Pre-season thread

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mean Monty throws Hintz out there with the net empty over say Ritchie or Dickinson . At this point i'm very suprised he doesn't make the team.

Goes along with him putting Hintz in a top 6 spot over Dickinson and Ritchie. He knows what Hintz is capable of and wants to see it. I'd say it's a big positive for Hintz that he was the one creating all that chaos in the crease that led to Seguin's goal. I also would not be surprised to see Hintz in top 6 role possibly even early in the season if he does make the lineup and can produce.

He is at a disadvantage though because he doesn't require waivers to be sent down. Could be a huge factor in what the Stars do if they are worried that they'll lose someone

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Have a bad feeling that Jim Nill will want Hintz to get another year in the AHL though. Final decision is his after all

Monty liked the 4th line a lot tonight though. Liked Ritchie's spirited fight and said it motivated and drove energy into the team, liked Dickinson's goal, and said "Hintz was dynamite" in the last 6 minutes of the game so.

Wonder if part of the reason the Stars are waiting to send these waiver eligible players down though is to make the risk of them getting picked up much less. Waiver wire will be very busy tomorrow

serp

Jan 17, 2016
And do what ? Hintz had a full year in Texas and 2 full years in Finland playing big minutes . I don't know what he can really learn back there anymore.

He's clearly NHL ready

Easily the better than Elie , Ritchie or Smith.

Send Smith or Elie down and roll with Hintz as your 4th line Center flanked by Shore and Ritchie,Dickinson or Smith/Elie .

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
One thing that’s definitely true with this team is that they probably have the most third line talent in the league. I dunno if that’s a good thing, but I feel like any combination of the bottom six is gonna be quality. The top six is gonna need another guy though, and I think he’s currently wearing 11 for Montreal or 95 for Ottawa.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
And do what ? Hintz had a full year in Texas and 2 full years in Finland playing big minutes . I don't know what he can really learn back there anymore.

He's clearly NHL ready

Easily the better than Elie , Ritchie or Smith.

Send Smith or Elie down and roll with Hintz as your 4th line Center flanked by Shore and Ritchie,Dickinson or Smith/Elie .

Yeah- it's clear that Hintz is ready for the NHL. We won't miss Remi Elie.

Agreed. I'm just saying I could see Jim Nill pulling a move like that

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
One thing that’s definitely true with this team is that they probably have the most third line talent in the league. I dunno if that’s a good thing, but I feel like any combination of the bottom six is gonna be quality. The top six is gonna need another guy though, and I think he’s currently wearing 11 for Montreal or 95 for Ottawa.

Gallagher would be a huge get but I don't see why Montreal would move him considering he has 3 years remaining on his (fantastic) contract.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I agree with us having a lot of bottom 6 talent and not enough spots. The issue has always been 2nd line talent. Hell, even one quality second line player makes the roster fall into place so much better on paper.

Elie won’t be missed, I wonder if Smith has soured on his relationship after arbitration, and Ritchie has been good but wouldn’t be a huge loss. None should play over Hintz.

How has Comeau been?

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
From Sean:

9. The Stars will place at least two players on waivers on Monday and potentially a third as they trim down the roster before Tuesday’s deadline.
Justin Dowling and Joel Hanley appear locks to be placed on waivers, while another waiver move depends on whether Hintz makes the team or not.
If Hintz makes the team, the Stars will have to send another forward through waivers, meaning either Remi Elie or Gemel Smith could be starting the season in the AHL. If Hintz doesn’t make the team Elie and Smith will probably be healthy scratches on opening night.

10. Based on gut feeling and trying to read the tea leaves, I would make an educated guess that Smith is the one that would be waived.
If that is the case, I don’t think Smith would be claimed. Waivers are all about timing, and at this time the other 30 NHL teams already have their own bottom-six forwards similar to Smith.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Shapiro and Newkirk also think Hintz made the team so fingers crossed. Well see tomorow i guess when players are on waivers. If Elie or Smith aren't than Hintz goes down. Hopefully doesn't happen.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Gallagher would be a huge get but I don't see why Montreal would move him considering he has 3 years remaining on his (fantastic) contract.

I just figure he’s next to be moved if they’re going full rebuild. I don’t see Weber or Price (if he doesn’t bounce back) being very moveable with those contracts. Might wanna cash in on what they can.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I agree with us having a lot of bottom 6 talent and not enough spots. The issue has always been 2nd line talent. Hell, even one quality second line player makes the roster fall into place so much better on paper.

Elie won’t be missed, I wonder if Smith has soured on his relationship after arbitration, and Ritchie has been good but wouldn’t be a huge loss. None should play over Hintz.

How has Comeau been?

I really like the addition of Comeau and I see what Nill meant by him being able to play all over the lineup. You could throw him anywhere and he wouldn't look out of place. Top 6, bottom 6, etc. He's good and smart. Better offensively than I expected and a lot like Pitlick

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
From Sean:

9. The Stars will place at least two players on waivers on Monday and potentially a third as they trim down the roster before Tuesday’s deadline.
Justin Dowling and Joel Hanley appear locks to be placed on waivers, while another waiver move depends on whether Hintz makes the team or not.
If Hintz makes the team, the Stars will have to send another forward through waivers, meaning either Remi Elie or Gemel Smith could be starting the season in the AHL. If Hintz doesn’t make the team Elie and Smith will probably be healthy scratches on opening night.

10. Based on gut feeling and trying to read the tea leaves, I would make an educated guess that Smith is the one that would be waived.
If that is the case, I don’t think Smith would be claimed. Waivers are all about timing, and at this time the other 30 NHL teams already have their own bottom-six forwards similar to Smith.

I really don't get why they'd waive Smith over Elie. I don't care either way as long as Hintz makes the team but still

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I really don't get why they'd waive Smith over Elie. I don't care either way as long as Hintz makes the team but still

I mean Elie did play 72 NHL games last year and Smith just 46 . Not to mention the way Smiths contract negotions went there might be some issues we don't know about.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Contract negotiations should have no bearing on who makes and doesn’t make a hockey club, unless our team is run by unprofessional people.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I was more pondering if they’ve affected how much Smith wants to be here, not the other way around.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What more can he want, he got a one way ticket.
And now we can see why he wanted it. He knows the Stars system is full of eight other guys like him. Had he just given in to Nill's offer, he'd have cost himself more money in one year than he'll likely make the rest of his hockey career bouncing around minor leagues. Going to arbitration was the single best financial decision he'll make in his entire life.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I give a fairly sizable edge to Smith over Elie, Ritchie, or even Dickinson to an extent because of analytics on Gemel’s side, but bottom liners are bottom liners. If he’s the one to go I’ll be slightly confused, but it’s nothing to get mad over.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I hope the PK improves before the Jets come to town on Oct 6th, or Scheifele and Laine will burn the Stars for 7 goals instead of 5. At least Armia won't be around as much now to burn us with a shortie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad