Celtics/NBA Pre-Season Thread: Celtics, now owners of minor league Red Claws, say team will stay in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m not looking for a tremendously long or involved answer to this, but I can’t figure out why the salary cap needs to be so complicated.

Especially in the NBA.

I mean if I were starting a league, it seems that the following guidelines (with minor adjustments, maybe) would suffice.

1. The cap is a hard number, say 100 million for arguments sake. That is all you have to spend on salaries per year.

2, you can pay/offer anyone as much as you want, but you must be at or under the cap by your opening game.

3. For cap purposes, all contracts AAV is equal to whatever the total is divided by the length. 40 million over 5 years = 8 million cap #. No bonus exemptions.

4. No daily calculations. If you start the season at 90 million (10 million in cap space) you can’t trade a 5 million dollar guy for a 20 million dollar guy, because that would put you over the 100 million you’re allowed to spend on salaries for the season.

5. If a player is injured for the season, you can subtract 1/2 if his total salary and use it as a cushion/bonus.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Most bigs are gone. Some names floating around: Kanter (zero D), Noel (red flags about character), Looney (more of a PF type) and Cousins (red flags about character, injury and defensive work). What they desperately need is a big who can defend Embiid and Giannis (and Gasol), otherwise they will have no shot at all.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Iguodala was just unceremoniously dumped in Memphis. I know they don't need any more guards but he would be great here. Too much money, though. Some contender should add him.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Damn that is a good move for GS can’t think of a better player to have behind Steph and Klay can fill in great for either. Way better than the guys getting stupid money in free agency. I think they can put together an ok bench of players around the minimum the bench doest need to do much if the starters are waxing people.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Damn that is a good move for GS can’t think of a better player to have behind Steph and Klay can fill in great for either. Way better than the guys getting stupid money in free agency. I think they can put together an ok bench of players around the minimum the bench doest need to do much if the starters are waxing people.

Great move

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Celtics will play a speed game this year. Lots of fast break points. Focus on getting some good rebounders who can create extra chances on the offensive end.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hmm....the 76ers......

You know what? **** Al.

Shows you that it wasn't about winning. He was about that cash grab. Hard to hold it against the guy too given it's his last big shot at a high dollar deal. Makes him come off looking like a complete pud though. And the Philly front office showing the world they just don't get it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Shows you that it wasn't about winning. He was about that cash grab. Hard to hold it against the guy too given it's his last big shot at a high dollar deal. Makes him come off looking like a complete pud though. And the Philly front office showing the world they just don't get it.

This move seems like a pretty good situation that was impossible to turn down. Philly is still a contender in the East and with Embiid to play with, Horford could be more effective. Could be an good leader in the locker room too, with a group that has struggled to make a deep playoff run.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Totally disagree. He got the money and a chance to be on the best team in the East.

Still, f*** him and f*** Philly.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Totally disagree. He got the money and a chance to be on the best team in the East.

Still, **** him and **** Philly.

Best team? Yeah, not sure about that. Maybe the team with the deepest talent overall, but they're not a good team. They do way too many dumb things to ever be the best team, imo.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Best team? Yeah, not sure about that. Maybe the team with the deepest talent overall, but they're not a good team. They do way too many dumb things to ever be the best team, imo.

Hence why they wanted Horford.

If Kawhi leaves the East the Sixers are as likely as any team to win the East. That's not really debatable.

Reactions: Lo97

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hence why they wanted Horford.

If Kawhi leaves the East the Sixers are as likely as any team to win the East. That's not really debatable.

Sure it is. The Celtics had the best roster in the east last year, talent wise, top to bottom. How did that work out for them?

It's not about the most talented roster. It's about the best team. And in reality, I'd say that their overall talent level actually drops from last year to this year with Butler out and Horford in.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Sure it is. The Celtics had the best roster in the east last year, talent wise, top to bottom. How did that work out for them?

It's not about the most talented roster. It's about the best team. And in reality, I'd say that their overall talent level actually drops from last year to this year with Butler out and Horford in.

Yeah I don't have time for this. I didn't argue they are a guarantee to win the East, and you yourself said they might have the most talent in the conference. So we agree on what I've actually said and I'll be taking my W and moving on.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really want to see more of Robert Williams this season. Hopefully the kid is working tail off this offseason and is ready to join the young nucleus of the team.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah I don't have time for this. I didn't argue they are a guarantee to win the East, and you yourself said they might have the most talent in the conference. So we agree on what I've actually said and I'll be taking my W and moving on.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. You said they had as good a chance as any to win, and I disagreed because I think that despite the talent, they've got some strong personalities that simply don't get it. Embiid has all the physical tools in the world, and should dominate a lot more than he does. As their best player, and their leader, I think the team fails because of him alone.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Horford compliments their stars perfectly that contract probably won't look bad until year 3 or 4. Josh Richardson was a good move to.

I think its still fair to question the stars though especially in the playoffs. But they should have won the Toronto series.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So who was it here that said that sign and trade deals never happened anymore in the NBA ???? I disagreed and told him that they still happened but not as much as in the past. Anyway.......

giphy.gif

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad