Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #3: Canucks 4, Oilers 2 (Sutter x2, Pettersson, Pearson ENG)

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
True, but in this case didn't they want to sign Schenn but he wanted to go to a winner? (Tampa).
I mean, perhaps. but would he rather make 700k in Tampa (albeit without the insane Vancouver taxes and the better weather in Florida) or 1.5-2 mil in Vancouver?

If he's just cup chasing, sure, it's understandable, but you have to try your hardest to keep a guy like that around. He's definitely worth 2 mil in this climate in my mind.. especially when he meshes well with your rookie d-man.

Reactions: daddyohsix

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's pre-season and early pre-season at that so I try not to read too much into things.

Performance wise last night no one really impressed me. No one really stood out for good reasons.

A few observations:
  • I thought Gaudette continues to struggle with the speed of his decision making. To me that has been the biggest hurdle for him at the NHL level. Physically he's fine. He has the tools. Hi decision making just isn't up to speed and I'm not sure it's getting better. I suspect he will start the year in the AHL and see call up duty. He'll need to solidify his spot in the NHL the last 40 games of the season or he may start to get overlooked by the organization.
  • Myers. He rushed the puck out a few times but I felt he did nothing with those rushes. The praise he got last night reminded me of the first few games of Bartkowski on this board. Everyone so happy at how he carried that puck up ice while a few of us said "ya but it always ends in a loss of possession and never a chance". Now Myers is better than Bartkowski of course but that's sort of what the comments last night reminded me of. He didn't have a bad game but against inferior competition I didn't feel he stood out at all. Not unusual for veteran players early in the preseason. I did see a lot of defensive zone flaws though. His down low coverage isn't great and when he doesn't have space he can panic with the puck.
  • up front I'm not sure anyone really stood out for me. I didn't feel that overall they had a great game despite getting some third period goals. Maybe Goldobin stood out but I'm not sure he stood out enough. Though he had a complete game effort which was nice to see as I just don't think he's a permanent offense first top 6 player. He needs that complete game to stick around.
  • preseason and all but that was a eerily familiar feeling last night....watching the canucks goaltender get pelted and hold the fort until the canucks get a goal or two against the general possession flow of the game. Also a lot of missed assignments in the slot. Again like last year. There is a ton to clean up systems wise yet and I feel like a broken record the past 3 seasons on that.
  • Really to me the best player on the ice last night was Jurco for the Oilers and it wasn't close. That was a guy who looked hell bent on collecting an NHL paycheque this season. That is how I want to see some bubble canuck player play the rest of the preseason because I haven't seen that yet (knowing some have only played one game).

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I didn't think he did. He's still over his head defensively. He had a bunch of good puck moving plays and pinches... but defensively... oofh... cons out weighed the pros.
I agree somewhat on his defensive play but I did like the way he skated the puck into the ozone, remaining hopeful on him. Also, he might’ve looked better paired with a more experienced partner.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think one thing we can all agree on...

Beiga was by far the hardest working player and had his effort level to the max.

He came out in the first on a mission. Thought he for sure was gonna get sent to the box with the amount of lumber he was throwing in the corners. If anyone has it PVR'd - go back and watch his first three shifts.

The only con is... that was basically his absolute best.

Last edited:

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I believe it was Baby Pettersson who spoke to him, and it was the opposite - Schenn wanted to re-sign in Vancouver but they didn't express interest

This is true. From what it seemed when we talked he wanted more than 700k. Ultimately the Canucks didn't wanna pay him that so he looked elsewhere. Obviously there wasn't much out there since he did sign for basically league minimum.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I think by Christmas the Oilers and Flames will figure out a way to set up a team in Red Deer and send Talbot and Smith to be that teams goaltenders.
EEjf1SaXUAIo2VD

Reactions: tantalum

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
I think one thing we can all agree on...

Beiga was by far the hardest working player and had his effort level to the max.

He came out in the first on a mission. Thought he for sure was gonna get sent to the box with the amount of lumber he was throwing in the corners. If anyone has it PVR'd - go back and watch his first three shifts.

Loved his effort. I don't see how he doesn't make the team at this point.

Plenty of people have already commented on the canucks, but man are the oilers a sad sack squad. I was not impressed with Bouchard at all. At the time of the draft there were 4 dmen that could be considered to be in a similar tier: Hughes, Boquist, Bouchard, and Dobson. Time will tell which one will make the most impact in the NHL but I wouldn't bet on it being bouchard.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Loved his effort. I don't see how he doesn't make the team at this point.

Plenty of people have already commented on the canucks, but man are the oilers a sad sack squad. I was not impressed with Bouchard at all. At the time of the draft there were 4 dmen that could be considered to be in a similar tier: Hughes, Boquist, Bouchard, and Dobson. Time will tell which one will make the most impact in the NHL but I wouldn't bet on it being bouchard.

i went into the oilers gdt last night to see what they thought of jurco and they are raving about bouchard and small things they say he is doing. i had barely noticed him. i am going to watch him more closely next game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i went into the oilers gdt last night to see what they thought of jurco and they are raving about bouchard and small things they say he is doing. i had barely noticed him. i am going to watch him more closely next game.

Fans here are no different - Hughes didn't have a great game last night, but on the couple decent plays he did make there were 10 posts here drooling about it.

Bouchard did some good things with the puck but man is he slow.

Reactions: Zippgunn and timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is true. From what it seemed when we talked he wanted more than 700k. Ultimately the Canucks didn't wanna pay him that so he looked elsewhere. Obviously there wasn't much out there since he did sign for basically league minimum.

i think they went with fantenberg on the theory he is more versatile being a switch sider and a better skater. also, as good as schenn did look last season he does not fit the way this coach runs its dmen, so maybe they did not want that paradigm switch disrupting their flow.

i am actually wondering what they think of fantenberg. they sent him to calgary where green could not see him and then didn't dress him last night. i recall being very surprised when they signed then buried wiercioch a couple of years ago. this time i am watching closely.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

That's interesting to hear. He just seemed so much less dynamic than a guy like Hughes and he's supposed to be an offensive guy and I just didn't see that.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I can say this much I didn’t watch the game but hearing the post game on team1040 and reading some messages here regarding Myers was his defensive play that questionable against basically an ahl team? His offense this year needs to be 30+ points with the overtime he’s gonna get but his defensive player with the icetime he’s gonna get that worries me.

Jpat had a few things to say about his effort also but I chalk that up to game 3 of preseason more than anything.

Also I’m always amazed how bubble players don’t go all Out in these games like even playing 20 games in the nhl could equal your entire years ahl salary

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Also I’m always amazed how bubble players don’t go all Out in these games like even playing 20 games in the nhl could equal your entire years ahl salary

The bubble players likely were going all out and that's a concern when you talk about organizational depth. The depth on the two teams the Flames iced and the one the Oilers iced outperformed the canucks depth by a fair margin.

It's fairly early but there isn't really anyone who seems to be grabbing a roster spot or even the first call up early in the season spot. Yet.

Reactions: timw33

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That's interesting to hear. He just seemed so much less dynamic than a guy like Hughes and he's supposed to be an offensive guy and I just didn't see that.
His puck moving was dynamic and he made an absolutely gorgeous pass to Mcleod who hit the post on a wide open net.

He showed his good skills last night, but also showed why I didn't want to draft him....heavy feet/stationary.

A player like Hughes will always stick out more than a guy like Bouchard.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I can say this much I didn’t watch the game but hearing the post game on team1040 and reading some messages here regarding Myers was his defensive play that questionable against basically an ahl team? His offense this year needs to be 30+ points with the overtime he’s gonna get but his defensive player with the icetime he’s gonna get that worries me.

Jpat had a few things to say about his effort also but I chalk that up to game 3 of preseason more than anything.

I thought Myers was absolutely fine in huge minutes last night. He had one glaring turnover, but I thought he was solid aside from that.

Again - caliber of competition and sample sizes, but that was my take at any rate.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
True, but in this case didn't they want to sign Schenn but he wanted to go to a winner? (Tampa).

I think he would have jumped at a 1-way offer with a slight raise if we had offered it after the season and before free agency.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The bubble players likely were going all out and that's a concern when you talk about organizational depth. The depth on the two teams the Flames iced and the one the Oilers iced outperformed the canucks depth by a fair margin.

It's fairly early but there isn't really anyone who seems to be grabbing a roster spot or even the first call up early in the season spot. Yet.

i think that's fair but the canucks were also pretty much playing shinny against teams playing a system, especially the oilers. hard on young dmen.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

not sure what they were on about but myers was very low on the list of guys to worry about last night. he is definitely a weird and sometimes disturbing player to watch though. just looks ungainly and awkward a lot.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i hate the word - fine.

It's lost any actual meaning.

everything is fine.

Eye test = fine
reality = 60% off zone starts, 30% corsi....the whole team was hemmed in all night, and obviously he looked like an NHL player compared to half the blueline.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Sutter's burst and separation he created in two strides to earn his breakaway was an incredible relief to see.

After the double hernia issue, and issues with his core etc etc, i was concerned about how he would look skating.. So he still has his speed... that's huge.

A healthy Sutter is significant.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought Myers was absolutely fine in huge minutes last night. He had one glaring turnover, but I thought he was solid aside from that.

Again - caliber of competition and sample sizes, but that was my take at any rate.

I thought Myers looked good last night for the most part and moved the puck very well ... against the sort of competition he'd normally be facing on the 3rd pairing. And even then there was one glaring turnover and one play were he was blown past on an odd-man rush that led to a post being hit.

If he's playing #5 minutes, I don't think anyone (taking aside his salary) doesn't think he can't do a solid job moving the puck from that role and bring something to the table in the short term. The issue is the terrifying plan to use him as a top-pairing shutdown guy next to Edler, and matching him up against the McDavids and Kanes and Gaudreaus of the world.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sutter's burst and separation he created in two strides to earn his breakaway was an incredible relief to see.

After the double hernia issue, and issues with his core etc etc, i was concerned about how he would look skating.. So he still has his speed... that's huge.

A healthy Sutter is significant.
I see today's 'Hockey Rumors' department has Benning and the Canucks being serious players in moving out salary for some of their bottom six forwards before the opener. So unless they have some sort of 'miracle deal' in place for Eriksson, then it's down to Sutter or Schaller.

If this is the ultimate plan, then the fact that Eriksson and Sutter have both scored so far in the pre-season and look completely healthy has to be good news for Benning.

I now a lot of pundits and posters have already consigned Gaudette to Utica. But I still think he's showed enough to be an NHL player. So something could be in the works.

Reactions: DarrenX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->