NHL Entry Draft: Pre-WJC Mock Draft 1.0

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Every year I do my own monthly mock draft, eventually all the way up towards 7 rounds. It's all for fun -- I'm not a scout, or an authority on any players and I obviously can't see every player -- it'd be impossible to do so. I just like to keep track of prospects, development, what people are saying and so on.

I usually start off my drafts pre-WJC, so here it is for December.

As always, my drafts are in post-playoff format. The rankings are as of December 1st, 2019. I have Boston and Washington fighting for the Eastern Conference Championship, with Boston coming out on top. For the West, I have St. Louis and Dallas duking it out, with the Blues coming out as the victors. We then have a rematch of last year's finals with roles reversed, with my prediction of the Bruins sending Zdeno Chara out as champion, winning the Cup.

(And I'm a Habs fan, so it was hard to write that. :P)

Oh yeah, as for lottery, I ran the tankathon simulator and got:
1. Columbus;
2. Los Angeles;
3. New Jersey

Round 1

1. Columbus: Alexis Lafreniere, LW
If they win the lottery, they'd be absolutely thrilled to take Lafreniere, who as of now, is thought of as the #1 overall guy. Byfield's going to push him, but Lafreniere's been one hell of a force, like a horse on skates. A top line featuring PL Dubois and Lafreniere could mow down the competition and make it extremely difficult for opposing defensive units to guard against.
Comparison: To me, he's kind of like a mixture of John Tavares and Jamie Benn. He's a guy that can muck it out in corners, behind the net and work hard to create offense down low. Not only can he make plays and score, but he's got an impressive physical package and can also add a two-way element.

2. Los Angeles: Quinton Byfield, C
The Kings desperately need talent up front. Byfield gives them hope for the future. Their best bet would be to have Kopitar mentor him and guide him along, which should allow Byfield and his powerful frame to develop quickly.
Comparison: Evgeni Malkin. With his combination of size, power and skill, he's sort of like a Malkin. He's the type of top line center with size that every team craves and should be a force for the future.

3. New Jersey: Lucas Raymond, RW/LW
He's an elite playmaker and offensive creator. There's been a lot of drama around him not producing, mainly because of his lack of playing team overseas, with his coach giving him few minutes. Nonetheless, they're going to need an elite offensive talent if they're intent on trading Taylor Hall. He, along with Jack Hughes, gives them some major offensive skill for the future.
Comparison: Artemi Panarin. He knows how to create plays, owns a lethal wrist shot and is a pure offensive producer.

4. Detroit: Yaroslav Askarov, G
Hear me out. First off, yes, he's that good. He's a future Vezina Trophy nominee candidate, in my opinion. Steve Yzerman loves his Russians and he showed last year with his selection of Moritz Seider that he thinks outside the box. Likewise, it showed that he intends on building from the back-on-out. Askarov has elite potential and it wouldn't surprise me if he's high on their list.
Comparison: Tuukka Rask. He's got the reflexive skill and size to steal games, contend for Vezinas and can carry a team on his back to win games.

5. Ottawa: Anton Lundell, C
The Sens would love to add a potential top line center. Lundell could definitely be that guy, as long as his development continues. He isn't a flashy guy; but that's okay, he gets the job done in every zone.
Comparison: Anze Kopitar. He's the type of non-flashy, two-way center that keeps things calm and simple, quietly putting points on the board as a top line center that can work PP and PK duties.

6. Chicago: Cole Perfetti, LW/C
Echoing their selection of Kirby Dach last year, they target a player that people seem to think is falling, but they still hold in high regard. This year, their powerplay has been failing them. Taking a guy such as Perfetti, who is a pure offensive player with high hockey IQ, could help fix that.
Comparison: To me, he's a mixture of Jeff Skinner and Jake Guentzel. Think of him as a top line winger that creates offense likes a wizard, along with a knack for scoring goals (see: the Skinner comparison). If he can ever work on his skating and consistency, he may even be a Nikita Kucherov-type of scoring winger.

7. Anaheim: Alexander Holtz, RW
The Ducks tend to love their Swedes. He's considered the best pure goal scorer in the draft, with the Ducks adding him to shore up their winger depth. He's a guy that'll put pucks in the net for them to play with some of their other players.
Comparison: Filip Forsberg. He's not a speedster, he's a goal-scoring winger with the ability to unload packs on the net.

8. Minnesota: Tim Stutzle, LW/C
The German sensation could land himself even higher by the time the draft comes around. The Wild need offensive firepower and he'd add exactly that. Even though he's been playing wing, he's also capable of playing center, which would be an added bonus for them.
Comparison: Mitch Marner. He's an electric offensive talent with excellent speed, playmaking and skill.

9. Tampa Bay: Dylan Holloway, LW/C
They seem to have become completely unwound after their first round exit. For now, they find themselves in the bottom 10, where they can grab a power forward with the potential to be a playoff warrior. That said, they'll probably rise throughout the year and get back into playoff contention, but we'll go with what we have for now.
Comparison: Pierre-Luc Dubois. He's a powerful forward that can play center or wing, set up linemates and goes hard to the net. He probably makes a hard rise into the top 10, especially if he continues his rate of play.

10. Montreal: Jamie Drysdale, D
While they have a pressing need for left handed defenders, the right handed Drysdale would be another coup for them. He's got elite potential as a puck mover and would give Montreal much needed depth from the point. If he's still even on the board, it'd be miraculous for them.
Comparison: Kris Letang. He's not a huge defenseman, he's a blueliner that gets by on his elite level skating and smarts.

11. Nashville: Marco Rossi, C/LW
The Predators are not known to draft often out of the OHL. However, if Rossi's still on the board, they've got to go and get him. He's putting up the 2nd best PPG before Lafreniere in the CHL and could be an elite offensive contributor.
Comparison: To me, he's sort of similar to Brad Marchand... just without some of the agitative qualities. Maybe a mixture of Brad Marchand and Claude Giroux, to be more succinct. He's not a great skater, but works extremely hard, disrupts play and is offensive creator.

12. Buffalo: Connor Zary, C
Last year, they broke the trend of avoiding CHL players by taking Dylan Cozens. I think they could return to that by taking Zary, who's probably an NHL-ready center with excellent two-way poise. Zary would make a good fit behind Jack Eichel in their lineup, especially as the Sabres hope to keep building through the draft.
Comparison: Brayden Schenn. He's a responsible two-way center, on-ice leader with great versatility and smarts.

13. New York Rangers: Jan Mysak, LW/C
The Rangers would be looking to walk out with a forward that's capable of playing center. Mysak's played both center and wing throughout the season, proving to be quite capable at playing both. They love Europeans, with Mysak seemingly being a perfect fit for them.
Comparison: Martin Necas. He's putting up similar numbers to Necas in his Necas's draft year. He's a similar type of smart offensive forward that can make plays and score.

14. Calgary: Noel Gunler, RW
Their scoring has kind of run dry so far this year, drafting him could help remedy that. They've also got some other Swedes on their roster, making him a nice fit. He's one of the more underrated players in the draft, with top 10 level of skill.
Comparison: Alex Radulov. Not a great skater, he knows where to go and how to position himself to be a goal scorer with good sticklhandling and moves.

15. Vegas: Rodion Amirov, LW
The Vegas strategy is to usually grab whomever is best on the board and groom him to become a roster player. They maintain that position by drafting Amirov, who's looked good in competition throughout the year. He has potential to be a top 6 winger that plays in all situations, making him quite a viable selection.
Comparison: Elias Lindholm. He's a winger that'll work the corners, bring some offensive skill and works well as a completementary piece on an offensive lineup.

16. Carolina [from Toronto]: Hendrix Lapierre, C
For me, Lapierre's trending downward and is close to dipping out of my top 31. However, a team that owns 2 first rounders, ala Carolina, could take the chance on him, especially if they want to add some center depth. If he can come back from his latest concussion and rip it up, he could rise higher... or he could continue to fall throughout the season, where a team could grab a potential 2nd round steal. For now, though, I'll have the Hurricanes keep taking some high-upside players.
Comparison: He's probably something of a David Krejci type of center; or a Josh Bailey type, if he can't become a full-time centerman. Basically, he's a playmaking forward that keeps things simple and safe, fights hard for pucks and is more known for a high assist total than scoring.

17. Tampa Bay [from Vancouver]: Dawson Mercer, RW
Tampa normally loves drafting from the Q. Mercer's been a solid goal-scoring threat all season long. He's also capable of playing center and bringing an all-around game. He could be the type of player the Bolts love.
Comparison: Thomas Hertl. He scores, he makes plays, has a two-way element and does a whole lot of things to help win games, all while playing the wing or at center. He's likely a winger at pro level, though, using his high motor to help him compete.

18. Ottawa [from San Jose]: Mavrik Bourque, C
The Sens are another team that loves drafting speedy players from the Q. They also take another center, making sure to give them ample depth down the middle for the future.
Comparison: At top end, he can be a Brayden Point-like type of undersized, two-way scoring threat. Maybe he's more of an Anthony Beauvillier-like player that's more of a depth scorer.

19. Florida: Thomas Bordeleau, C/LW
He could be a riser throughout the season. The fact that he can play center is also another dealmaker. The Panthers would like to add depth down the middle and his ability to be an offensive playmaker could be a factor in selecting him. He could also be moved to the wing, giving them plenty of options in moving forward.
Comparison: Clayton Keller. He's an undersized, yet offensively inclined playmaking forward with good skill.

20. Pittsburgh: Jeremie Poirier, D
These past few years have seen the Penguins draft heavily from the QMJHL. At this point, Poirier would be the best player available. He's got a high ceiling, yet comes with some asterisks, especially with his play in his own end. That said, he could be this year's Thomas Harley.
Comparison: Kevin Shattenkirk. He's a pure offensive defenseman with some defensive deficiencies. If he can ever work on that, he might have upside as a Roman Josi or Thomas Chabot-level of defenseman.

21. Carolina: Jake Sanderson, D
They've traded away their share of younger defensemen these past few years. History says they like to keep a strong defensive unit, so they could think about taking Sanderson, who's looked promising. He's got good size, pedigree and strong skating skills, which matches what they tend to like in their defensemen.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin. To me, he's kind of similar to their own Jaccob Slavin. He isn't a "high end" type of defenseman... but does a whole lot of things right, while keeping his game simple, all while providing excellent skating. At bottom end, he's probably a Calvin de Haan type of defenseman.

22. Winnipeg: Topi Niemela, D
They have a history of liking Finnish players. Niemela could very well be this year's version of Ville Heinola, making a late rise into the first round. They're in desperate need of right shooting defenseman. He'd fit the bill.
Comparison: Nate Schmidt. He's a guy that could keep things safe and simple. He moves the puck along with ease, makes safe plays and can work a powerplay.

23. Arizona: William Wallinder, D
They'd also probably like to add a defenseman in order to maintain depth back there. I think Wallinder is going to be a top 15 talent by the time the year is done and could have a similar rise that Moritz Seider had last year. For now, though, I'll have him in the 20's, with the Coyotes happily taking him at this point. Check back in a few months and I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken way higher.
Comparison: Dougie Hamilton. Blessed with excellent size, skating mobility and offensive ability, he could become a big offensive defenseman that a lot of teams covet.

24. Colorado: Jacob Perreault, LW/RW
I could see the Avalanche very interested in adding a pure sniper such as Perreault. He had a slower start to the season, but has come around quite nicely as of late. If he keeps his current pac up, he could definitely jump further up in the draft.
Comparison: Brock Boeser. He isn't a speedster. Instead, he relies on goal scoring and offensive instincts to get the job done.

25. Philadelphia: Justin Barron, D
Normally, the Flyers target skill in the first round. However, if Barron's still on the board, they'd find it hard to pass on him. The numbers just haven't been there for Barron this year and he hasn't lived up to expectations, resulting in him dropping. If he can turn his season around after the World Juniors, he could see a jump. Right now, he's in my mid-to-late 20's, with the Flyers grabbing him, partnering him up with Cam York for the future.
Comparison: Brady Skjei. He's a big, heavy defenseman with excellent mobility. His offense hasn't translated this year, which is concerning, making teams wonder if he's only a mid-to-bottom pairing defender.

26. New York Islanders: Ty Smilanic, LW/C
He seems like the type of player that Lou Lamoriello and company would like. He seems like he'd fit well within a system such as Trotz's. The Islanders could mould him into a middle six forward that can be shifted around, even playing down the middle.
Comparison: At top end, he could become a JT Miller type. He's maybe moreso a Jack Roslovic type. A guy that works hard, contributes in various ways and can add some offense thanks to his blazing speed.

27. Edmonton: Tyson Foerster, RW
With his current pace of play, he's making a solid case to go in the first round. A team such as Edmonton seems right up his alley, giving them even more depth on the wing. They like drafting from the OHL and with his rise, he'd be a solid pickup.
Comparison: James Neal. He's a scoring forward with a wicked wrister. He needs to work on his skating and speed, but there's plenty to like in his game.

28. Dallas: Kasper Simontaival, RW
They've got a good history of selecting Finns, which they draw back to. Simontaival may not be big, but he brings plenty of offensive skill as both a playmaker and a goal scorer. He'd give them more firepower and depth up front.
Comparison: Evgenii Dadonov. Smaller in stature -- even smaller that Dadonov, he's got plenty of puck skill. That same height issue could be a concern in regards to his health, with his potential offense over-riding any concerns.

29. Washington: Zion Nybeck, RW
If Nybeck's still there, it'd be hard to see the Capitals pass on him. The only thing that keeps him from going higher is his lack of size. He plays like a puck-hound, constantly working hard and battling hard to put up points.
Comparison: Travis Konecny. He's a hard-working, competitive, yet very undersized forward that plays hard every night and always comes to battle and play.

30. St. Louis: Antonio Stranges, LW
He's an enigmatic player that skates a 10-2 style, while bringing a heady style of offensive skill. His drawback is consistency and concerns over what his pure upside is. He could go higher in the draft; or he could drop into the 2nd round. The Blues would gleefully take him in this range.
Comparison: He's a Pavel Buchnevich, Jonathan Drouin or Joshua Ho-Sang type. Similar to Buchnevich, Stranges has electrifying skill and offensive ability... but might come with some issues and deficiencies that might make it troublesome for his skill to translate.

31. Boston: Jean-Luc Foudy, C
There's a multitude of ways they could use this pick. They could go for Foudy, aiming for overall upside, also bringing some depth down the middle, hoping to make-up for passing over Mathew Barzal.
Comparison: It's honestly hard to hone down, to be honest. His upside, if he can ever put it all together, is a Mathew Barzal type of playmaking center with high assist total and lower goals scored. Or maybe he's a Scott Gomez type. He's a pure speedster that's adept at carrying the puck... but can it translate?

Barely missing the cut: Carter Savoie; Braden Schneider; Jaromir Pytlik; Emil Andrae; Jack Quinn; Lukas Reichel; JJ Peterka; Jake Neighbours; Lukas Cormier; Daniil Guschin.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
Man, great job on this. I don’t know why Barron droped lately (not a good season as of now but nonetheless he is a good player). Would be ok with me as a habs fan.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I think the Sens should really be going after an electric type player than taking a safe solid player. They have a bunch of those kind of players down the middle. They should be looking at Tim Stutzle if they are in the 4th overall position. They need that spark of a player and could get a safer pick with their other picks if they want.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
is there really not any top end defensemen this year? Guess the devils would pick a LW to step in for halls departure then.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
One of my favourite parts of new draft classes are hearing about the crazy names that I've never heard before lol

As for the list, a pretty good job. Watching Drysdale play this year and last, I would not be too disappointed to see Montreal snag him. Great young player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->