Predators Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Brian Poile getting hired as the GM would be similar to Julien Brisebois, though under different circumstances.

Jeff Kealty getting hired as the GM would be more conducive to Jim Benning’s path and Scotty Nichol’s path would be most similar to Tom Fitzgerald.

All three I believe have a case to be considered as David Poile’s eventual successor.

While I would obviously prefer Brisebois' results, I think he had a unbelievably good situation fall in his lap (much like Shero in Pittsburgh). I think if Poile steps down in the next 2 or 3 years Kealty is the obvious choice(unless the reason Poile steps down is because the team stinks and none of these draftees that Kealty scouted work out).

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
A Pred fan can only dream that Kealty and Nolan are what it took for Poile to find some forward talent in the draft. And in 2-3 years we're looking at flourishing group of youngsters with a world class goalie.

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't know how people feel about keeping the Observation Threads going. It feels a little uncomfortable to still be posting there and the traffic has really decreased. I don't know if that is because people feel the way I do or we've all been better about keeping topics in their respective threads but since the current Observation thread is almost at 1000 I figured I'd create a catch-all Preds discussion thread. If people want to use this for the catch-all Preds hockey talk, great, or if people prefer to continue to use Observations the way we have, I'm good with that too, just throwing it out there.

Thoughts?

For me, I don't care much what we call it, but I 100% hope we keep a "catch all"/general observations thread. There are some advantages to individual threads for everything, but I bet anything the overall traffic will decrease without it- some will not create a new separate thread for a minor comment/thought.

No matter how it happens, the more discussion we have on here the better.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
For me, I don't care much what we call it, but I 100% hope we keep a "catch all"/general observations thread. There are some advantages to individual threads for everything, but I bet anything the overall traffic will decrease without it- some will not create a new separate thread for a minor comment/thought.

No matter how it happens, the more discussion we have on here the better.
+1. I wasn't around in the early days so don't have the same context for the "Observations" thread. Seems to me there's plenty of solid hockey knowledge around to keep such a thread around, but if people are going to have hard feelings over it (and newer members aren't going to understand the background, so that would cause friction at some point) then let's just have a dedicated ongoing thread with a different name.

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
The observation thread is the first thread I go to when I lurk.
I took a break when there was too much discussion on coffee though but at least it was during the off-season.

Jul 12, 2007
Brian Poile getting hired as the GM would be similar to Julien Brisebois, though under different circumstances.

Jeff Kealty getting hired as the GM would be more conducive to Jim Benning’s path and Scotty Nichol’s path would be most similar to Tom Fitzgerald.

All three I believe have a case to be considered as David Poile’s eventual successor.
I could root for a GM Nichols, and a team full of Scott Nichols lol. We’d need to draft the L’Hereux of each draft, every year.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This should probably be stickied.

I like the idea of a catchall hockey discussion thread. Observations seems to be more about the ins and outs, x's and o's, which is useful. But there are factors outside of the details that are interesting to us fans, too. We need a place where we can talk about the secondary things--arena items like sound or temperature or even the production value of the experience. It's still hockey and even Preds related, but it may have nothing to do with the on ice product.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
While I appreciate the spot-on humor... it would also be kinda nice if we got some official updates on our ACTUAL QO list... instead of having to source it third-party... :dunno:

Reactions: Seth Lake

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

If it's his son... I may be done. We need new thinking. New blood. I'd be pretty disappointed in that.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
K....sooo....y'all want to just leave this one going as is? Unstickied as well?
I personally don't have an opinion on whether this is stickied or not. Adz asked for it to be stickied but I have no idea how others feel about it.

I do know that I won't be starting any conversations in the Observations thread because, as Trigg said, that was Steve's

Reactions: triggrman

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Happy to merge this with the stickied Observations thread. Y'all let me know.

Leave Observations, if possible give it a "Post game talk" prefix and even change the name to "Post Game Observations"

That's what the core of that thread was when Steve posted regularly. Every game, the next morning he would post his breakdown of the previous night, and generally well educated and civil discussion would follow. Over the prolonged stoppages of the past two seasons, Observations became the catch all thread for everything. I like the idea of a catch all "Preds hockey talk" thread which is where everything except the immediate past game is discussed.

Sorry, not meaning to be bossy. But I think several other posters feel this way too, based on other posts.

@AtlantaWhaler
@Jonesey

Its obviously your call

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Leave Observations, if possible give it a "Post game talk" prefix and even change the name to "Post Game Observations"

That's what the core of that thread was when Steve posted regularly. Every game, the next morning he would post his breakdown of the previous night, and generally well educated and civil discussion would follow. Over the prolonged stoppages of the past two seasons, Observations became the catch all thread for everything. I like the idea of a catch all "Preds hockey talk" thread which is where everything except the immediate past game is discussed.

Sorry, not meaning to be bossy. But I think several other posters feel this way too, based on other posts.

@AtlantaWhaler
@Jonesey

Its obviously your call

I second this sentiment!

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yep I would leave observations as " discuss the last games play " and then have this one for just every days stuff that may or may not be related to the previous game

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
There a reason we can't just use the GDTs for specific pre-during-post game discussions and then have a general Preds talk thread for the pseudo-observations thread? I'd like to think Steve's hope would be that the community would progress to a point where it wasn't just HIS observation thread, but I feel like there are going to be issues and hurt feelings with however it is handled (especially this soon, time may change perspectives on it). I would say "permanently" close Observations in honor of 303, sticky it, and let a general Preds talk thread "replace" it. If a split is needed between roster and tactical discussion (I don't think it's necessary now), then adjust at that point.

Last edited:

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
My intention in setting up a new Pred3 O3servations on Memorial Day, a name suggested by others, was to show him respect while he was still with us and let him know that we honored his contributions and that he would be remembered and his thread continued. If that was not appropriate then delete that thread completely. Without his input I'll likely rarely if ever post there again so do what you all please. It was really just a signal to him with appreciation.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
There a reason we can't just use the GDTs for specific pre-during-post game discussions and then have a general Preds talk thread for the pseudo-observations thread? I'd like to think Steve's hope would be that the community would progress to a point where it wasn't just HIS observation thread, but I feel like there are going to be issues and hurt feelings with however it is handled (especially this soon, time may change perspectives on it). I would say "permanently" close Observations in honor of 303, sticky it, and let a general Preds talk thread "replace" it. If a split is needed between roster and tactical discussion (I don't think it's necessary now), then adjust at that point.

Agree with this completely- there is nothing wrong in my opinion with keeping the Observations thread and continuing it just the way it was. Keeping it going for me is a way to continue to honor Steve. I just don't see the need for separate threads with "rules" about what can be discussed in it. This ain't rocket science- no need to overthink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->