Predators Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I don't know how people feel about keeping the Observation Threads going. It feels a little uncomfortable to still be posting there and the traffic has really decreased. I don't know if that is because people feel the way I do or we've all been better about keeping topics in their respective threads but since the current Observation thread is almost at 1000 I figured I'd create a catch-all Preds discussion thread. If people want to use this for the catch-all Preds hockey talk, great, or if people prefer to continue to use Observations the way we have, I'm good with that too, just throwing it out there.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Legionnaire11

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Just bumped up the new observations thread if one of the mods wants to close the other and sticky the 303 tribute one.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I like the shift to more individual threads to separate the discussion a bit. It will be beneficial down the road when someone wants to search for a topic. For example, five years down the road someone wants to know what Preds fans thought about the Ellis trade, it's easy to find and follow the discussion rather than being buried in a catch-all thread mixed in with multiple other topics.

Nothing wrong with the observations thread, but it was a lot better when it was mainly just Steve using it for his post game thoughts the way he originally intended.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I like the shift to more individual threads to separate the discussion a bit. It will be beneficial down the road when someone wants to search for a topic. For example, five years down the road someone wants to know what Preds fans thought about the Ellis trade, it's easy to find and follow the discussion rather than being buried in a catch-all thread mixed in with multiple other topics.

Nothing wrong with the observations thread, but it was a lot better when it was mainly just Steve using it for his post game thoughts the way he originally intended.
Agreed on specific threads being more on topic.
There is probably a need for a random catch all too it just weird for me to keep seeing the Observations thread come up when Steve will never be adding his insight or moderating the discussion when it gets a little too crazy the way he used to.
It might only be me that feels that way and that's fine.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
This summer has a decidedly different flare to it. It's not that Poile hasn't ever had busy summers or made big moves but they've typically been a one and done type of thing. As much as some people hate the "nepotism" of the front office for the Preds I wonder if Brian is pulling more strings and/or influencing decisions more than we know.
Not that the old dog can't learn new tricks, this seems like a different philosophy all together to me.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
We have 28 mil in cap space, the free agency pool isn’t great, but not bad, I’m wondering if we’re planning on throwing a butt load of money towards Gabriel Landeskog, or going after a Jack Eichel, or Tarasenko (Hopefully not Tarasenko).

if this isn’t related to the thread sorry lol

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
This summer has a decidedly different flare to it. It's not that Poile hasn't ever had busy summers or made big moves but they've typically been a one and done type of thing. As much as some people hate the "nepotism" of the front office for the Preds I wonder if Brian is pulling more strings and/or influencing decisions more than we know.
Not that the old dog can't learn new tricks, this seems like a different philosophy all together to me.

I kinda doubt it. You have to think Poile is desperate for one more run at a Cup before he retires, and you have to think he needs to go out on a high note if Brian is to remain in the org after hes gone. I think Poile gave the core group from 2017 several more chances to prove they could do it again. Now that they have definitively shown they cant, he is making big changes. But last year showed him that our youth have great potential, so rather than sign 4 or 5 free agents out of desperation, he has pruned the deadwood and is finding young players to fill those spots. I think he knows deep down that while this team could make the playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle, the best chance for a Preds cup is probably gonna be a team led by Tomasino, Tolvanen, Fabbro, Carrier, and Askarov.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
It’s like Poile woke up and thought “I’ve been nice and haven’t won anything in 40 years. Maybe Brian Burke was right.”

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I totally agree that it feels that a team philosophy has shifted. Our defense seems to be more 2 way or even defensive based. Our wingers more physical and size and aggressive play seems to be more of a focus. Our smallest defenseman is gone, smallest winger, gone, smallest center, gone. Replaced by a 6’5” defenseman, 6’2” center and we’ll see on wing but protecting Kunin and Jeanot means we’re getting more physical.
This shift though might put more pressure on our centers though

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We need to sign a backup goalie to a 1-yr deal. That's about all we really NEED to do. I hope Poile saw last season that chasing after other luxury items on the UFA market just isn't worth it. If we get Granlund or a bottom-6 center on our terms, fine, if not, fine. But don't go chasing anybody. Get us Halak or somebody on a 1-yr deal as a backup, then sit back and wait.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
We have 28 mil in cap space, the free agency pool isn’t great, but not bad, I’m wondering if we’re planning on throwing a butt load of money towards Gabriel Landeskog, or going after a Jack Eichel, or Tarasenko (Hopefully not Tarasenko).

if this isn’t related to the thread sorry lol
I hope not. I personally would love to see what the kids can do.

I kinda doubt it. You have to think Poile is desperate for one more run at a Cup before he retires, and you have to think he needs to go out on a high note if Brian is to remain in the org after hes gone. I think Poile gave the core group from 2017 several more chances to prove they could do it again. Now that they have definitively shown they cant, he is making big changes. But last year showed him that our youth have great potential, so rather than sign 4 or 5 free agents out of desperation, he has pruned the deadwood and is finding young players to fill those spots. I think he knows deep down that while this team could make the playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle, the best chance for a Preds cup is probably gonna be a team led by Tomasino, Tolvanen, Fabbro, Carrier, and Askarov.
I agree Poile is anxious about his time growing short and maybe that's why he's letting some others influence him more.?.

I totally agree that it feels that a team philosophy has shifted. Our defense seems to be more 2 way or even defensive based. Our wingers more physical and size and aggressive play seems to be more of a focus. Our smallest defenseman is gone, smallest winger, gone, smallest center, gone. Replaced by a 6’5” defenseman, 6’2” center and we’ll see on wing but protecting Kunin and Jeanot means we’re getting more physical.
This shift though might put more pressure on our centers though
Unfortunately, the smallest winger is still on the team..:razz:

We need to sign a backup goalie to a 1-yr deal. That's about all we really NEED to do. I hope Poile saw last season that chasing after other luxury items on the UFA market just isn't worth it. If we get Granlund or a bottom-6 center on our terms, fine, if not, fine. But don't go chasing anybody. Get us Halak or somebody on a 1-yr deal as a backup, then sit back and wait.
Agreed.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
On another note I really hope we dont go straight from David to Brian when the time comes. It would be ideal if Brian could get an asst GM spot with another org both to keep his experience from being totally "inbred" and to make sure he can cut it without Dad looking over his shoulder. If Kealty doesnt get tired of waiting and look elsewhere (like Fenton did.. see how that worked out) he should be the next GM.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
How well Ingram bounced back from his off ice issues determines if we NEED to really chase a veteran backup. It's a risk penciling him into that slot but one that would have made sense when he was last playing regularly for Milwaukee. That also means risk in the AHL with Cooley and Vomacka. All of that risk makes me lean towards a FA goalie signing to mitigate the risk at both levels.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
What are the chances we bring back Hutton, or former Pred Devan Dubnyk who was with us for like 5 seconds, to be our vet backup

I'd say it all boils down to who is available and what their asking price will be. I'd try to land Reimer or Halak before either of those two, and if those two I'd probably go with Dubnyk before Hutton

Reactions: AnalogKid

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I'd try to land Reimer or Halak
Those two I definitely would prefer, and we have enough cap to afford one of them, just depends if they want to come here, cause I see Reimer wanting to do a reunion with Toronto, but Halak might be a good option for us to go for, cause he can handle starting if Saros goes down with an injury.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
On another note I really hope we dont go straight from David to Brian when the time comes. It would be ideal if Brian could get an asst GM spot with another org both to keep his experience from being totally "inbred" and to make sure he can cut it without Dad looking over his shoulder. If Kealty doesnt get tired of waiting and look elsewhere (like Fenton did.. see how that worked out) he should be the next GM.
Yeah, just caught up on the interviews from the last few days, Kealty is probably the one pushing things it the direction they're going it would seem.
I guess I got the idea that Brian was more important in the organization from all the complaints here. I haven't really paid attention to the structure of the front office.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Yeah, just caught up on the interviews from the last few days, Kealty is probably the one pushing things it the direction they're going it would seem.
I guess I got the idea that Brian was more important in the organization from all the complaints here. I haven't really paid attention to the structure of the front office.
I’m pretty sure Brian is more of the cap compliance AGM, Kealty runs scouting and the draft, and Nichol oversees Milwaukee and Florida and all things player development wise.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I’m pretty sure Brian is more of the cap compliance AGM, Kealty runs scouting and the draft, and Nichol oversees Milwaukee and Florida and all things player development wise.
So if there was a change and promotion from within you'd be looking toward Kealty, the guy that evaluates players not the cap compliance guy.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it would be insanity given the cap room we have to just wing it with Ingram as backup.
That can't be an option. We have to go into camp with 3 goalies regardless, because injuries can also happen. If Ingram is somehow working successfully right now to put himself back on the map, great, here's hoping he is doing that. But we need another goalie either way. If by some miracle Ingram flips the switch and can beat out a veteran like Halak for the backup job, that'd be fantastic. But we'll only know that in October, not on Wednesday. On Wednesday, based on the data we have at hand on Wednesday, we need to sign a goalie.

Last edited:

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
So if there was a change and promotion from within you'd be looking toward Kealty, the guy that evaluates players not the cap compliance guy.
Brian Poile getting hired as the GM would be similar to Julien Brisebois, though under different circumstances.

Jeff Kealty getting hired as the GM would be more conducive to Jim Benning’s path and Scotty Nichol’s path would be most similar to Tom Fitzgerald.

All three I believe have a case to be considered as David Poile’s eventual successor.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
With the shake up of the core and all the new faces I wonder if Josi is going to be getting everyone to town early and have some captain's practices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->