GDT: Pre-season Game 5: Preds vs Blue Jackets 7:00 P.M. CST

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
Sounds like I made the right decision to stay home.

Remedial Hockey Night in Smashville--that's a good description of a preseason crowd, for sure.

Agreed ... putting carpet in at the rink this week so I was out tonight; but actually could have made it then heard I-24 was shut down.

Love the "remedial" remark ... Saturday's double header had two different really bizarre attendees behind me ... and no radio for me to drown them out. Game one had one guy explaining how Nashville should have an easier road now that we are out of the Western Conference and in the Central. Wha??? Game two was three Vandy co-eds wondering where Carrie is, gossiping about their friend who didn't make it, and the vagaries of Uber. LOL ... At least they were at the game!

Ready for opening night! And radio every game ... unbelievable they didn't broadcast these last three.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
Should we be concerned about...

Yeah yeah, I know it is only preseason. However, I'm a bit concerned that we are icing many opening night names who are underperforming.

0-6 on the power play is concerning. Pekka giving up 2 goals on a handful of shots. Our top line with some of our offensive hopes a -2 and shut out for the night.

I guess I hope it all works out before opening night and that I was working tonight while this game unfolded.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
I thought Ekholm was Eh tonight at best. Seriously, there was not much good to say about any of these guys. The Jackets, on the other hand, looked fairly sharp for large chunks of time in the offensive zone.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
hopefully this is a wakeup call. the wins over florida were misleading. This team is a long way from figuring out Lavys system. know its only preseason, and anything can happen, but you have to worry that we are gonna have a rocky start to the season.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Fire everyone!

ohnoes.gif

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
FWIW. Just looking at the stats. Beck played 10 minutes - no hits, no shots, no nothing. About the only thing noticeable to me was that Ellis and Volchenkov had four hits. A real invisi-game.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
After seeing we lost 3-0 I was a little let down. After checking the stat lines for both teams I am a little less worried. Their goalie played a very strong game. Going by the TOI stats the jackets used their players more along the lines of what you will see during the regular season. Looking at our stat line it looks like Lavy gave all our forwards about the same exact amount of even strength time with Bourque and Nystrom leading the way and Smith with the least amount of even strength TOI. We were also missing Weber and that really hurts our PP. Jones is simply not ready for top pairing duty and it showed.

I'm really not concerned though. Let’s see how they bounce back and look Saturday.

jntarheels

Feb 20, 2013
Clarksville, TN
My fiancee and I went to the game last night, and it was a pretty poorly played game by the guys in gold. We seemed to enter the zone better than I have ever seen us do, which was a nice change in the new system. I was disappointed to not see the Wilson, Roy, Smith line together after they had been playing very well. I guess Colin had or needed a rest day, so Lavy changed them up a little bit,which didn't work too well.

Josi really missed Weber out there... IMO, it was very noticeable. Jones is good, but he had a lot of sophomore mistakes out there, mainly with handling the puck that cost us on a few offensive zone possessions.

Columbus was really giving it to Fiala all night, and he wasn't taking it standing still.
I think he is going to be good, but could probably use some more time playing against men instead of juniors.
The Neal/Ribiero/Forsberg line has developed some good chemistry, but didn't make too many opportunities for themselves thus they didn't have much results last night.

Overall it was a very forgettable night, last night. We just need to continue working in practice and getting use to the system and I think it will work.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
CBJ knows what their roster looks like for the most part, Nashville on the other hand does not.

Different teams with different objects in a meaningless preseason game.

I wouldn't look to far in to anything.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
FWIW. Just looking at the stats. Beck played 10 minutes - no hits, no shots, no nothing. About the only thing noticeable to me was that Ellis and Volchenkov had four hits. A real invisi-game.

Beck did draw 3 penalties, however. But yes, I think the Preds will be waiving buh-bye.

Can't imagine how Volch had 4 hits - everytime I looked at him on the ice he was falling all over himself.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
After seeing we lost 3-0 I was a little let down. After checking the stat lines for both teams I am a little less worried. Their goalie played a very strong game. Going by the TOI stats the jackets used their players more along the lines of what you will see during the regular season. Looking at our stat line it looks like Lavy gave all our forwards about the same exact amount of even strength time with Bourque and Nystrom leading the way and Smith with the least amount of even strength TOI. We were also missing Weber and that really hurts our PP. Jones is simply not ready for top pairing duty and it showed.

I'm really not concerned though. Let’s see how they bounce back and look Saturday.

Perhaps.... however, whether or not those were their "regular" lines they played without their first line. As for TOI for us, we had what, 6 PP - Smith got big minutes there and the 4th line was the line on the ice following them, which is probably why Nystrom and Bourque had most ES TOI.

our "1st" line looks abysmal. All pre-season Neal has pretty much looked like he's re-enacting Carter to the BlowJackets and doing his best to get the heck outta' town. Ribs - good grief; sure would like to see Willy centering that line on Sat. 2nd line - Beck invisible, someone already beat me to Hook - yikes! Roy looked decent, Bourque was hustling - I think those were probably the only positive impressions from this debacle. on D - Jones looked beyond overmatched. Ekholm was ok, but it wasn't his best pre-season game. Vochenkov? - might as well play Alm.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
CBJ knows what their roster looks like for the most part, Nashville on the other hand does not.

Different teams with different objects in a meaningless preseason game.

I wouldn't look to far in to anything.

Obviously you didn't look "to" far into Columbus' lineup...

Not dressed includes, of course, Ryan Johansen , who will most certainly sign at some point soon... Nathan Horton, Brandon Dubinsky, Matt Calvert, Boone Jenner, Cory Tropp, Ryan Murray, Dalton Prout and of course their number one goalie, Bob. (Not that McElhinney didn't do a fine job.)

That's 216 points from last year that will all be among the Blue Jackets opening night roster (barring injury)

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.

Not dressed includes, of course, Ryan Johansen , who will most certainly sign at some point soon... Nathan Horton, Brandon Dubinsky, Matt Calvert, Boone Jenner, Cory Tropp, Ryan Murray, Dalton Prout and of course their number one goalie, Bob. (Not that McElhinney didn't do a fine job.)

That's 216 points from last year that will all be among the Blue Jackets opening night roster (barring injury)

CBJ roster was loaded with guys on the bubble (forwards) and most of the expected defense. Barring injury... at the moment, you can put Horton, Jenner, and Murray on that list from above.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Obviously, I missed my point in my post. Did I say that was CBJ's line-up? Nope, I said different objectives for different teams.

Most roles (pp, pk, shutdown, offensive, defensive, etc and even chemistry within the established players in this systems are all still very much in the air for Nashville and then new coach. CBJ has players that have been in an established system with players that are for the most part established to it. Nashville is still very much throwing **** at fan....

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I thought that everything but the PP, PK, 4th line, and the bottom pair looked ok.

I say that with some jest, some truth. We had numerous chances to score. Bolls goal was too east. The other two were pp goals, I think. That is a pk without Weber, s I am not too worried yet. PP needs to pull the trigger a hair sooner, but I thought it looked decent. Good movement, good spacing

Jones, to the surprise of no one with a brain, isn't ready or 1st pair duties.
Fiala looked out of place with Gaustad and Bourque.
I love Jokinen's hair

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Fiala looked out of place with Gaustad and Bourque.

For the most part, save for immediately after one PK, Fiala didn't play with Gaustad and Bourque... Nystrom did. Fiala was generally on a line with Jokinen and Roy. (and if you say otherwise, people are gonna freak out that Lavy changes lines like Trotz :) )

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
For the most part, save for immediately after one PK, Fiala didn't play with Gaustad and Bourque... Nystrom did. Fiala was generally on a line with Jokinen and Roy. (and if you say otherwise, people are gonna freak out that Lavy changes lines like Trotz :) )
I think people might freak out he likes someone elses hair more than Upshall's.

Looking at the time on ice, Fiala played less than 11 minutes or about the same amount as Beck. I'm guessing those are the next 2 gone. Then I see that Smith only played 13 minutes, and I don't know what to make of that.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It's a preseason game. Pekka didn't get any help on any of the three goals he gave up. We had chances, we just didn't do anything with them, Columbus did. It's a game. The three defensive pairings weren't what would be using opening night. The forward lines sans the first line won't be what we use opening night. Not concerned.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think people might freak out he likes someone elses hair more than Upshall's.

Looking at the time on ice, Fiala played less than 11 minutes or about the same amount as Beck. I'm guessing those are the next 2 gone. Then I see that Smith only played 13 minutes, and I don't know what to make of that.

Wouldn't you think smiths ice time is diminished due to us being on the PK a lot? Or did he play the PK last night?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Wouldn't you think smiths ice time is diminished due to us being on the PK a lot? Or did he play the PK last night?

All the forward even strength time were almost exactly the same (within 1:30 of each other). Special teams played a role in the rest of the ice time it seemed. Smith was only on the PP as he should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad