Celtics/NBA Pre-Season Thread: Celtics, now owners of minor league Red Claws, say team will stay in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Except the Celtics are about to lose two All-Star caliber players, and they won't have the means to replace them with an All-Star.

This is just about the worst case scenario for the Celtics.

They were a #4 seed last year. They just lost two of their best players, and likely don't have the resources to adequately replace them. Their highest-paid player has one of the most immovable contracts in the league. Outside of possibly next year's Memphis pick, they lack high-end draft assets.

They're pretty screwed.

Anybody can take the east. I also believe that with the west now too. Tatum is in year 3 and Brown year 4 and well see that experience on the court now that they are expected to lead the team. I think the celts will make a few savvy moves and put themselves in a good position for at least a top 3 seed

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Sucks to see Horford go, but it's the right move for him. He deserves a chance to compete for a championship, and that's not going to be this team next year. I believe if they renounce Rozier and all the other cap holds, they can get close to max space. Not that they should necessarily use that, but Horford leaving gives them more options.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
If Kawhi leaves Toronto... the Celtics would still be several steps behind Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and probably Brooklyn.

I disagree about Philly and Brooklyn. The Nets remain to be seen with bringing in Kyrie to lead the show. Also a big part of their resurgence was Russell and he may be out the door.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Sucks to see Horford go, but it's the right move for him. He deserves a chance to compete for a championship, and that's not going to be this team next year. I believe if they renounce Rozier and all the other cap holds, they can get close to max space. Not that they should necessarily use that, but Horford leaving gives them more options.
Horford was my favourite Celtic, hope it works out for him.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
All of a sudden I like the team more.

I wouldn't give Horford 30 over 2 years. Better to have him leave a year early than a year late. Want no part of a multi year deal with him but was fine going year to year.

FWIW all of a sudden my dislike for Hayward is gone. He has a role again and won't take shots from Tatum.

Capela would look great on this team. Get him and Rubio to compete with Terry and I think we have a legit contender. 2018 was a lot more fun than 2019 we might have a really good underrated squad on our hands that will play with pace.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I personally love the idea of Mike Conley and Capela, but that probably only work unless Memphis agrees to take on salary.

Well Conley is no longer an option.

That Memphis pick ( top 6 protected next season and totally unprotected in 2021 ) is looking better and better. Glad Trader Danny held onto it.......at least so far anyway.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
I don't know what everyone is so worried about, all the Celtics have to do is trade Rondo for a couple assets and they should be fine.

Reactions: LSCII

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Khris Middleton is going to get a max contract offer from someone.

The Celtics can't sign a UFA to a max contract.

...and even if they could, I'm not sure why they'd go after Middleton when they're loaded with swing players.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
Khris Middleton is going to get a max contract offer from someone.

The Celtics can't sign a UFA to a max contract.

...and even if they could, I'm not sure why they'd go after Middleton when they're loaded with swing players.
I was wondering if he would be a max contract. He can shoot

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
If the Celtics want a max guy they're close enough where clearing a little more space wouldn't be the issue. Just not a good idea right now. Save the space so in two years you can add the guy to put them over the top after Jaylen develops into the next Kawhi and Tatum the next Kobe.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I've jumped on the Tyler Herro bandwagon. Hope the Celtics pick him.
Meh.

Herro's calling card is supposedly his shooting. And yeah, his jump shot is pretty. But it also doesn't go in as much as you'd like to see. You'd be taking him because you think the results will eventually catch up with the technique.

Besides... the Celtics need bigs. Badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->