NHL Entry Draft: Pre-WJC Mock Draft for December.

newdimension

May 18, 2013
I did the same thing last year -- with a monthly mock draft. As I went on, I added more rounds, included honorable mentions, etc.. I'm not a scout or anything -- just a fan. It's all for fun. Any comparisons or notes made should be taken in jest. Obviously not everyone is going to make it to the NHL, live up to their player comparison or whatever.

Some other notes: the ranking is arranged by the standings as of December 3rd. It's also the post-playoff formula, with division leaders, along with my predicted Conference and Stanley Cup finalists at the bottom. For the East, I'm predicting Tampa over Washington. For the West, I'm going with Nashville beating out a fully-healthy Anaheim after Gibson goes on a hot stretch in the playoffs. For the finals, I have Tampa Bay winning the Cup.

My lottery winners (via 2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon) were: 1. St. Louis; 2. Florida; 3. Los Angeles.

ROUND 1

1. St. Louis: Jack Hughes, C/W
The Blues have been a tire fire this year. Adding an all-out offensive forward like Hughes would be a good step in the right direction for them. It'd also allow them to trade one of their current forwards for help on either defense or in goal.
Comparison: To me, he's a Patrick Kane clone. A shifty, all-out offensive forward that's undersized, but plays with fire.

2. Florida: Kaapo Kakko, RW
We all know they love their Finnish players. With them winning 2nd overall, it'd allow them to take on another high-ranking player who can potentially find chemistry with Barkov.
Comparison: Alexander Radulov. An offensive winger with potential to put up massive amount of points. Also capable of playing center; but will likely be a winger at the pro level.

3. Los Angeles: Kirby Dach, C
He seems to be the consensus #3 now, give or take. I know there are issues with his skating -- and the Kings want more speed upfront, but it'd be too hard to pass him on him. He and Kopitar could make a stellar 1-2 combination in the future.
Comparison: Ryan Getzlaf. He's a big, gritty, pass-first, playmaking center that can put up points

4. Chicago: Alex Turcotte, C
I know they've recently acquired Dylan Strome, but more center depth is probably a good idea to double-down on for the Hawks. I also know he's faced injury issues this season, but I'm not sure if that'll effect his draft stock. Either way, for now, I'll have the Hawks selecting him. Plus he has ties to Chicago/Illinois, making it that much sweeter, especially for a team that likes to go with local talent.
Comparison: Patrice Bergeron is probably his top end, potential-wise. He can be a talented, speedy, smart, two-way center.

5. New Jersey: Dylan Cozens, C/W
With Cozens dropping, it'd be for the Devils's gain. It'd give them a big, goal-scoring forward that can play alongside Taylor Hall and Nico Hischier.
Comparison: Jeff Carter is my comparison for him. A big, scoring center with good speed and ability to put the puck in the net.

6. Philadelphia: Vasili Podkolzin, RW
They already have a few Russians in development and in their roster. They add another one with Pokdkolzin. He has the potential to become a star scoring forward for them and he could be a top line scorer for them on the right side.
Comparison: Vladimir Tarasenko. A crafty, offensive Russian weapon.

7. Vancouver: Bowen Byram, D
The Canucks would take whomever they feel is best on the board. As such, they grab the mobile defenseman who is also a BC boy. It just makes sense, especially when you consider their desire to play a more puck-rushing style.
Comparison: Morgan Rielly. Smart, speedy, puck moving defenseman that can play in various roles and put up offense and keep things steady.

8. Pittsburgh: Peyton Krebs, C/LW
Honestly, I don't know why, but this just feels like a Pens pick to me. He's someone with good speed, tenacity and skill. He has the ability to play center and wing. He's probably not that far off developmental wise, so he could soon slip in and play with Malkin or Crosby.
Comparison: Dylan Larkin. A fantastic, all-around, smart, speedy forward that'll do all the little things to help win games.

9. Arizona: Trevor Zegras, C/LW
It's hard to tell exactly what the Coyotes will do -- especially with their off-the-board drafting of Hayton last year. I think Zegras is going to be climbing and may even have a crack at the top 5 if he keeps his pace up.
Comparison: Mitch Marner. He's a purely skilled forward that's matching Jack Hughes for point production.

10. Detroit: Raphael Lavoie, RW/C
A teammate of Jared McIsaac, a fellow Red Wing prospect, Lavoie fits with the criteria the Wings enjoy drafting with. He has size and skill -- even the potential to play center. They've been going to the Q a lot these past few drafts and might return there. And yes, I know Lavoie may not be what Wings fans want, but I'm going by what the Wings have been doing these past few drafts.
Comparison: At the top of his game, when he's physical, he can be a Corey Perry type of physical goal scorer.

11. Colorado [from Ottawa]: Ryan Suzuki, C
Personally, I think Suzuki has top 10 level of talent. He falls just short though; with the Avs happy to grab him. They would want him (or a talented center) to play behind Nathan MacKinnon and this is what they get.
Comparison: Nicklas Backstrom. To me, he's the type that'll play a quiet, playmaking style of game, putting up a bevy of points and making those around him better.

12. Carolina: Alex Newhook, C/LW
While I'm not 100% sold as him being a center at the pro level, I think the Canes could draft him for that role. If it works out, they have Newhook and Necas down the middle, centering the likes of Aho, Kuznetsov, Teravainen, which could prove to be quite lethal. The BCHL factor will likely keep him out of the top 10, even though he has the talent to go that high.
Comparison: Kyle Connor. I see him as an offensive weapon that can snipe, make plays and bring an energetic game to a top 6.

13. Edmonton: Matthew Boldy, LW
They need some depth on the wings quite badly. Boldy could be the perfect type of complementary player to play alongside McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH.
Comparison: Gabriel Landeskog. He's a power forward that can do the little things to win, including score goals, play physical and seems to be a good on-ice leader.

14. New York Rangers: Arthur Kaliyev, LW
He's tearing up the OHL; but I still see teams passing on him due to some concerns over effort and skating. Think of it similar to how Wahlstrom fell last year. At this slot, it'd be a good pickup for the Rangers, hoping he can be sniper for him.
Comparison: At top end, they'll hope he can become a Tomas Vanek or Brock Boeser type of goal scoring winger.

15. Vegas: Philip Broberg, D
The Golden Knights love speed and size.. which is exactly what Broberg's game is all about. He hasn't looked the same since his standout Hlinka, which drops him down the board... but his game seems perfectly suited for Vegas.
Comparison: I'm not entirely sold on exactly his upside. At top end, I guess he could be a Rasmus Ristolainen type of defenseman. Otherwise, maybe a John Moore type of defenseman that big and incredibly mobile.

16. Montreal: Thomas Harley, D
It wouldn't surprise me if Harley was one of the biggest risers in this draft. The Habs love risers, ie: their choice of Kotkaniemi last year, so it'd be a good fit. They also have a huge, gaping hole on the left side of their defense, which he'd be a good patch for. He's got the size and skill to go far. Like Kotkaniemi, he's one of the youngest players in the draft. With the Habs banking on the future, he might be a nice pick-up for them.
Comparison: Noah Hanifin. He has some work to do in his overall game,

17. New York Islanders: Jakob Pelletier, LW
The French Canadian going one slot after the Habs pick will certainly get people talking. That said, Pelletier's been tearing it up and the Isles like drafting out of the Q. It could be a good match.
Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. An undersized, supremely skilled offensive forward with a lot of spark to his game.

18. Minnesota: Cole Caufield, RW
Despite being woefully undersized, Caufield's a pure goal scoring American with determination. The Wild went way off the board last year. This year, they go within the American ranks, which is where they've often focused on.
Comparison: Alex Debrincat. Undersized sniper that stands 5'7", with an uncanny ability to put the puck in the net.

19. Buffalo [from San Jose]: Victor Soderstrom, D
The quickly stampeding Sabres are able to grab a defenseman that they can potentially play with Rasmus Dahlin in the future. He plays an effective, puck-moving game with potential top 4 upside.
Comparison: Josh Morrissey. A defenseman with below-to-average size that can move the puck along, keep things calm and cerebral and can be a good complement on the ice.

20. Dallas: Connor McMichael, C
Like their selection of Dellandrea last year, they return to the OHL, which is where they often draft out of. They'll hope either Dellandrea or McMichael can play behind Seguin in the lineup as a #2 center; potentially moving one of them to the wing, if need be.
Comparison: Bryan Little. He profiles as a goal scoring, offensive 2nd line center that can do the little things to help win games.

21. Boston: Cam York, D
They love going with Americans. They continue building up their backend, wanting to build an arms race back there. He could be another smart puck moving, offensive defender that they can add to their pile.
Comparison: Keith Yandle. A guy that'll keep things simple, put up many assists and points on a powerplay and gives them a reliable top 2-4 defenseman.

22. Columbus: Mikko Kokkonen, D
Simply a BPA pick. The Jackets blueline is currently quite and make it even stronger by taking Kokkonen, who solidifes their defense.
Comparison: Matt Niskanen. A two-way, mobile, top 4 defender that may not be a "top" guy; but moreso a reliable guy that can log a lot of minutes.

23. Winnipeg: Lassi Thomson, D
If it's one thing the Jets love, it's Americans and Finns. They go back to the Finnish route by selecting Thomson, who comes from the Kelowna defense factory, loving the offense he could potentially bring from the back.
Comparison: Matt Dumba. I could see him being a high-impact defenseman, with the ability to score a lot from the point... while likely giving up a few goals as well.

24. Buffalo: Nils Hoglander, LW
The Sabres love to draft out of Sweden. Not only would it strengthen their left wing depth, but it gives them a pesky, mini-power forward with some offensive game.
Comparison: Brendan Gallagher. Not exactly the tallest, but he plays like one on the ice. He plays with a bundle of energy and can be an offensive contributor.

25. Colorado: Nolan Foote, LW
I know it's cliche to have him drafted by the team that drafted his father. But it could make sense. It'd continue to lock up their forward ranks, giving them a power-scoring-winger to play with.
Comparison: James Neal. Big bodied power winger with good vision, who also knows how to unleash a deadly shot.

26. Toronto: Matthew Robertson, D
They have some mobile defenseman coming up in the ranks. Why not add someone that's a little more stabilizing and plays a more calm, cool game.
Comparison: Hampus Lindholm. Big defenseman that can defend the play, has a big shot and can defend his own zone pretty well.

27. Calgary: Kaedan Korczak, D
He's another stabilizing defender. The Flames currently have a good core of defense; but you really can't go wrong with a guy that's percolating in the Kelowna system.
Comparison: Dion Phaneuf. He can play a solid two-way game on the blueline, hitting and shutting down opponents. He might have some offensive talents as well.

28. Anaheim: Tobias Bjornfot, D
They have an affinity towards Swedes. They also have a need for defensive depth, especially after losing some quality guys these past few years. He can move the puck and keep things simple, which could be a good boost for the Ducks.
Comparison: Ryan Murray. Mobile, effective, two-way defenseman that keeps things simple.

29. Washington: Pavel Dorofeyev, LW/RW
Oh look, another talented Russian forward to the Capitals. We've seen this before. The enigmatic Russian factor is going to scare some teams; but Washington won't be fazed. They'd gladly take him on.
Comparison: Jonathan Huberdeau. A pure skilled, talented, offensive winger.

30. Nashville: Ryan Johnson, D
It wouldn't surprise me if a team liked him enough to grab him in the first round. It also wouldn't surprise me if it's a team such as Nashville, who loves drafting Americans; and especially loves building up strong defense.
Comparison: Shea Theodore. Still raw, he can become a highly mobile defenseman with good puck movement skill.

31. New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay): Moritz Seider, D
If the big German has a good WJC, it could solidify himself as a first round candidate. His pro game will likely revolve around shutting down opponents and moving the puck safely. It'd give the Rangers a big, right handed shutdown guy moving forward.
Comparison: Mattias Ekholm. Huge in size, can keep things simple and calm, along with having a nice shot from the point to keep opposing defense honest.

Top 5 guys just missing the cut:
- Bobby Brink. He's putting up first round number. He could jump into the first if he keeps it up. For now, he's an early 2nd for me. It could definitely change going forward.
- Anttoni Honka. His lack of size and production might scare some teams off. I could see a team taking him on if they really like him. But for me, he's a 2nd right now.
- Spencer Knight. It's rare to see goalies go in the first these days. I think he could very well go in the first, probably to a lottery team that trades for an extra 1st. Right now, there's no real fit. Check again after the deadline.
- Brett Leason. He's putting absolutely dynamic so far. If he can keep it up through the season, he's a first rounder. It's still too early for me to move him in though. Very interesting though -- especially for a bubble team.
- Ville Heinola. He's getting underrated, but he's showing some promise.

Other interesting names to watch: Vladislav Kolyachonok; John Beecher; Albin Grewe; Daniil Gutik; Michal Teply; Patrik Puistola; Antti Tuomisto; Shane Pinto; Artemiy Knyazev.
-

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
For the Habs, I like the possibilities they draft one of: Matthew Robertson, Mikko Kokkonen, Thomas Harley or Cam York.. Perharps Broberg.

If they pick one of those good young left defensemen, I'll be happy.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I hope AVS can choose a good forward with Ottawa pick and with AVS pick LEASON or a good LHD
Jost - Cozens- Leason (good Young 2nd line)
Kokkonen or Robertson

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Nice list. Looks good for NYR. I'd mention that Kallionkieli might also get some 1st round bids. Plays on a line with Brink and they both look solid in their own rights!!

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Don Cherry will LOVE having a Lassi in the league! Same way he loved having former Jets assistant coach Alpo Suhonen in the league....said The Don...."Alpo....sounds like dog food!!" :laugh:

And funny thing is that the Oilers already had winger Pontas Aberg last year and he was fairly productive but they bounced him and he ends up with the Ducks and....of course....leads them in goal scoring! :skeptic:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
very nice list, hard to argue with much of it.

Hawks getting Turcotte would be amazing as he would be that dynamic player we have been lacking outside of Kane..

Knight I think goes in the 1st...there will be teams with multiple 1st round picks and someone will likely go in on this kid. For what it is worth he is the best goalie prospect I have seen since John Gibson, I was confident back then that Gibson would be a lock for the NHL and I feel the same for Knight...will teams miss out on Gibson 2.0 by watching him go to the second round like Gibby did in his draft???

Reactions: Kevin Musto

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
very nice list, hard to argue with much of it.

Hawks getting Turcotte would be amazing as he would be that dynamic player we have been lacking outside of Kane..

Knight I think goes in the 1st...there will be teams with multiple 1st round picks and someone will likely go in on this kid. For what it is worth he is the best goalie prospect I have seen since John Gibson, I was confident back then that Gibson would be a lock for the NHL and I feel the same for Knight...will teams miss out on Gibson 2.0 by watching him go to the second round like Gibby did in his draft???

Good point about Knight. If he has a good WJC showing I could see him going early first.

I can't remember seeing a goalie prospect that has such good poise in net.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I did the same thing last year -- with a monthly mock draft. As I went on, I added more rounds, included honorable mentions, etc.. I'm not a scout or anything -- just a fan. It's all for fun. Any comparisons or notes made should be taken in jest. Obviously not everyone is going to make it to the NHL, live up to their player comparison or whatever.

Some other notes: the ranking is arranged by the standings as of December 3rd. It's also the post-playoff formula, with division leaders, along with my predicted Conference and Stanley Cup finalists at the bottom. For the East, I'm predicting Tampa over Washington. For the West, I'm going with Nashville beating out a fully-healthy Anaheim after Gibson goes on a hot stretch in the playoffs. For the finals, I have Tampa Bay winning the Cup.

My lottery winners (via 2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon) were: 1. St. Louis; 2. Florida; 3. Los Angeles.

ROUND 1

1. St. Louis: Jack Hughes, C/W
The Blues have been a tire fire this year. Adding an all-out offensive forward like Hughes would be a good step in the right direction for them. It'd also allow them to trade one of their current forwards for help on either defense or in goal.
Comparison: To me, he's a Patrick Kane clone. A shifty, all-out offensive forward that's undersized, but plays with fire.

2. Florida: Kaapo Kakko, RW
We all know they love their Finnish players. With them winning 2nd overall, it'd allow them to take on another high-ranking player who can potentially find chemistry with Barkov.
Comparison: Alexander Radulov. An offensive winger with potential to put up massive amount of points. Also capable of playing center; but will likely be a winger at the pro level.

3. Los Angeles: Kirby Dach, C
He seems to be the consensus #3 now, give or take. I know there are issues with his skating -- and the Kings want more speed upfront, but it'd be too hard to pass him on him. He and Kopitar could make a stellar 1-2 combination in the future.
Comparison: Ryan Getzlaf. He's a big, gritty, pass-first, playmaking center that can put up points

4. Chicago: Alex Turcotte, C
I know they've recently acquired Dylan Strome, but more center depth is probably a good idea to double-down on for the Hawks. I also know he's faced injury issues this season, but I'm not sure if that'll effect his draft stock. Either way, for now, I'll have the Hawks selecting him. Plus he has ties to Chicago/Illinois, making it that much sweeter, especially for a team that likes to go with local talent.
Comparison: Patrice Bergeron is probably his top end, potential-wise. He can be a talented, speedy, smart, two-way center.

5. New Jersey: Dylan Cozens, C/W
With Cozens dropping, it'd be for the Devils's gain. It'd give them a big, goal-scoring forward that can play alongside Taylor Hall and Nico Hischier.
Comparison: Jeff Carter is my comparison for him. A big, scoring center with good speed and ability to put the puck in the net.

6. Philadelphia: Vasili Podkolzin, RW
They already have a few Russians in development and in their roster. They add another one with Pokdkolzin. He has the potential to become a star scoring forward for them and he could be a top line scorer for them on the right side.
Comparison: Vladimir Tarasenko. A crafty, offensive Russian weapon.

7. Vancouver: Bowen Byram, D
The Canucks would take whomever they feel is best on the board. As such, they grab the mobile defenseman who is also a BC boy. It just makes sense, especially when you consider their desire to play a more puck-rushing style.
Comparison: Morgan Rielly. Smart, speedy, puck moving defenseman that can play in various roles and put up offense and keep things steady.

8. Pittsburgh: Peyton Krebs, C/LW
Honestly, I don't know why, but this just feels like a Pens pick to me. He's someone with good speed, tenacity and skill. He has the ability to play center and wing. He's probably not that far off developmental wise, so he could soon slip in and play with Malkin or Crosby.
Comparison: Dylan Larkin. A fantastic, all-around, smart, speedy forward that'll do all the little things to help win games.

9. Arizona: Trevor Zegras, C/LW
It's hard to tell exactly what the Coyotes will do -- especially with their off-the-board drafting of Hayton last year. I think Zegras is going to be climbing and may even have a crack at the top 5 if he keeps his pace up.
Comparison: Mitch Marner. He's a purely skilled forward that's matching Jack Hughes for point production.

10. Detroit: Raphael Lavoie, RW/C
A teammate of Jared McIsaac, a fellow Red Wing prospect, Lavoie fits with the criteria the Wings enjoy drafting with. He has size and skill -- even the potential to play center. They've been going to the Q a lot these past few drafts and might return there. And yes, I know Lavoie may not be what Wings fans want, but I'm going by what the Wings have been doing these past few drafts.
Comparison: At the top of his game, when he's physical, he can be a Corey Perry type of physical goal scorer.

11. Colorado [from Ottawa]: Ryan Suzuki, C
Personally, I think Suzuki has top 10 level of talent. He falls just short though; with the Avs happy to grab him. They would want him (or a talented center) to play behind Nathan MacKinnon and this is what they get.
Comparison: Nicklas Backstrom. To me, he's the type that'll play a quiet, playmaking style of game, putting up a bevy of points and making those around him better.

12. Carolina: Alex Newhook, C/LW
While I'm not 100% sold as him being a center at the pro level, I think the Canes could draft him for that role. If it works out, they have Newhook and Necas down the middle, centering the likes of Aho, Kuznetsov, Teravainen, which could prove to be quite lethal. The BCHL factor will likely keep him out of the top 10, even though he has the talent to go that high.
Comparison: Kyle Connor. I see him as an offensive weapon that can snipe, make plays and bring an energetic game to a top 6.

13. Edmonton: Matthew Boldy, LW
They need some depth on the wings quite badly. Boldy could be the perfect type of complementary player to play alongside McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH.
Comparison: Gabriel Landeskog. He's a power forward that can do the little things to win, including score goals, play physical and seems to be a good on-ice leader.

14. New York Rangers: Arthur Kaliyev, LW
He's tearing up the OHL; but I still see teams passing on him due to some concerns over effort and skating. Think of it similar to how Wahlstrom fell last year. At this slot, it'd be a good pickup for the Rangers, hoping he can be sniper for him.
Comparison: At top end, they'll hope he can become a Tomas Vanek or Brock Boeser type of goal scoring winger.

15. Vegas: Philip Broberg, D
The Golden Knights love speed and size.. which is exactly what Broberg's game is all about. He hasn't looked the same since his standout Hlinka, which drops him down the board... but his game seems perfectly suited for Vegas.
Comparison: I'm not entirely sold on exactly his upside. At top end, I guess he could be a Rasmus Ristolainen type of defenseman. Otherwise, maybe a John Moore type of defenseman that big and incredibly mobile.

16. Montreal: Thomas Harley, D
It wouldn't surprise me if Harley was one of the biggest risers in this draft. The Habs love risers, ie: their choice of Kotkaniemi last year, so it'd be a good fit. They also have a huge, gaping hole on the left side of their defense, which he'd be a good patch for. He's got the size and skill to go far. Like Kotkaniemi, he's one of the youngest players in the draft. With the Habs banking on the future, he might be a nice pick-up for them.
Comparison: Noah Hanifin. He has some work to do in his overall game,

17. New York Islanders: Jakob Pelletier, LW
The French Canadian going one slot after the Habs pick will certainly get people talking. That said, Pelletier's been tearing it up and the Isles like drafting out of the Q. It could be a good match.
Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. An undersized, supremely skilled offensive forward with a lot of spark to his game.

18. Minnesota: Cole Caufield, RW
Despite being woefully undersized, Caufield's a pure goal scoring American with determination. The Wild went way off the board last year. This year, they go within the American ranks, which is where they've often focused on.
Comparison: Alex Debrincat. Undersized sniper that stands 5'7", with an uncanny ability to put the puck in the net.

19. Buffalo [from San Jose]: Victor Soderstrom, D
The quickly stampeding Sabres are able to grab a defenseman that they can potentially play with Rasmus Dahlin in the future. He plays an effective, puck-moving game with potential top 4 upside.
Comparison: Josh Morrissey. A defenseman with below-to-average size that can move the puck along, keep things calm and cerebral and can be a good complement on the ice.

20. Dallas: Connor McMichael, C
Like their selection of Dellandrea last year, they return to the OHL, which is where they often draft out of. They'll hope either Dellandrea or McMichael can play behind Seguin in the lineup as a #2 center; potentially moving one of them to the wing, if need be.
Comparison: Bryan Little. He profiles as a goal scoring, offensive 2nd line center that can do the little things to help win games.

21. Boston: Cam York, D
They love going with Americans. They continue building up their backend, wanting to build an arms race back there. He could be another smart puck moving, offensive defender that they can add to their pile.
Comparison: Keith Yandle. A guy that'll keep things simple, put up many assists and points on a powerplay and gives them a reliable top 2-4 defenseman.

22. Columbus: Mikko Kokkonen, D
Simply a BPA pick. The Jackets blueline is currently quite and make it even stronger by taking Kokkonen, who solidifes their defense.
Comparison: Matt Niskanen. A two-way, mobile, top 4 defender that may not be a "top" guy; but moreso a reliable guy that can log a lot of minutes.

23. Winnipeg: Lassi Thomson, D
If it's one thing the Jets love, it's Americans and Finns. They go back to the Finnish route by selecting Thomson, who comes from the Kelowna defense factory, loving the offense he could potentially bring from the back.
Comparison: Matt Dumba. I could see him being a high-impact defenseman, with the ability to score a lot from the point... while likely giving up a few goals as well.

24. Buffalo: Nils Hoglander, LW
The Sabres love to draft out of Sweden. Not only would it strengthen their left wing depth, but it gives them a pesky, mini-power forward with some offensive game.
Comparison: Brendan Gallagher. Not exactly the tallest, but he plays like one on the ice. He plays with a bundle of energy and can be an offensive contributor.

25. Colorado: Nolan Foote, LW
I know it's cliche to have him drafted by the team that drafted his father. But it could make sense. It'd continue to lock up their forward ranks, giving them a power-scoring-winger to play with.
Comparison: James Neal. Big bodied power winger with good vision, who also knows how to unleash a deadly shot.

26. Toronto: Matthew Robertson, D
They have some mobile defenseman coming up in the ranks. Why not add someone that's a little more stabilizing and plays a more calm, cool game.
Comparison: Hampus Lindholm. Big defenseman that can defend the play, has a big shot and can defend his own zone pretty well.

27. Calgary: Kaedan Korczak, D
He's another stabilizing defender. The Flames currently have a good core of defense; but you really can't go wrong with a guy that's percolating in the Kelowna system.
Comparison: Dion Phaneuf. He can play a solid two-way game on the blueline, hitting and shutting down opponents. He might have some offensive talents as well.

28. Anaheim: Tobias Bjornfot, D
They have an affinity towards Swedes. They also have a need for defensive depth, especially after losing some quality guys these past few years. He can move the puck and keep things simple, which could be a good boost for the Ducks.
Comparison: Ryan Murray. Mobile, effective, two-way defenseman that keeps things simple.

29. Washington: Pavel Dorofeyev, LW/RW
Oh look, another talented Russian forward to the Capitals. We've seen this before. The enigmatic Russian factor is going to scare some teams; but Washington won't be fazed. They'd gladly take him on.
Comparison: Jonathan Huberdeau. A pure skilled, talented, offensive winger.

30. Nashville: Ryan Johnson, D
It wouldn't surprise me if a team liked him enough to grab him in the first round. It also wouldn't surprise me if it's a team such as Nashville, who loves drafting Americans; and especially loves building up strong defense.
Comparison: Shea Theodore. Still raw, he can become a highly mobile defenseman with good puck movement skill.

31. New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay): Moritz Seider, D
If the big German has a good WJC, it could solidify himself as a first round candidate. His pro game will likely revolve around shutting down opponents and moving the puck safely. It'd give the Rangers a big, right handed shutdown guy moving forward.
Comparison: Mattias Ekholm. Huge in size, can keep things simple and calm, along with having a nice shot from the point to keep opposing defense honest.

Top 5 guys just missing the cut:
- Bobby Brink. He's putting up first round number. He could jump into the first if he keeps it up. For now, he's an early 2nd for me. It could definitely change going forward.
- Anttoni Honka. His lack of size and production might scare some teams off. I could see a team taking him on if they really like him. But for me, he's a 2nd right now.
- Spencer Knight. It's rare to see goalies go in the first these days. I think he could very well go in the first, probably to a lottery team that trades for an extra 1st. Right now, there's no real fit. Check again after the deadline.
- Brett Leason. He's putting absolutely dynamic so far. If he can keep it up through the season, he's a first rounder. It's still too early for me to move him in though. Very interesting though -- especially for a bubble team.
- Ville Heinola. He's getting underrated, but he's showing some promise.

Other interesting names to watch: Vladislav Kolyachonok; John Beecher; Albin Grewe; Daniil Gutik; Michal Teply; Patrik Puistola; Antti Tuomisto; Shane Pinto; Artemiy Knyazev.
-
Great Job, this is an incredible undertaking, and I think you did a fantastic job.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Great job on the selections.

AVs choices are about right, but they'll be looking at Forward and DMan in their selections:

10th - Newhook or Kaliyev
26th - Robertson (LHD draft steal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad