GDT: Pre-Season Game #3: Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders. Sept 18th. 7PM 5-1 L

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't care that it's the preseason, it's completely unacceptable for the squad they iced last night to produce this kind of result. You have a bunch of guys trying to make the team or at least put in really good first impressions. I hope Trotz skates them hard this morning.

He skated them hard before the game, intentionally, to tire them out to see how players responded.

Reactions: PWJunior

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't care that it's the preseason, it's completely unacceptable for the squad they iced last night to produce this kind of result. You have a bunch of guys trying to make the team or at least put in really good first impressions. I hope Trotz skates them hard this morning.
Is this the first "fire everyone, trade everyone, we suck" post of the season?? What took you guys so long?? LOL

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Surrounded by mediocrity last night

And playing with Komarov? Idk how they expect Barzal to make plays when he has a grinder on his wing
It's one preseason game. One Trotz said the team may have been tired. Not making excuses but got to look at the big picture. Also Komarov on the top line, I would not write that in stone. But Trotz played Wilson with Ovie last year. And Ladd did play with Barzal for half a year. I am more interested in looking at how this team transforms into a team for the season opener. I think we will have a better idea when roles are more defined. I think Bellows is making a case of sticking, Komarov showed he could skate, I read PW's comment. And the rest is a work in progress. Hopefully Korn can solidify the goaltending. This was by far the biggest weakness to the Isles last season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ho-Sang did not, Dobson did.

Dobson looked good considering he was paired with Sbisa, but I wouldn’t say he’s NHL ready, which is perfectly fine. It’s clear that he’s going to be really good one day. He thinks the game great and his mobility for his size is above average.
I agree with your opinion on Dobson. I also liked that Dobson felt comfortable enough to jump up in the O zone on a play in the first period to take a pass and get a shot off. He looked more poised last night than he did on Sunday at the Barn. He won't make the team this year but I liked his game last night.

Reactions: eoin92

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree with your opinion on Dobson. I also liked that Dobson felt comfortable enough to jump up in the O zone on a play in the first period to take a pass and get a shot off. He looked more poised last night than he did on Sunday at the Barn. He won't make the team this year but I liked his game last night.

He still needs to fill out and just refine his game as he matures, but the instincts and tools are definitely there. I agree that it was great to see him confident and playing his game, which is surprisingly aggressive offensively when he picks his spots. I think he took it end to end late in the 3rd during a line change when he knew he had a lane to the outside, I think it ended up in a relatively harmless shot attempt by him. Decisions like that show me that he is plugged into the game and has the ability to execute on that decision.

I don't think he's physically mature enough to handle the NHL yet, but his game looks like it will translate well to the NHL. A year back in the Q and WJC play as the lead d-man for both teams will be big for him.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He still needs to fill out and just refine his game as he matures, but the instincts and tools are definitely there. I agree that it was great to see him confident and playing his game, which is surprisingly aggressive offensively when he picks his spots. I think he took it end to end late in the 3rd during a line change when he knew he had a lane to the outside, I think it ended up in a relatively harmless shot attempt by him. Decisions like that show me that he is plugged into the game and has the ability to execute on that decision.

I don't think he's physically mature enough to handle the NHL yet, but his game looks like it will translate well to the NHL. A year back in the Q and WJC play as the lead d-man for both teams will be big for him.
Spot on.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Now we know. :cry:

How many backs to backs does this team have? :help:

I was only able to catch a bit of the game because I was stuck at work, but I did notice Dobson making some plays that stood out. So much so that I thought he must've been somebody else with more pro experience at first because I was impressed with his poise.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

With the numbers game, I don't expect Dobson to get into an NHL game this year. He should benefit quite a bit from this training camp and preseason experience, he doesn't seem to lack any confidence despite his calm demeanor. He just seems to make the right play and isn't afraid to impose his will when he has the chance.

I love his mobility, he could use more explosion in his initial strides... I'm not concerned as that should take care of itself as he matures. He's an unpolished diamond, he's my favorite prospect for a reason.

It's going to be one hell of a decision next year whether or not to keep him in the NHL.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ho-Sang did not, Dobson did.

Dobson looked good considering he was paired with Sbisa, but I wouldn’t say he’s NHL ready, which is perfectly fine. It’s clear that he’s going to be really good one day. He thinks the game great and his mobility for his size is above average.
I am pulling for JHS to stick and produce.

And I would not mind Dobson getting rewarded with 9 game look at the start of the season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With the numbers game, I don't expect Dobson to get into an NHL game this year. He should benefit quite a bit from this training camp and preseason experience, he doesn't seem to lack any confidence despite his calm demeanor. He just seems to make the right play and isn't afraid to impose his will when he has the chance.

I love his mobility, he could use more explosion in his initial strides... I'm not concerned as that should take care of itself as he matures. He's an unpolished diamond, he's my favorite prospect for a reason.

It's going to be one hell of a decision next year whether or not to keep him in the NHL.
I never want to rush a defenseman to the NHL. It looks like Dobson read the game well last night and has the tools to succeed at a high level. Let him stay in juniors this year and get a year or 2 at the AHL level before considering him for a top 6 spot here. If Toews, Aho, and Vande Sompel are on schedule there’s no need to rush Dobson anyway. Their time in the AHL helped them, it could only help Dobson as well.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
On the other hand, Ladd didn't produce at even near the clip Beau did on that line.

Again, you're removing a surefire success factor in order to hopefully spark another area of the team i.e. creating one hole to hopefully fill another.

But Lou is responsible for filling the other.

Two other things...

I think Beau can be a decent center in this league, but he had a fairly miserable first 31 games up the middle last season before being sent down. Things clicked when put on Barzal's LW. Why should we all of the sudden think he's gonna play center on say a second line any better than Nelson or Kovar could, who certainly haven't got a proven track record with Barzal like Beau does?

Secondly, I'd even argue that most of Barzal's production in the first half last season was on the PP, which he spent with Lee, Bailey, Leddy, and Tavares.

I could be wrong, but the big swing in his point production came in the second half, combining PP success with that of his own line's chemistry.

With any luck, Ho-Sang and perhaps Bellows could add a step to the 2nd and/or 3rd lines.
Beauvillier’s production increased while Eberle’s decreased post All-Star break. The line was effective the whole year though with Ladd providing defense and “grit” in the first half.

Our strength as a team positionally is LW and one of our weaknesses judging from these preseason games is speed throughout the lineup. Dropping Beau to lw2 while bumping Lee up to Lw1 won’t hurt line 1 but it could most certainly help line 2 get the puck through the neutral zone at least.

At the end of the day, I’d love for Beau to stay on Barzals line and for us to have a proper 2C , but until then Trotz’s got some juggling to do.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Hmmm...new coach, new system, new techniques, new players.....three games into pre-season and midland at best expectations for the year.....no idea what there really is to bitch about. This year, it is all about the progression of how this team leans to play the new systems, uses the techniques being taught to them and then implement them with each other as a team....IT WILL TAKE TIME. Next year is when you are allowed to bitch again....ok...second half of the season....ok, as a Christmas gift, Dec. 25th.

Reactions: doublechili

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
People can say it's just preseason/new system/whatever but getting totally wrecked and abused by essentially Lehigh Valley on home ice while using your "strong" split team is not a good sign at all.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
People can say it's just preseason/new system/whatever but getting totally wrecked and abused by essentially Lehigh Valley on home ice while using your "strong" split team is not a good sign at all.
We got thrashed by a B squad

Not a good sign at all

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Trotz skating them hard the day of the game as a test. Lehner adjusting to new techniques (ever get in the habit of doing something the wrong way and then try to do it the right way? You get worse first before you get better). I'm not going to worry about last night.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m all in for Hughes but knowing are luck we would lose the lottery

No way are we finishing dead last in the league anyway so if we get Hughes it’s gonna be gravy for sure. Right now Colorado is a near lock to at least be in position for that top pick. Of course doesn’t mean they’ll get it. I still think Montreal will be worse than us too. I think 29th is the lowest we can finish logically

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Thanks for the report. I could not catch any of the game.
Did JHS and Dobson play?
Guessing from your comments that the only D who impressed was MVS.

Dobson played. He looked nervous and tentative, that said, he had moments where he looked composed and poised. I’d chalk his play up to being an 18 yr old in his first NHL action. He generally looks very raw to me.

MVS looked pretty good, he had a few D miscues. But again, I came away impressed by his ability to elude forecheckers and exit the zone, fueling the transition. We need more of that, ala Viz.

Boychuk looked engaged and active, just slow.

Overall, the D was passive and didn’t close off shooters hard enough.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad