Pre-Season Hockeys Future Team Rankings (Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
BlueAndWhite said:
Poor Alex Steen will be crushed by that comment..

The Rangers have a better prospect than the Leafs by a good margin, but you don't seem to know the Leaf system very well...

Alex Steen is not even 6" and not even 185!

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
It may be meaningless but the fact remains Clarke would take Ahonen. Ahonen has won at all levels except AHL. He won the under 18 (stold the gol medal), won a silver at the WJC (stold a silver for the Fins). In Albany he had no help. His SV% isn't top notch because he isn't just getting loads of shots, Albany gives up loads of scoring chances point blank. I actually wish the AHL would keep track so you coul seehow horrible of a team Albany had. Its also alot tougher when you never get goal support.

This year Albany should have a better defense, offense and a much better coach. If he sucks out I will personally PM you and tell you I was wrong but won't be the case.

Holy crap! First you say that Albany stinks, then you say Ahonen isn't getting enough shots? CONDRADICTION! On bad teams, goalies face more shots. Nittymakii is better than Ahonen. Ahonen can barely hold a .900 SVP. Nittymaki was a star in the NHL when he was there.

I think Carter has the slight edge over Parise because of size.

To let people know I am a Ranger Fan, so I hate the Devils as much as the Flyers! :)

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
George Bachul said:
So you are saying that about the same size of Joe Sakic for the first 7-8 years of his career?

Im saying that it is harder to make the NHL, when you are smaller. You could make the same arguement for Nigel Dawes being the next St. Louis, which I hope happends. Very few small players make the NHL.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Unknownbutfamous said:
Holy crap! First you say that Albany stinks, then you say Ahonen isn't getting enough shots? CONDRADICTION! On bad teams, goalies face more shots. Nittymakii is better than Ahonen. Ahonen can barely hold a .900 SVP. Nittymaki was a star in the NHL when he was there.

I think Carter has the slight edge over Parise because of size.

To let people know I am a Ranger Fan, so I hate the Devils as much as the Flyers! :)
Where the hell do I say he isn't getting enough shots. Read a little more carefull. Niittymaki played 3 damn games and you call him a star in the NHL. I gues Clemmensen is also a star sine he has 2 SO in 4 starts with unheard of type stats. I'm sure a Rags fan hates Devils more then Philly.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Unknownbutfamous said:
Im saying that it is harder to make the NHL, when you are smaller. You could make the same arguement for Nigel Dawes being the next St. Louis, which I hope happends. Very few small players make the NHL.
You could also make the arguement with Malholtra or Kilger...maybe even pyatt.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Unknownbutfamous said:
I wasn't trying to dispute that, but a 5'11 183 pound 18 year old will likely top out at 5'11 close to 200lbs as a general rule. And if you check out his latest vitals he is over 6' and some places have him at 190 lbs.

He has also been playing with men in the SEL since 2001, and although not as physical as the NHL, strength is still an issue.

Steen has done enough to be named the best prospect in Sweden right now.

Your argument is valid. Just not with this particluar player.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
So Mr MacIssac,

You tell us that because Ahonen faces more shots than Niitimaki (even if Niitimaki has a better save %), it makes him better.

So what do we say in the case of Martin Brodeur? Is he still a great g? :shakehead

modestfwd

May 17, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
Your right, Rangers have nothing to hold vs NJ since we are beating the hell out of yas for the past 6 years or so. Have fun developing Brule or Bertrum.

Every Rangers fan will tell you that the rivalries go like this:
(From most hated to least)
Islanders
Flyers
Devils

There is still a rivalry between NYR and NJD, but the one between us and Philly is a lot stronger. Just so you know.

And we will have fun developing Brule or Bertrum. Just watch when one of them lead us to victory, while your beloved devs are out of the playoffs with their undersized 2nd line center.

I'm going to straight up say it, the Devils are one of the most overrated organizations in the league. Brouder had no business even looking at the Vezina last season. Parise is one of the most overhyped prospects in recent memory. You have to realize that his upside is a second line center with very good leadership qualities. He isn't F'ing Ovechekin!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
modestfwd said:
I'm going to straight up say it, the Devils are one of the most overrated organizations in the league.

This reminds me of when Roy said about JR....I can't hear you, I have my Stanley Cup Rings in my ears.

You won't get support from too many people here. The Jersey franchise is solid.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sum1winachampionship said:
Its amazing how fast philly fell. I don't disagree (based on what I read) but the really emptied their prospect tank this season
I do strongly disagree with the rankings. The flyers have a lot of good prospects and a couple elite ones.

Carter, Richards, Umberger, Eager, Nittymakki, and Ruzicka are all very good prospects. The flyers also have some other solid prospects in Potulny, Trembley, Beauchemin, Picard, and others. I don't see how there are 26 teams with better prospects.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't even think it's a matter of whether Jersey's prospects are better or the flyers prospects are better. The fact is, they are not 23 slots away from eachother. I'd take Carter, Richards, Ruzicka, Nittymakki, and Umberger over any top 5 of jersey, but that's probably because i've seen these guys in camp and in the AHL and been very very impressed. Both Carter and Richards had great WJC and Parise's WJC was just marginally better than Carter's. Add in the fact that Carter dominated the AHL playoffs and has a great combination of size, speed, and skill, i'd take him over Zack.

Add in the depth of Eager, (goalie for Wisconsin, name escapes me), Beauchemin, Trembley, Ruggeri, Picard, and a decent '04 draft class (judged one of the winners of the draft, despite not picking till the 3rd round) and I think the flyers can nearly match Jersey's depth (though I'll admit, not as good as Jersey's).

I don't think the flyers or jersey should be in the top 10, but i'd have both in my top 15.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not overly worried about the rankings. True, being a homer like everyone else, seeing the Pens ranked 9 made me chuckle. How many teams have two almost universally can't miss prospects, in two of the most important positions on the ice, Fleury and Malkin? Both basically the first pick of the last two drafts (Malkin would be almost any other year number one). Add enormous depth on defense and goaltending throughout the organization and I am not too worried if HF ranks the Pens lower than most would, I can see what is coming up and how little these rankings will mean in a couple of years when these players start hitting the ice.

Rankings do not play hockey, players do, and how many would trade all of your prospects for all of the Pens? Led by Fleury in goal, and Malkin centering a line with Ryan Whitney and Brooks Orpik back on Defense, not to mention many of the 'lesser luminaries' that fill the Pen's minors to overflowing, I highly doubt that there are 8 other teams out there that would decline that offer.

(edit)

*returns from having just looked at the details of those rankings*

what a joke . . . where is Fleury and Malkin? They have Fleury in the NHL, and Malkin is no where to be found. They have Sergei Anshakov ranked number 3 among our prospects elsewhere and yet from the list below he was left out entirely in considering this ranking. This was pretty sloppy.

9. Pittsburgh Penguins
Strengths: Having made many trades in which they get only prospects in return, the Penguins greatest asset in their system is depth, particularly on the blueline. Ryan Whitney, Noah Welch and Ross Lupaschuk highlight the future blueline of the Pens. Pittsburgh also has several skilled character forwards in their system like Colby Armstrong and Ben Eaves. Down the middle and along the left wing side the Penguins appear pretty set.
Weaknesses: The recent graduations of defenseman Ryan Malone and wingers Konstantin Koltsov, Ramzi Abid and Brooks Orpik have weakened the farm system and obviously having goaltenders Marc-Andre Fleury and Sebastien Caron in the NHL has depleted that position as well. There are no superstars at any level and there is a lack of pure goal scorers in the Penguins talent pool.
Top Prospects: Ryan Whitney (D), Noah Welch (D), Michal Sivek (F), Matt Murley (F), Ben Eaves (C), Colby Armstrong (F), Maxime Talbot (C), Ross Lupaschuk (D)

Last edited:

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
You seen Kadeikin and Vrana then? You are doing the same thing "you claim" I am doing, talking out of your ass. How do you know your players are better if you don't even see these two play. You rely on stats, if the stats don't favor your player as in the case between Carter and Parise you just start flaping your gums saying I am biased. Parise has accomplished more then Carter has over the past two years. Parise was a Hobey Baker finalist two years in a row as an 18 and 19 year old. He was World Junior Championships MVP, top forward, and on the allstar team.

Ahonen is better then Nittymaki....lets offer Ahonen to Philly for Nittymaki an I bet my balls that Clarke would accept the trade in a second. Ahonen faced over 35 shots a game on the worst team in the league. Nittymaki played on a top AHL team.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It may be meaningless but the fact remains Clarke would take Ahonen. Ahonen has won at all levels except AHL. He won the under 18 (stold the gol medal), won a silver at the WJC (stold a silver for the Fins). In Albany he had no help. His SV% isn't top notch because he isn't just getting loads of shots, Albany gives up loads of scoring chances point blank. I actually wish the AHL would keep track so you coul seehow horrible of a team Albany had. Its also alot tougher when you never get goal support.

This year Albany should have a better defense, offense and a much better coach. If he sucks out I will personally PM you and tell you I was wrong but won't be the case.

Thats when you said that

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Unknownbutfamous said:
Thats when you said that

Read the rest of the sentence. He says he doesn't see JUST a lot of shots, but great scoring chances. Often times, when a team shoots a lot, they are from bad scoring chances, but his poitn was he faces hard shots at a large volume, which affects his stats.

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
thestonedkoala said:
Why? Because I like what Edmonton has done. Montreal has a lot of undersized guys and one guy sitting out for a suspension. I think they have comparable prospects and a bit underrated...

To me what puts Edmonton over Montreal is the fact they have a slightly better goaltending situation.

Hey The Stoned Koala TSk.... Tsk... tsk...!!

What in the Name of GOD does the fact that he is suspended have to do with the fact that he is a Habz Prospect...? He could play the RSL or NHL... yo! It has nothing to do with the Guyz Potential... the depth of the Habz organization at the prospect level... last I checked he did not retire... and he's not dead...

Montreal has better offensive prospects and an equal ability in front of the Pipes...

Nothing there puts EDM infront of MTL...

meehan

Mar 20, 2003
new york
Visit site
modestfwd said:
I'm going to straight up say it, the Devils are one of the most overrated organizations in the league. Brouder had no business even looking at the Vezina last season. Parise is one of the most overhyped prospects in recent memory. You have to realize that his upside is a second line center with very good leadership qualities. He isn't F'ing Ovechekin!

Yeah, they have won the cup three times in the last decade and are "overated". Nice try. You want overrated teams, look at the last few ranger teams.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Kanye West said:
Hey The Stoned Koala TSk.... Tsk... tsk...!!

What in the Name of GOD does the fact that he is suspended have to do with the fact that he is a Habz Prospect...? He could play the RSL or NHL... yo! It has nothing to do with the Guyz Potential... the depth of the Habz organization at the prospect level... last I checked he did not retire... and he's not dead...

Montreal has better offensive prospects and an equal ability in front of the Pipes...

Nothing there puts EDM infront of MTL...
Like it or not both teams are pretty close in terms of prospects, but at the end of it all Edmonton has more depth after their top 10, and that is why they are slightly ahead.

Zednik

Apr 10, 2002
Quebec City
Visit site
Sorry, just my opinion, but if you think Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers can be a NHL caliber goaltender, you could be disappointed. He choked everytime I saw him play the Remparts in Quebec. I'll take Yann Danis instead...

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Zednik said:
Sorry, just my opinion, but if you think Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers can be a NHL caliber goaltender, you could be disappointed. He choked everytime I saw him play the Remparts in Quebec. I'll take Yann Danis instead...
I'm not even going to get into this one. It's easy to go through both lists and find faults with every player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->