Pre-trade deadline: Rank the Rangers Assets

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Was thinking after Kravtsov’s first few games, it would be very difficult to rank the Rangers 2018 first round picks. At this point you could really make the case for any order. Similarly prior to this year, Lafreniere was probably our most valuable asset, but Fox at 23 being in the norris conversation and arguably the best defenseman in the entire league may have surpassed him. There are similarly interesting debates between all the talent we’ve accumulated. Where would Mika rank with 1 year left after this? How high up is Lindgren? What about Igor?

So... with the trade deadline approaching, curious how people would rank our assets: current players, prospects, as well as even 2021 draft picks. Take age, contract, position, potential, trade value, etc into account. Example, if there was an expansion draft with everyone eligible and you could only protect one player, who would it be? What if you could protect 2? Etc. Here’s an example from the athletic from across the league NHL trade value rankings: The 50 most valuable assets in hockey. Here’s my top 20 (and bottom 3) for the rangers. Flame away

Fox
Laf
Kakko
Panarin
Mika
Miller
Lundqvist
Kravtzov
Igor
Chytil
Lindgren
Schneider
2021 first rounder
Buch
Strome
Zac Jones
Robertson
Georgiev
Barron
Gauthier

Bottom 3 - negative value (IMO we’d have to take on salary or add to in order to trade)
DeAngelo
Trouba
Kreider

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Was thinking after Kravtsov’s first few games, it would be very difficult to rank the Rangers 2018 first round picks. At this point you could really make the case for any order. Similarly prior to this year, Lafreniere was probably our most valuable asset, but Fox at 23 being in the norris conversation and arguably the best defenseman in the entire league may have surpassed him. There are similarly interesting debates between all the talent we’ve accumulated. Where would Mika rank with 1 year left after this? How high up is Lindgren? What about Igor?

So... with the trade deadline approaching, curious how people would rank our assets: current players, prospects, as well as even 2021 draft picks. Take age, contract, position, potential, trade value, etc into account. Example, if there was an expansion draft with everyone eligible and you could only protect one player, who would it be? What if you could protect 2? Etc. Here’s an example from the athletic from across the league NHL trade value rankings: The 50 most valuable assets in hockey. Here’s my top 20 (and bottom 3) for the rangers. Flame away

Fox
Laf
Kakko
Panarin
Mika
Miller
Lundqvist
Kravtzov
Igor
Chytil
Lindgren
Schneider
2021 first rounder
Buch
Strome
Zac Jones
Robertson
Georgiev
Barron
Gauthier

Bottom 3 - negative value (IMO we’d have to take on salary or add to in order to trade)
DeAngelo
Trouba
Kreider

1. good thread idea
2. good list, generally

what I'd change to that ranking....
Kreider is not the anchor Trouba is. he still has and commands value.
So
he is off the bottom 3
like you said taking into account wide range of factors,
I move Gauthier up to after Schneider [G has potential but has not been properly played].
I put Kreider right after Gauthier
If it doesn't violate OP rules, I would then list 2022 1st [a better yr]
then the list as you have it w/2021 1st ahead of Geo.

Not sure I would not rather have Barron instead of most 2021 1sts, but I'll defer to you on this for now.

We need to see more of Krav and the ranking is reasonable as of today,
but
near future
Zib will hopefully only do 3-4 yrs at 9/8.5 per
while that is our limit to extending and keeping his age doable,
at that pt is a signif $ increase on top of what is 5+ short of 6 he is getting now

that with projection he will slowly slow down slightly w/age
in the near future Krav jumps up and Mika slides a bit

for today, the overall seems close to spot as, except as noted.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Pretty good list. From Miller to Schneider I think its hard to rank the assets. The 2021 1. rounder should isolated by itself atleast be below Buch. A 25/26 year old winger scoring at a 73 point pace and playing in all situations should be worth more then a mid 1. round pick even as a upcoming RFA. Strome as a 27 year old centre on a very good contract for his production this playoff and all next season should give more then 1 middle 1. round pick.

Even Zac Jones and Robertson you could argue have had so good progress that they would argueably be more worth then the average mid to late 1. round pick.

Regarding the negative value guys, I'm not sure they got negative value at all.

ADA got close to 0 value, but his cheap buyout might give a small value at this TDL. He is a gamble for a buying team, but at worst case scenario he could be bought out after the season for almost no cost. Giving a 3. to NYR for a possible bonafide top 4RD is a gamble a team going for it this year should do IMO.

Kreider and Trouba got their NMC's and both contracts are a bit rich, but I can see scenarios for both where teams would like to have them. Kreider would be great for a team going for it the next 2-4 years then knowing his contract will get ugly at the end. He is scoring at a 30+ goal pace this year. Trouba's contract is a bit rich for a number 3 d-man, but its lenght cover all his prime years, and it should keep or even improving its value over the span of it. In a way Trouba and his contract is at the correct place. Anchoring the 2. pair on a young team planning to contend for a long time in the upcoming years. After covid crashing the cap growth, NYR lucking into 2 lottery picks and all 3 of Fox, Lundkvist, Schneider all really progressing good he is taking up some salary we could use in other spots in a few years, but for the time being he got a spot on NYR where he fits. But when his NMC is over and one of Lundkvist/Schneider is ready for the 2. paring RD I believe he is on his way out. Thankfully his NMC becomes a NTC at the same time Lundkvist/Schneider's ELC is over, and hopefully the cap is going up again in the summer of 2024 giving NYR a bigger market for Trouba. If he keep up his current play until then he should atleast gather the same as Skjei did in a trade.

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
Here's my ranking of the current roster:

Fox (unfortunately he's undervalued by most people)
Shesterkin (I think goalies generally have more value than skaters)

Lafrenière (he will eventually succeed, he just needs some more time to develop)
Panarin (I see him as a top 5 forward in the league, the only 'concern' which slightly lowers his value is his age)

Kakko (shows enough promise to justify his value)
Miller (he doesn't look like a rookie at all)
Chytil (young centers carry tremendous value)
Zibanejad (after last years success his season is a bit underwhelming, he's still a great forward though; however, he's going to get paid in 2022 which lowers his value a bit)
Buchnevich (versatile forward who really picked up his game; I expect a decent raise after this season)

Kravtsov (shows promise, but teams are buying potential / hope that he eventually develop into regular top 6 forward which might not be the case)
Trouba (his contract doesn't look great right now, but he's still a good defenseman and I think there would still be interest in him, if he was available / if it was able to move him)
Strome (I have to admit that he really proved me wrong thus far; he showed that he can be a solid #2 center)
Lindgren (as for most defensive defenseman in hockey, he doesn't get the right amount of recognition from people who don't watch the Rangers on a regular basis)
Kreider (decent player but very heavy contract)
2021 1st (I think it's going to be very difficult to judge talents properly because of the shortened seasons everywhere, so this year's draft picks are more likely lottery balls than in any other draft year)

Georgiev (it's difficult to estimate what the market looks like for him right now)
Gauthier (shows potential, so there are always some teams who will give him a shot, but he needs to contribute more during his shifts in order to generate more value)
Howden (probably carries more value than he should; I think it's still possible to get a decent return for him)
Blackwell (really solid forward who might have his career year)
Hájek (teams are always in the market for young defenseman, aren't they?)

Smith (solid and versatile player who adds depth to nearly every team, the cap hit is a bit too high though)
Rooney (solid centerman, his faceoff percentage is a bit rough)
DiGiuseppe (another solid forward who takes too many low quality shots)

DeAngelo (he'll be bought out)

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
1. Fox
2. Lafreniere
3. Panarin
4. Shesterkin
5. Kakko
6. Zibanejad
7. Buchnevich
8. Chytil
9. Lundkvist
10. Miller
11. Kravtsov
12. Strome
13. Lindgren
14. Schneider
15. 2021 1st
16. Jones
17. Blackwell
18. Barron
19. Gauthier
20. Kinkaid
21. Howden
22. Rooney
23. Kreider
24. Georgiev
25. Smith
26. Trouba

Reactions: Anthony5967

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
If it doesn't violate OP rules, I would then list 2022 1st [a better yr]
Agreed on 2022 draft being better, but wanted to limit it to 2021 as it’s more projectable:
(1) our draft position is unfortunately like 90% chance we miss the playoffs don’t win the lottery, and pick between like 10-16
(2) players who will be available are more easy to predict
(3) it’s more likely to be traded in a package for someone like Eichel this summer

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Agreed on 2022 draft being better, but wanted to limit it to 2021 as it’s more projectable:
(1) our draft position is unfortunately like 90% chance we miss the playoffs don’t win the lottery, and pick between like 10-16
(2) players who will be available are more easy to predict
(3) it’s more likely to be traded in a package for someone like Eichel this summer
general agree
1 + 2 above appear if not are true
Howev, that is not the pt.
The pt is that while we still need to add yet more prospect level depth esp since our core is starting to graduate,
do we consider a draft pick nxt yr in deeper draft selecting better players [even if after your reasonable estimate of a 10-16 projection] to be better strategy? Obv we don't know but in our current situation/depth, I'd rather have the better player [regardless of draft slotting, and assuming like 25OA in 2022 > that 10-16OA in 2021].

As to #3, I hope we do not fall into the Eichel trap.
1...We are taking on structural cap headache w/another big # and that does not change unless/until Trouba can be moved.
2... Do not want to move our bluest blue chips.
If #1 was not an impediment, and Barron came up and looked good on cup o coffee, then maybe Barron + Strome + Buch + 2021 pick.
But again, you are locking yourself into a # you can't move. Want no part of that. Would only relent there if Trouba were going the other way, and that is def not happening. Would have to be JT agrees to go home to FL to be with his woman whose career is there, and there is a 3 way, w/a FL team taking on Trouba, assets to BUF, Eichel to Rangers.

STILL prefer the picks.
Also, need to be ready, outside chance Barkov does not extend. Again, I said outside.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
1. Fox
2. Lafreniere
3. Panarin
4. Shesterkin
5. Kakko
6. Miller
7. Mika
8. Chytil
9. Lundkvist
10.Krav
11. Lindgren
12. Buchy
13.Jones
14. Schneider
15. Strome
16. 2021 1st
17. Blackwell
18. Barron
19. Gauthier
20. Kinkaid
21. Smith
22. Rooney
23. Kreider
24. Georgiev
25. Howden
26. Trouba

I know I have miller pretty high up, and yes, he does make some mistakes here and there, but he plays SO well that I usually forget he's a ROOKIE. I'd wager most of us have pretty similar standings. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I almost (almost) moved Smith high only because he can play forward or D. Kinkaid is a tough one too. Having a semi-veteran keeper isn't such a bad thing. He's looked good and seems like a pleasant-enough human. Buch has looked better, but I could see him bringing back some goodies. 14 and up are my untouchables with the exception being Buch. I'm glad I'm not a gm. This is tough! Barron is another I'd really like to see at the NHL level before anything, but he's also sort of on the "no touch" list.​

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I get that people don’t like Trouba or his contract, but people really should remember we managed to trade Brady Skjei, who was at the time of the trade a net negative value, both offensively and defensively.
Trouba might not be putting up 50 points like we’d hoped at the time of the trade, but his defense is far ahead of skjei’s.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
I get that people don’t like Trouba or his contract, but people really should remember we managed to trade Brady Skjei, who was at the time of the trade a net negative value, both offensively and defensively.
Trouba might not be putting up 50 points like we’d hoped at the time of the trade, but his defense is far ahead of skjei’s.
Yeah that contract may be movable. He's definitely slightly overpaid, especially in a flat-cap, but it's not awful. Only has 5 more years after this and he'll only be 32 when it expires, so it's reasonable to expect that he can keep up the level of play as a #2 or 3 D the entire time.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah that contract may be movable. He's definitely slightly overpaid, especially in a flat-cap, but it's not awful. Only has 5 more years after this and he'll only be 32 when it expires, so it's reasonable to expect that he can keep up the level of play as a #2 or 3 D the entire time.
Also keep in mind we’re likely to move one of schneider or lundkvist and don’t need to pay either until trouba’s ntc expires. likely that was the expectation with this deal. He stays in nyc while his fiancé is in residency and then gets moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad