakdown of the previous night, and generally well educated and civil discussion would follow. Over the prolonged stoppages of the past two seasons, Observations became the catch all thread for everything. I like the idea of a catch all "Preds hockey talk" thread which is where everything except the immediate past game is discussed.

Sorry, not meaning to be bossy. But I think several other posters feel this way too, based on other posts.

@AtlantaWhaler
@Jonesey

Its obviously your call

That thread is one I want to be stickied, otherwise during weeks we aren't playing that will eventually drop off the first page and then someone has to try to make another one. I think the Game Observations thread, whatever we name it, should also be stickied.

Like "Fugu's Business of Hockey", we can name it Pred303's Game Observations Thread. We miss him, but I like the idea of honoring him whenever we post something there.

Reactions: hockey diva

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I feel like this team has undergone a huge make over. I do think we'll be tougher to play against.

Lavy's line seems to be the top scoring line

Forsberg-Joey-Duchene top minutes but still lower than 20 a night

Then Hynes scoring line

Tolvanen-Granlund-Tomasino next in line but still right around 15, except for Granlund who will play 20+ because he'll be the top pker as well as likely top powerplay

The Hynes new style lines. The gritty "hard to play against line"

Jeanot-Glass-Kunin* 11 minutes a night, unless they get some special teams
Cousins/Olivier-Sissons-Trenin 11 minutes a night, unless they get some special teams.

I don't know where Rocco fits.

Defensively, I'm just as lost

Josi-FAbbro/Carrier/Myers
Elholm-FAbbro/Carrier/Myers
Harpur/Robo-Fabbro/Myers/Benning

Reactions: bdub24

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I feel like this team has undergone a huge make over. I do think we'll be tougher to play against.

Lavy's line seems to be the top scoring line

Forsberg-Joey-Duchene top minutes but still lower than 20 a night

Then Hynes scoring line

Tolvanen-Granlund-Tomasino next in line but still right around 15, except for Granlund who will play 20+ because he'll be the top pker as well as likely top powerplay

The Hynes new style lines. The gritty "hard to play against line"

Jeanot-Glass-Kunin* 11 minutes a night, unless they get some special teams
Cousins/Olivier-Sissons-Trenin 11 minutes a night, unless they get some special teams.

I don't know where Rocco fits.

Defensively, I'm just as lost

Josi-FAbbro/Carrier/Myers
Elholm-FAbbro/Carrier/Myers
Harpur/Robo-Fabbro/Myers/Benning
I like the idea of
Josi-Fabbro
Ekholm-Carrier
Harpur-Myers
but who know if that'll work out. All 3 on the right side still have to earn their spot.

Reactions: triggrman

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
E12lm0WXsAM_Erq

Here's how far off on average to the actual final points they were last year compared to the other frequently cited models. They didn't do it this year but they typically do a fan survey at the Athletic as a comparison too and they are usually about as good as the better models. So essentially the wisdom of crowds is as good as any of these models.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah I don't feel great about our roster and the first half of last season we were trending in the range of a top 5 pick. Doesn't surprise me at all that the Preds are predicted to be bottom 10. This really shouldn't be a shock.

If you take the rough mean points error and add it to Preds total then you'd get roughly to the same points % we had this year. So it's not like the points prediction is a real outlier if we think the team might be as good as it was last year.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well the problem with all of these models is they can't factor in injuries and various other things. I also think this thing is being heavily skewed by a prior season played where divisions were completely different.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Analytics are good for saying "here's what happened in the past game/season" especially in some areas that aren't as easy to track when watching. Which is how NHL teams actually use them.

They're not too good for making player evaluations and comparing against one another, and they're absolutely useless for predicting the future.

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
E12lm0WXsAM_Erq

Here's how far off on average to the actual final points they were last year compared to the other frequently cited models. They didn't do it this year but they typically do a fan survey at the Athletic as a comparison too and they are usually about as good as the better models. So essentially the wisdom of crowds is as good as any of these models.
This really proves the point of how futile this crap is. Sure it might be fun to do a preseason prediction at points and standings as a source of banter with friends, virtual or otherwise, but the clout that these guys carry is ridiculous.
I know there wasn't an even spread on those seven and a half points across every team but it does mean for every one he got right he got one wrong by 15 points. Even if you did spread them evenly for evey team that was 7.5 points better there is a team that is 7.5 worse. 15 point swings between teams is a huge gap.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Vegas went to a cup finals their first year. Montreal just went to the finals this year. We were the lowest seed and swept the favorites in the first round. Someone please remember these projections and let’s compare to final standings. We are in for a good laugh.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Two thoughts for the day.
I'm really excited to see how Afanasayev does in camp he's the guy I want to keep an eye on.

Is there any scouting on Luff? Is he just a young depth player/AHL signing or could the change off scenery be a Jumpstart for him?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Two thoughts for the day.
I'm really excited to see how Afanasayev does in camp he's the guy I want to keep an eye on.

Is there any scouting on Luff? Is he just a young depth player/AHL signing or could the change off scenery be a Jumpstart for him?
Afanasayev for me too. Oh, and L’Heureux, really excited about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
They usually only get guys in camp 2 or 3 times when they are young. I think it's an age thing as well as a point of development thing.

Blue team looks stacked for the game tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->