Pre-Game Talk: Pre Series Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. a New York team not named Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Figured we'd do a pre-game talk thread. The schedule is going to be something everyone wants to know about. Looks like Barclays and MSG is very interesting for games 3/4.

Personally... I will not root for an opponent. I think both NY teams have a strength that could take the series, but the Pens need to play their game.

Let's go! We will get a new thread once it's all official.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Let's go! We will get a new thread once it's all official.
But... aren't you like official? ;)

Brackets looking good on NHL, meant the look but maybe matchups too heh:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/stanleycup.htm?season=20152016&round=pst

Lundqvist going down, mark my words. We'll find the way to piss him off or maybe we won't even have to.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the refs doing their job though. That's pretty much the only way most teams could cope with our speed without proper officiating.

Health.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens win the series as long as Fleury or Murray is back in time for game 3. I think Zatkoff could do well enough where we win at least one of the first 2 games (probably like 4-3 or something like that). I think we could at least not lose any ground with Zatkoff in net, especially if we play the Islanders.

That would be a pretty funny matchup though, the battle of the Penguins backups in Greiss vs Zatkoff. I honestly don't think Greiss has much of an advantage on Zatkoff.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Injuries on Isles/Rangers?

Who do the Pens match up with better? I see you've handled both teams pretty well this season - I'm thinking NYR's slow-footed defense might be preyed on by the fast Pens forwards.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Injuries on Isles/Rangers?

Who do the Pens match up with better? I see you've handled both teams pretty well this season - I'm thinking NYR's slow-footed defense might be preyed on by the fast Pens forwards.

We match up with Isles based on their goaltending situation and the fact they cannot match our speed this year. However, they aren't nearly as injured as the Rangers and can play the speed game.

We match up with Rangers based on their lack of speed and injuries. However, they still do have depth and big time players mixed with a goalie who CAN turn it on at any moment.

So there is no definitive answer here. If the Pens play their style that they've played over the last month or so, we are favorites. If the powerplay goes back to giving up shorties and we don't get that same effort, then it could be a long series. There is no easy answer. That's why we play the game! :yo:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd prefer the Rangers because they're a lot less physical than the Islanders.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Pens win the series as long as Fleury or Murray is back in time for game 3. I think Zatkoff could do well enough where we win at least one of the first 2 games (probably like 4-3 or something like that). I think we could at least not lose any ground with Zatkoff in net, especially if we play the Islanders.

That would be a pretty funny matchup though, the battle of the Penguins backups in Greiss vs Zatkoff. I honestly don't think Greiss has much of an advantage on Zatkoff.

Zatkoff isn't playing a game. Fleury was almost ready for the Flyers game.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'd prefer the Rangers because they're a lot less physical than the Islanders.

My thoughts as well, more of a chance to come through the series with less injury, and maybe a chance to come out of the series a lot more healthy than going in.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
My thoughts as well, more of a chance to come through the series with less injury, and maybe a chance to come out of the series a lot more healthy than going in.

Tell that to the back of Crosby's neck

(But in all seriousness, I agree)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think the physicality is a reason to want one versus the other. The Isles might have more physical guys (Martin, Clutterbuck), but the Rangers have proven time and again to be totally fine with throwing cheap shots and getting dirty.

A day ago, I'd be fine with either of them. Now, I'm worried about our goalie situation far more than either of the NY teams. Concussions are fickle, unpredictable, and Fleury looked pretty bad coming off of his last one. It took some time before he started to approach the level he was playing at before he went down. Until we're several games in, I'm not going to be comfortable with either MAF or Murray in net (assuming Murray was concussed).

Neither team's defense worries me. Especially if McDonagh misses the series, and Hamonic is hobbled. Greiss is the obvious choice for the easier goalie, but I think Hornqvist, Kuhn and our speed would drive Lundqvist insane. I think our speed matches up better against the Rangers, and I worry about Tavares+Okposo more so than anyone on the Rangers.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah I think I'd rather see the Rangers than the Islanders. The Islanders are more physical and have better star power.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't have a preference. Both teams provide their own struggles. I think the Rangers are a better team, but I think the Islanders match-up against us better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Likely start date known for the series? Wednesday/Friday?

Rangers series would start Wednesday I think, Madison Square Garden is booked for Monday so a Tuesday or Thursday start wouldn't work and Friday would be a pretty late start.

I think the Islanders series would also start on a Wednesday, Barclays center is booked on Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. A Tuesday or Thursday start wouldn't work. I think for the Islanders, it would go game 1 on Wednesday, game 2 on Friday, game 3 on Sunday and game 4 on Wednesday.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I don't think the physicality is a reason to want one versus the other. The Isles might have more physical guys (Martin, Clutterbuck), but the Rangers have proven time and again to be totally fine with throwing cheap shots and getting dirty.

A day ago, I'd be fine with either of them. Now, I'm worried about our goalie situation far more than either of the NY teams. Concussions are fickle, unpredictable, and Fleury looked pretty bad coming off of his last one. It took some time before he started to approach the level he was playing at before he went down. Until we're several games in, I'm not going to be comfortable with either MAF or Murray in net (assuming Murray was concussed).

Neither team's defense worries me. Especially if McDonagh misses the series, and Hamonic is hobbled. Greiss is the obvious choice for the easier goalie, but I think Hornqvist, Kuhn and our speed would drive Lundqvist insane. I think our speed matches up better against the Rangers, and I worry about Tavares+Okposo more so than anyone on the Rangers.

It's impressive how many different threads you've managed to say this in.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I keep switching between who I want to face.

Isles are better speed wise but they have a number of injuries.

Rangers struggled with our speed but they have Hank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->