Predators Fantasy Hockey Thread

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yes I know it's July, but a question about the keepers. (in regards to UtmFisher's espn league)

The 1 keeper who has to be born after '86 (I believe), does said player have to be someone we drafted, or could it be someone we picked up off waivers/FA? Cheers.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Yes I know it's July, but a question about the keepers. (in regards to UtmFisher's espn league)

The 1 keeper who has to be born after '86 (I believe), does said player have to be someone we drafted, or could it be someone we picked up off waivers/FA? Cheers.

Anyone on your current roster (no adding players during the offseason)

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The keepers are players from your current roster. Once the trade deadline passed in your league, these were the players you were allowed to choose from for your keepers. It can be someone you drafted, picked up off of waivers, a free agent or via trade.

utmfisher19

Nov 29, 2005
Nashville, Tn

Anyone on your current roster (no adding players during the offseason)
Sorry... I just saw this. I take the summers off :) The above answer is correct.

it doesn't matter. you all are losers. I will regain my crown as premeir league champion. kiss my ring.
Pssssh. In your easy division you might this year. I'm still waiting on the year that you, Glenn, and I all are in the same division.

Results from 2011-2012 Season
PL promotions: Preddevil, Iceholes
L2 promotions: Boise Steelhead, predarat, shootthepuck
L3 promotions: Olaf G, Dusten A, JSports38
L4 promotions: Mike SV, Sean C, Morgan M
L5 promotions: ATL Griz, Mac, Preds4Eva

The Fantasy Hockey Leagues for 2012-2013 are now setup and available.
Here is some info on my league:

Anyone on here want to join the large fantasy hockey league that I have setup on ESPN? Currently, I have 6 and 1/4 full leagues with over 84 players. I would love for everyone interested (whether you are new to fantasy sports or a seasoned vet) from the HF Boards to join. The leagues are arranged based on experience and promotions/relegations from these leagues. They are arranged as follows: experts(1) to legends (2) all-stars(3) to pros(4) to amateurs(5) to rookies(6). If you are interested in a league that has keepers, promotion/relegation, and comprehensive stats (like blocks, TOI, and hits) then PM me or email me at [email protected] to join. I can give you any info you need; including any questions about how the league is setup, etc. The leagues are not complex in that all you need to do is show up, draft, set your roster daily (or once a week... however much you want to check it), and then label your keepers at the end of the year. I take care of the rest.

The leagues are complete with 3+1 keepers (3 of any age and 1 U23), a relegation system throughout the 6 Leagues, and is played by a large group of Predators fans (and other fans around the world sprinkled in).

Currently, I am looking for about 2-4 more players to complete various holes left by the top 6 leagues and 10-12 more players to complete a 7th full league. I believe we can do this this year as I have added 1 full league each of the past 4 years and want to do it again.

We have a large group of the regular poster's from OTF, HFBoards on down to the NP.com boards.

WHY CARE ABOUT FANTASY HOCKEY?

This is a question I hear a lot from those who don't participate in fantasy sports. It's not just a waste of time, as many may think. Depending on the players you have drafted, it provides the means for you to actually care about what happens in a Florida-Edmonton game in late November!

Player Familiarity
For me, one of the biggest benefits is that you are exposed to players from all the teams in the league. In order to assemble the best team possible, you need to know about players from everywhere (including the minors) and not just the marquee guys around the NHL. This familiarity with all players brings knowledge about who scores/wins faceoffs/gets power play time -- all things that will enhance your viewing experience when you watch that team play for real.

In short, Fantasy Hockey can be an educational tool for familiarizing yourself with NHL teams and players, which can amplify your enjoyment of watching games, no matter which teams are playing.

Knowledge Of Opponents
If you take care to research players from teams you may not be familiar with, that knowledge will help when it comes time to watch a Predators game. Knowing who tends to draw penalties for the Capitals or who the power play point producers are for Colorado - this will provide info on other aspects of the game to be aware of and anticipate while watching a game.

Fan Camaraderie
And as Preds fans, we can have some fun building a fictitious team while enjoying the season with fellow Predators fans, talking smack about others' teams, and gain bragging rights among other Managers. Fantasy leagues are a good forum to discuss players with others and see their perspectives (not that we don't get plenty of that in the gameday threads...).

So participating in a fantasy hockey league can be a rewarding and, dare I say, educational experience. Like most pursuits, though, you get out of it what you put into it. Fantasy Hockey came into view for me much later than baseball and football did, but I can't imagine a hockey season without it!

Thanks!

Brian Fisher ([email protected])

utmfisher19

Nov 29, 2005
Nashville, Tn
To give a quick update...

I've been surprised at the number of responses of the people that want to join. At the beginning of last week, I was hoping to get somewhere between 10-16 people to join before the end of September. Well, I've already met that goal BEFORE September! And am looking to add more...

Just respond in this thread, email me, or PM me!

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Them's fightn' words.

I had a great regular season, terrible playoffs. I'm the SanJose sharks of the fantasy world.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hey Brian, am I drafting from scratch with this new team like before or can I select keepers from the current roster?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I am a "regular" in the mock GM games on these boards, and a new one is about to start up! If you havent done it, it's basically a week-long thing where you take a team, make trades with them, and then GMs vote on the best one to win the cup, then you start over. Lots of fun, and you can literally do one a week.

With summer over, we lost a lot of players who were in high school or college, so spots are open! For this current game, there is a twist! We are doing a 10 team dispersal draft and only keeping 20, because that is all the interest we have. The bad news?...

Nashville is one of the final 12 unclaimed and will fold if no one takes them! :amazed:

If this sounds like fun (it is), come claim Nashville (or any of the other 11) here. 2 spots remain, so hurry!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1252463&page=7

utmfisher19

Nov 29, 2005
Nashville, Tn
Hey Brian, am I drafting from scratch with this new team like before or can I select keepers from the current roster?
You will be drafting a whole new team. I am considering allowing new teams to select an U25 from the teams that they inherited. But I haven't made a decision yet. An email will go out from me this weekend about draft date/time, what happens if there is a lock-out, when keeper selections are due, and what new teams can expect from now until the draft.

Currently I'm just trying to get a whole new league full. Right now, I about 8 players short. If you are interested, please give me a shout.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
You will be drafting a whole new team. I am considering allowing new teams to select an U25 from the teams that they inherited. But I haven't made a decision yet. An email will go out from me this weekend about draft date/time, what happens if there is a lock-out, when keeper selections are due, and what new teams can expect from now until the draft.

Currently I'm just trying to get a whole new league full. Right now, I about 8 players short. If you are interested, please give me a shout.

i can dominate a second league and not advance if needed

utmfisher19

Nov 29, 2005
Nashville, Tn
I have 2 final spots remaining.

Don't be scared that you don't know about other players around the league outside the Preds. Fantasy hockey HELPS you to know them... If it weren't for fantasy football, I wouldn't know as much as teams' #2 and #3 WR in the NFL... So let me know if you are interested!

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
i've played in a handful of leagues and brian's is by far the most enjoyable one i've been in besides the league we had at the thrashers board :pout:

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
I love the way this is structured. Even at the end if your team is out of playoff contention, you are still motivated to do your best because the last thing you want is a damn relegation on your resume.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hey Brian I haven't heard from you yet in regards to my keeper situation. I know there's a lockout but you still have the keeper deadline set for thursday or friday I believe. Just want to know where I stand.

Cheers.

utmfisher19

Nov 29, 2005
Nashville, Tn
Hey Brian I haven't heard from you yet in regards to my keeper situation. I know there's a lockout but you still have the keeper deadline set for thursday or friday I believe. Just want to know where I stand.

Cheers.
I answered half of your question here :p: :
Hey Brian, am I drafting from scratch with this new team like before or can I select keepers from the current roster
And then I sent out the email that I mentioned above with the subject line reading, "State of Preds Fantasy Hockey Leagues" that stated:
6.) For teams that are new to their league (via promotion/demotion or new to Preds Leagues in general), the teams that you inherited are NOT your teams. You must draft them. You will not have any keepers, nor will you be allowed to keep an U25. The U25 rule is for returning teams only. PLEASE NOTE: Since you guys cannot keep U25 players, you will "draft" a scrub player as your first pick (1st round is REALLY the last round of the draft). Do not be alarmed that Jarred Smithson is your first overall selection. You guys get a significant advantage by being able to draft the first 3 rounds of the draft before everyone else does. Trust me, it's true -- I've got 7 years of proof.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yea the first part is fine, I get that.

I didn't receive any email though. Are you sure you've got the right address? I'll pm you just incase you need to contact me in the future. Other than that, everything has been cleared up nicely. Thanks Brian.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
What if we really do want Jarred Smithson? Then again maybe that kind of thing is why we got relegated to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad