Celtics/NBA Pre-Season Thread: Celtics, now owners of minor league Red Claws, say team will stay in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Celtics have another good path to win the east this year. I watched maybe 1 quarter of clippers basketball in last 15 years and I don't see that changing but watching Leonard play this playoff run was pretty entertaining. Toronto had to expect this.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Leonard attempting a repeat with Toronto would have at least been interesting. Staying up till 1am to watch LA's second team. That's brutal.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Love Kawhi to the Clips. They were clearly a 3rd option to the media but I’m assuming Kawhi wanted to play at home without the craziness of being Lebrons sidekick.

And then to grab PG from okc is nice too. The west is gonna be a bloodbath. Clippers, Rockets, Lakers, Warriors in the final 4 would bring some amazing games. They need to win one or 2 though. They gave up a whole bunch of picks so it’s gonna be tough to retool on the go.

Poor Westbrook though. Guy has seen so many mvp and all star caliber players come and go. Have to imagine he’s on his way out soon as well. I wonder if a Paul/Westbrook deal was ever talked about with Houston

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
GANTER: If you listened closely, Kawhi Leonard was never staying

We all knew this was a real possibility.

It doesn’t make it any easier in the moment, but let’s not pretend we are all shocked by this.

Kawhi Leonard came to Toronto, not of his own choosing but because the San Antonio Spurs deemed the Raptors’ offer the most to their liking last summer. Leonardr no longer trusted the Spurs and wanted out.

The Spurs, with no leverage, got what they could for Leonard. That or they were still sour with the player many projected to be the face of the Spurs for years to come before both sides clashed over the diagnosis of an injury.

Rather than send him to his desired destination, they shipped him off to another country.

But everything we have ever known about the Spurs suggest that is more NBA myth than fact.

The Spurs are a bottom-line operation. There is no room for emotion in a bottom-line operation.

They didn’t go looking to accommodate Leonard’s needs, nor did they set out to somehow punish him by sending him to a northern climate. And before the letters start, we don’t view it as punishment in any way but can’t speak for many of our neighbours to the south.

But now Leonard does have a choice and as he stated over a year ago his first choice was to play at home in California. Apparently that didn’t change. Not over time, not with a championship season, not with the relationships he forged over that championship season.

That it happens to be the Los Angeles Clippers and not the already star-studded Lakers is the surprise.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Poor Westbrook though. Guy has seen so many mvp and all star caliber players come and go. Have to imagine he’s on his way out soon as well. I wonder if a Paul/Westbrook deal was ever talked about with Houston

I really doubt that Westbrook finishes this season with OKC. I could see a team starved for star power ( hello there NY Knicks ) offer up a bunch of picks/players to OKC for Westbrook. It would make sense for OKC to completely strip down the team since they might not even be a Playoff team this coming season with their current roster.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NBA has become a farce

Basketball is the one major sport where ONE player can make the difference. The league's salary cap has so many loopholes that even capoligists scratch their heads.

Free agents and/or their agents ignore rules about when a player and team can start talking.

The sport still has one basic flaw - there is only one basketball on the court.

I do know that several Celtics players disliked the new Celtics practice center next to Warrior because it was harder to get to than Waltham.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It seems to me that the more that comes out about the Celtics of last season the more it seems that coaching and management lost control of the team and the players did what they wanted. It can't be that way. The NBA players are telling team what they want for players to be signed or let go in order for them to sign. This is very bad IMO.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I hope Bill Belichik sees a tape of the rookie league game

Grant Williams off the edge standing up - Bwhahahaha

Reactions: Maine Fan

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Kawhi to Clips was the ultimate best case scenario for us and frankly the whole league. If he had stayed in TOR, it would have been a competitive season, but with Toronto being the best team in the east. If he had signed with LAL, they would have been the next GSW juggernaut. Thank god it didn't happen.

Yes, LAC have a nice roster and Kawhi + PG is a pretty good 1-2 punch, but it's hardly unbeatable.

And as far as the Raptors are concerned...I don't like them, but they should be thankful that they got a championship out of this opportunity with Kawhi. Keeping Leonard was obviously never in the cards. The only reason it took so long to sign with LA was the holdup in the recruiting department. But the fans shouldn't fault KL at all, it was known even before the trade that he was very likely LA(C) bound. Same as Davis had we traded for him in the summer. Sometimes it works out (though George is now in LA, just later than expected), but most of the time it's a huge gamble.
So anything more than getting to hang a banner was gravy. They turned DDR into a ring and now have Siakam as a good foundation piece to rebuild. Masai is a good GM, they may be back with good drafting and trading.

I am stoked for the season, our roster is a huge box of chocolates, the floor is the 2nd round, but the ceiling is a finals appearance.

Reactions: dabid

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
In hospital, bored, watched the Celtics vs Philly Summer league game. I know it's summer league and some of the stuff they can do m this league won't work in the big league, but was fun to watch. I like some of the Celtic rookies hope they quickly grow into stars with the Celtics at least regulars.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
I only watched Tacko highlights on youtube but I'm p. sure he should make the team.
Well if that’s the case we’re in deep trouble. The celts are loaded with stiffs at #4&5. Williams is a stiff. Yabu is a stiff. If you want a taco - bean town isn’t the place. They will make mince meat out of him. Danny has no clue when it comes to drafting a big fella.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I am not an expert with NBA knowledge I am just a viewer at times of the Celtics. I think from what I have read that the Celtics will be better off without Irving. Even with the loss of the other players in the off season, I am beginning to feel that they will have a competitive team this coming season.

I know it is early, but I'm I nuts?

Reactions: MAINE-IAC

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Well if that’s the case we’re in deep trouble. The celts are loaded with stiffs at #4&5. Williams is a stiff. Yabu is a stiff. If you want a taco - bean town isn’t the place. They will make mince meat out of him. Danny has no clue when it comes to drafting a big fella.

Stiff? Have u not seen him block? In the summer league he caught some awesome alley oop too. Danny didnt draft Tacko

Reactions: KesselBuiltMyHotrod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->