Post-Game Talk: Predators 3, Penguins 1 - Tip of the Hat to Regular Season Rinne

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ @ColePens calling Dumo-Trotman > Maatta - Dumo. He took a lot of crap for it but was 100% right.
+ Bjugs and Horny.
+ Game is over.

- Phil and coaching on the PP
- Phil is going to KILL L2 in the playoffs unless he stops acting like it's preseason (a healthy Geno and McCann, who I think will work as a combo, can't play short handed hockey at 5 on 5 and make the type of difference we'll need with THIS Phil).

Two other notes . . .

1. Schultz is struggling, and it goes beyond Jack Johnson. I isolated. A lot of his problems are of his own making.

2. Rust is a little off, but truth be told McCann ran into the same issue . . . namely, Sid is kind of in cruise control 200 feet. I think he's saving himself for the playoffs. As long as he is, we'll be fine.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
pred2.gif

edit: Pens go down shooting..and shooting...and shooting

Last edited:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
So you may remember after last game I said I would keep a log of every Phil mistake. Well I just went all-in and did a shift-by-shift log. I'll split it by period

Phil Kessel shift-by-shift
March 29, 2019

1st period:

19:20- Nothing of note. Clogged neutral zone prohibited zone entry twice
17:00- short shift. Nothing happened
13:49- Cycled the puck to NSH D. He changed and his line + Hornqvist proceeded to have an extended shift in the offensive zone.
10:18- Couldn’t handle touch pass during breakout. Turned it over. Later dumped puck in that NSH easily retrieved
7:32- Powerplay. Nice keep. East/west pass almost got picked off, broken play ended in scoring chance.
5:25-nothing of note
2:54- blocked clearing attempt in o-zone, found McCann in middle of ice for nice shot opportunity.
:34- Chipped the puck in leading to possession, cross-ice pass to Schultz for good shot

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Phil Kessel
2nd period:

19:39- Powerplay. Offside as Crosby was carrying the puck in. Pretty uncalled for. Later contributed to zone entry.
Not a Kessel shift but JJ completely f***ed up a beauty of a pass from Sid. Jake and Sid had a 2 on 1 and Kessel and someone else jumped off the bench offside
15:02- Tried getting cute at the NSH blue line and got lit up.
12:26 -Powerplay. Pass comes to him and he immediately turns it over trying to pass it down low. Snap shot from the top of the point was saved. Turned it over in the corner “battling” for possession.
7:50- battled and lost for puck on half wall in ozone. later flew into the zone, shot blocked. Centering pass picked off.
4:05- Nice rush up ice negated by Blueger penalty
1:22- Nothing happened

Reactions: KIRK

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
just glad Maatta proved all his haters wrong and had an excellent game back. Best D on the ice tonite.

The whole second line was a ghost

Simon had a great game along with Bjug.

Schultz sucked

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Bjugstad has the puck quite a bit, holy cow. He has to have good possession numbers, my lord!

Reactions: ncm7772

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Phil Kessel
3rd Period:

18:44- carried it into the zone, curled, turned it over.
15:39- kinda pressured the puck which led to an icing. Shift with Sid/McCann. Obvious chemistry issues. Got caught on an extended shift but somehow ended with a Pit PP. Started the PP. Nothing noteworthy to speak of. Shift ended with him giving it to Hornqvist down low who crashed the crease. No movement throughout PP1. Not a Kessel issue but no good looks anywhere.
11:23- won puck and cycled it. Lazy looping allowed puck to pass him by and exit zone.
7:31- Shift with Sid. o zone hustle that didn’t result in anything.
5:43- double shifted with regular line. Stood in front of the net instead of providing puck support.
3:27- Standing still in NZ. Just gliding around out there.
2:00- Empty net. Spinning cycle pass down low to Bjugstad who wrapped it in. Nothing too complicated from Kessel. Completed a few easy passes plus the nice feed to Bjug. Otherwise not too much happened. Game over.

The main problem with what I see is that there's a lot of "nothing happened". He's just kind of.... there most of the time. And if he's not just there he's turning the puck over. He needs to do more

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
If someone could just check Sully's blood pressure right now to make sure he isn't going to have a stroke after screaming at the refs like that, that would be great.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Phil Kessel
3rd Period:

15:39- kinda pressured the puck which led to an icing. Shift with Sid/McCann. Obvious chemistry issues. Got caught on an extended shift but somehow ended with a Pit PP. Started the PP. Nothing noteworthy to speak of. Shift ended with him giving it to Hornqvist down low how crashed the crease. No movement throughout PP1. Not a Kessel issue but no good looks anywhere.
11:23- won puck and cycled it. Lazy looping allowed puck to pass him by and exit zone.
7:31- Shift with Sid. Zone o zone hustle that didn’t result in anything.
5:43- double shifted with regular line. Stood in front of the net instead of providing puck support.
2:00- Empty net. Spinning cycle pass down low to Bjugstad who wrapped it in. Nothing too complicated from Kessel. Completed a few easy passes plus the nice feed to Bjug. Otherwise not too much happened. Game over.

The main problem with what I see is that there's a lot of "nothing happened". He's just kind of.... there most of the time. And if he's not just there he's turning the puck over. He needs to do more

Thanks @Beauner. Kind of confirms my fears about L2 for the playoffs (even with a healthy Geno and an ideal LW for him AND him and Phil in McCann).

As I said during the GDT, if Phil doens't get his crap together, I'd just run McCann-Geno-Blugs, because it's better than the alternative with THIS Phil.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Phil Kessel
3rd Period:

15:39- kinda pressured the puck which led to an icing. Shift with Sid/McCann. Obvious chemistry issues. Got caught on an extended shift but somehow ended with a Pit PP. Started the PP. Nothing noteworthy to speak of. Shift ended with him giving it to Hornqvist down low who crashed the crease. No movement throughout PP1. Not a Kessel issue but no good looks anywhere.

Can you do the same for Blueger next game?

Reactions: Beauner

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
That breakaway save on Guentzel was huge tonight. At least the pens didn’t get shutout tonight. Huge game on Sunday against the canes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They played a good game. I didn’t expect to win out, I’m just looking for the good habits to continue. I miss Malkin though.

Reactions: BillPrep

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks @Beauner. Kind of confirms my fears about L2 for the playoffs (even with a healthy Geno and an ideal LW for him AND him and Phil in McCann).

As I said during the GDT, if Phil doens't get his crap together, I'd just run McCann-Geno-Blugs, because it's better than the alternative with THIS Phil.
Agreed, I think the only possibly hope is if they run McCann-Malkin-Kessel. The speed from McCann and Malkin's up-tempo playoff style might force Kessel to start moving his feet, which is when good things start to happen for him. His first two strides just look soooo lazy and slow and it takes him forever to get up to speed. If McCann and Malkin can use their speed and go all out, that could force him to keep up

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jordon Binnington, Carter Hart and Pekka Rinne...what do they have in common? Last three home games and they all stoned us ...it’s not the goalie....Pens O was MIA...it’s not just missing G and Letang...we’re not getting deflections, not getting to rebounds, not holding on to pucks and using skill to get the goalies moving or off their angle...it’s the Pens forwards as well as a lack of good shooting D men who make a well placed shot from the point...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Phil Kessel
3rd Period:

that entire line is "nothing happened...the best you can expect is that they don't get scored on

Reactions: Andy99 and Beauner

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As I stated prior to the 3rd, we carried the play. Tip of the hat to Rinne, he played well. That's not to say there aren't things we need to work on. But our effort was good, just not our execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad