Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #3: Canucks 4, Oilers 2 (Sutter x2, Pettersson, Pearson ENG)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I see today's 'Hockey Rumors' department has Benning and the Canucks being serious players in moving out salary for some of their bottom six forwards before the opener. So unless they have some sort of 'miracle deal' in place for Eriksson, then it's down to Sutter or Schaller.

If this is the ultimate plan, then the fact that Eriksson and Sutter have both scored so far in the pre-season and look completely healthy has to be good news for Benning.

I now a lot of pundits and posters have already consigned Gaudette to Utica. But I still think he's showed enough to be an NHL player. So something could be in the works.
It wouldn't be Sutter because I think roster quality still trumps the need for immediate space. He's a good player when healthy.... he was solid his first 20gms prior to wreaking his shoulder last yr.

I would expect Baertschi, Schaller, Pearson moving before Sutter for cap space.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I see today's 'Hockey Rumors' department has Benning and the Canucks being serious players in moving out salary for some of their bottom six forwards before the opener. So unless they have some sort of 'miracle deal' in place for Eriksson, then it's down to Sutter or Schaller.

If this is the ultimate plan, then the fact that Eriksson and Sutter have both scored so far in the pre-season and look completely healthy has to be good news for Benning.

I now a lot of pundits and posters have already consigned Gaudette to Utica. But I still think he's showed enough to be an NHL player. So something could be in the works.

eriksson is a no go. beyond schaller i don't know who they would be shopping for cap reasons. the list expands if they are actually trying to get value for guys they think they'll lose on waivers. goldy, leivo and maybe even motte could then qualify. i suppose sutter as a move to make room for gaudette is possible, but i am skeptical they would accept any roster downgrade with their ambitions this year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I dont think that Gaudette has nailed down that 3 C spot at all...Brandon Sutter (when healthy) is a good player....Moving Sutter now ,would leave them a bit exposed at 3C..IMO

Reactions: DL44

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Woof!
Just watched the game and I realize that it's only pre season but we're screwed if we lose a couple of Dmen(you know who) and the others have to play higher up in the line up.

Great for the Tank though :naughty:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I dont think that Gaudette has nailed down that 3 C spot at all...Brandon Sutter (when healthy) is a good player....Moving Sutter now ,would leave them a bit exposed at 3C..IMO
Moving Sutter for a decent return wouldn't leave them exposed at all. Over his Canuck career, as limited as it's been in recent seasons, Sutter has spent as much time on the wing as at center. And J.T. Miller has played center lots in his career and and I've seen a number of posters who think he might end up there eventually before the season is over.

If experience is any guide, if Sutter is fully healthy and ready to go, then deal him. Because as surely as night follows day, he'll go down with an injury. Then they'd be making the same mistake they made with Chris Tanev.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Moving Sutter for a decent return wouldn't leave them exposed at all. Over his Canuck career, as limited as it's been in recent seasons, Sutter has spent as much time on the wing as at center. And J.T. Miller has played center lots in his career and and I've seen a number of posters who think he might end up there eventually before the season is over.

If experience is any guide, if Sutter is fully healthy and ready to go, then deal him. Because as surely as night follows day, he'll go down with an injury. Then they'd be making the same mistake they made with Chris Tanev.

The time to deal Sutter, if they do, will be next season... Teams will not acquire two yrs of Sutter's contract prior to seeing him healthy. If he has say a 18g, 35pt campaign playing 75+ gms... Moving his 1 yr contract would be fairly easy.
Hell... if he's pacing that way at the deadline, and having a completely healthy season... you could potentially get some great value for him at the TDL... (which also makes room for Tryamkin THIS YR) - but why would we do that if he's playing that well - unless in the basement i guess.

But more likely immediate outgoing trade assets would be the others mentioned... Schaller, Baertschi, Pearson, Leivo... Even Tanev.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Fans here are no different - Hughes didn't have a great game last night, but on the couple decent plays he did make there were 10 posts here drooling about it.

Bouchard did some good things with the puck but man is he slow.

Fans here are so bipolar; some players can do no wrong and others can't do anything right (Eriksson scores and everybody here swears). Many people saying Demko was "fantastic"; I thought he was OK but not much more. Hughes was OK but didn't blow me away.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The time to deal Sutter, if they do, will be next season... Teams will not acquire two yrs of Sutter's contract prior to seeing him healthy. If he has say a 18g, 35pt campaign playing 75+ gms... Moving his 1 yr contract would be fairly easy.
Hell... if he's pacing that way at the deadline, and having a completely healthy season... you could potentially get some great value for him at the TDL... (which also makes room for Tryamkin THIS YR) - but why would we do that if he's playing that well - unless in the basement i guess.

But more likely immediate outgoing trade assets would be the others mentioned... Schaller, Baertschi, Pearson, Leivo... Even Tanev.

The strange thing that happens every single year is that:

A) marginal player plays well, Benning doesn't want to give them up because they are contributing to the lineup and help make the team better. Having committed to making the playoffs this year by trading away a potential lottery pick, Benning is therefore incentivized to keep them on the roster.

B) marginal player plays poorly and is not contributing to the team, Benning then goes out and shops them, doesn't like that no one wants his crap, and ends up holding onto those players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad