Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 2 - Jets at Oilers - 8:00 pm CT - TSN3

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
By shot metrics, Stanley was the Jets' best D and the Morrow/Stanley pairing was the Jets' best.

That surprised me a bit...

CLT crushed everyone, as usual.

gameShots-2018-09-20-2018010037-WPGatEDM.png

So .... what we can take away from that is that shot metrics are completely useless. :laugh:

Or maybe sample size really is a thing?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think KVes isn't getting enough love here. What I noticed in the 1st period was him backchecking very well. He did fade from view later in the game - but it was only his 2nd game on NA/NHL ice.

Lemieux was very good. If he can maintain his discipline Jets will be forced to make room for him before too long.

Dano has the inside track for the F vacancy. He is looking very good. Unfortunate timing for Petan. Not that there is such a thing as good timing for that, but bad luck for him that it happened exactly now. It may lead to him getting a chance somewhere else.

Reactions: LAINEC

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So what was the purpose of icing this particular squad against what the Oilers brought out to play? To purposely kick Comrie's confidence in the groin? Comrie made several great saves but all anybody will remember is seven goals against. Even with Morrissey and Trouba, not a single defenseman played like an NHLer in that game.

The real purpose of preseason games is to evaluate your young talent and prospects, and it doesn't matter if you win. If the Oilers want to ice their star players-- let them, but I'd like to see how our prospects are developing. When the Oilers come to Winnipeg, in a couple days, they won't be bringing their "big guns."

As for Comrie -- he's a bit of a swiss cheese Goalie right now, full of holes, and easy to score on. I don't think he'll be a # 1 NHL goalie for the Jets. Looks very small in the net, and lets in a lot of goals. Brossoit is the guy that will back up Hellebuyck.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Watching #8 in a Jet's jersey kinda took something out the game from me and made it less enjoyable, it makes a mockery of the franchise. He should have been traded and I hope he is traded before the puck drops in the season opener.

I can see the passionate JetsFan 815 really has a hate on for Trouba. I have to agree with Jets Fan, as I think Trouba is a bad distraction, and he thinks he's worth far more than he is. I'd rate him as upper middle type of defenseman, who had around 42 points last year, which is not bad. He's not worth the $ 8 mil that it's rumored that he's asking for. Good thing about this is Chevy knows value, and I know he won't sign him for that, and likely would go in the $ 6 to 7 mil per year range.

I think the Jets would like to keep the same team together as last year, and make a deep run in the playoffs, and collect a lot of gate playoff money. This may mean keeping Trouba around til the upcoming season ends, but his return would be less. He'd only have 1 year left as a RFA.

I wouldn't be heartbroken at all to see Trouba traded before the regular season starts, but we may have to wait til after the upcoming season ends. There's no doubt his situation has got to be toxic for the other player's heads. He's not a healthy situation to have on the Jet's hockey club in my opinion.

They should be able to get a great return for him, so they should start shopping him now. I know a lot of the fans have a hard time separating the game of hockey from the "business" of hockey, but this Trouba situation does really wear on you.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
As for Comrie -- he's a bit of a swiss cheese Goalie right now, full of holes, and easy to score on. I don't think he'll be a # 1 NHL goalie for the Jets. Looks very small in the net, and lets in a lot of goals. Brossoit is the guy that will back up Hellebuyck.
My point is how can you base such an opinion on what we've seen in the pre-season? Comrie was left out to dry by an AHL defense and ice cold Trouba-Morrissey while the Oiler's very best victimized him. Meanwhile, Brossoit had to face AHL "snipers". Comrie made far more "big" saves, but he was tagged for seven goals.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My point is how can you base such an opinion on what we've seen in the pre-season? Comrie was left out to dry by an AHL defense and ice cold Trouba-Morrissey while the Oiler's very best victimized him. Meanwhile, Brossoit had to face AHL "snipers". Comrie made far more "big" saves, but he was tagged for seven goals.

Well you do have a good point that Comrie was facing some real snipers, and not much help defensively. For myself, I'm evaluating Comrie more on what I saw of him during last season's regular games. He did not look impressive to me, and I don't feel confident with him in net--however it's just my opinion.

I think he'll need a couple more years with the Moose, and he may develop into an NHL goaltender, but right now it looks like he needs more development time, and even with that, he still may not make it to the NHL. Time will tell in his case ??

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Oiler fan in peace. I watched the game as well on TV and it sure looks like Puju has another gear. Did he look good to your eye?
I'm not sure that kid reads the ice very well. But I've seen a few great individual plays from him vs Jets.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Last September they beat us in Wpg sending just the Nuge and a bunch of scrubs.

Could happen again, however during the regular season when it really counted, we beat them quite easily. I don't think we lost to the Oilers last season in regular season play. I'd have to check ?? Either way, we won more than we lost against them.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think KVes isn't getting enough love here. What I noticed in the 1st period was him backchecking very well. He did fade from view later in the game - but it was only his 2nd game on NA/NHL ice.

Lemieux was very good. If he can maintain his discipline Jets will be forced to make room for him before too long.

Dano has the inside track for the F vacancy. He is looking very good. Unfortunate timing for Petan. Not that there is such a thing as good timing for that, but bad luck for him that it happened exactly now. It may lead to him getting a chance somewhere else.

I think people are expecting about much from Vesalainen right now. It takes a very special player to come to North America as a teenager and immediately contribute.

I'd say playing with the Moose is better for him but it seems as though he's only going to play for the Jets or in Finland this year, which is too bad.

Reactions: GNP

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Don't bring up the 1990 playoffs! ;)

The Oilers weren't as bad as they looked last year. The pendulum will swing the other way this season.

I sure hope u r right. It was very frustrating I will tell u that. Im a Green Bay Packer fan as well and both the Oilers and Packers were out in November. Very long season it was

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think people are expecting about much from Vesalainen right now. It takes a very special player to come to North America as a teenager and immediately contribute.

I'd say playing with the Moose is better for him but it seems as though he's only going to play for the Jets or in Finland this year, which is too bad.

I don't think that NHL or Finland is a given. Other players have negotiated that same out in their contracts and not used it. He said he planned on NA for this year. He didn't say NHL.

He is close to grabbing the available spot and may yet before TC is over. If not, his development will be better served with the Moose than with Jokerit. As long as he is with the Moose he has a good shot at being called up.

We don't know what he will choose. There are pros and cons.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Ves wasn't bad per se, just meh and playing not to make mistakes. He looks as if he's really focusing on being where he is supposed to be positionally, which is fine but also limits his offensive game.

He reminds me of Copp the first couple of years, good lines and decent routes, not much else.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ves wasn't bad per se, just meh and playing not to make mistakes. He looks as if he's really focusing on being where he is supposed to be positionally, which is fine but also limits his offensive game.

He reminds me of Copp the first couple of years, good lines and decent routes, not much else.

Yes and no. Agree with the bold. But he is certainly showing more than Copp did, IMO. Some offensive sparks in his first game and good positionally and defensively in the 2nd. Big body and using it well, good speed, etc.

He is in a place where he can be expected to improve from one game to the next. I think Dano is in the lead for that 12th spot right now but KV could overtake him, if given the opportunity. Then contract status may decide who stays and who goes.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yes and no. Agree with the bold. But he is certainly showing more than Copp did, IMO. Some offensive sparks in his first game and good positionally and defensively in the 2nd. Big body and using it well, good speed, etc.

He is in a place where he can be expected to improve from one game to the next. I think Dano is in the lead for that 12th spot right now but KV could overtake him, if given the opportunity. Then contract status may decide who stays and who goes.
He looks like Copp did in how he's approaching the game, being conservative. In order for him to win a spot he needs to show what he's capable of bringing. I don't disagree he can ultimately win a spot but right now Dano is bringing more and processing the game faster. That is going to be required even more when the real games begin. I don't see Ves doing that right off the hop, not would I expect it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He looks like Copp did in how he's approaching the game, being conservative. In order for him to win a spot he needs to show what he's capable of bringing. I don't disagree he can ultimately win a spot but right now Dano is bringing more and processing the game faster. That is going to be required even more when the real games begin. I don't see Ves doing that right off the hop, not would I expect it.

I agree. I don't expect it, but I expect him to get closer to it before TC ends. I only said it was possible, based on what he has shown so far. He will need to keep getting pre-season TOI to do it and that may just not happen.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Agree generally with your thoughts on Ves but have some reservation about your comparison to Copp. Thing is , Ves is doing exactly what Maurice will be looking for in TC - being positionally sound: being defensively responsible and always on the right side of the puck: showing well in board battles and play in tight areas generally: good instincts on going to the net; strong commitment to backcheck; and good composure in breakouts exiting our D zone. He has yet to show much offensively but Maurice will have lots of time for a player like him.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Andrew Copp is becoming one of my favorite players. He is such a bright solid player and does so many things right that aren’t flashy.

Nice to see he is getting some love. I think he is currently one of the most underrated Jets even without being a whipping boy like Myers.

Copp is very smart player and can compliment other players very well. He also had highly successful stints as a 1st/2nd line complimentary player with Copp-Scheifele-Laine and Ehlers-Copp-Laine. Not meaning he is better than Ehlers or Little overall, but somehow it fitted like glove there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nice to see that line back to their old tricks.

Also interesting on the Stanley thing, I didn't watch the third as closely but I definitely felt like he had been OK through 2 despite being on ice for each of the goals against.
I think Stanley's challenges were noticeable, but not entirely on him, and most of the game he was better than I expected against NHL speed (and McDavid).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So .... what we can take away from that is that shot metrics are completely useless. :laugh:

Or maybe sample size really is a thing?
Or that other than a couple of "big events" (that weren't entirely on him), Stanley held up okay against the Oilers and their speed.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad