Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 2 - Jets at Oilers - 8:00 pm CT - TSN3

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Again I agree with the Turtle here, and I never thought I'd say that about Dano, as I've been trashing him on these forums, but he has looked impressive. Maybe there is hope for Marco ???
He scored a nice goal, but all I can think of is his uber-mediocre production from the past couple of years. I'd prefer to have Lemieux get a shot in the lineup... I think there's more upside there.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Watching #8 in a Jets jersey kinda took something out the game from me and made it less enjoyable, it makes a mockery of the franchise. He should have been traded and I hope he is traded before the puck drops in the season opener.
That's a little harsh, but he was awful in that game. He should be considered a veteran now, and for all his agent's demands, his play is unacceptable. I realize that it's pre-season, but I wasn't that impressed with him in the playoffs either. He needs to step up this season.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He scored a nice goal, but all I can think of is his uber-mediocre production from the past couple of years. I'd prefer to have Lemieux get a shot in the lineup... I think there's more upside there.

I like Lemieux as well, and maybe they should rotate them all year ? They could compete for that spot, and see who does better. I'd especially like to see Lemieux in if we're playing rougher teams that like to get physical.

I'm not sold on Dano yet, as he really hasn't showed much in the last 2 years. Maybe he's turned a corner, and upped his game ? Time will tell.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Saw oilers in Vancouver the other night. Other than poolparty no one really stood out. I thought Yamamoto was disappointing. But am sure he will pick it up vs jets.

We were pretty high in the nosebleeds so not the best views.

Oiler fan in peace. I watched the game as well on TV and it sure looks like Puju has another gear. Did he look good to your eye?

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
Exhibition games are a time to evaluate all players.
Bud Grant coach of the Bombers had a great team but wanted to look at all the rookies.
He lost the game 52-0 but still won the Grey Cup that year.
Could be totally wrong, but as long as I remember the Jets also sucked year ago on TC. When the regular season started, it was whole another ball game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oiler fan in peace. I watched the game as well on TV and it sure looks like Puju has another gear. Did he look good to your eye?
He looked quite fast, but mostly against AHL-level defense. It's hard to really assess based on these lopsided pre-season games. McDavid and Draisaitl's lines feasted on the Jets' AHLers, but got hemmed in their own zone consistently by the Jets' regular shutdown line (Copp-Lowry-Tanev).

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He looked quite fast, but mostly against AHL-level defense. It's hard to really assess based on these lopsided pre-season games. McDavid and Draisaitl's lines feasted on the Jets' AHLers, but got hemmed in their own zone consistently by the Jets' regular shutdown line (Copp-Lowry-Tanev).

Thx. I really like him . He was great in World Jrs.
I agree with ya on line-up . You guys were missing all your A players. I just hope for a better year. I thought the Jets were gonna win the cup last year.
I noticed on the board lots of hate for the Oilers. I would really like for both teams to succeed . There was nothing better than Jets-Oilers-Flames in 80’s. The Jets had us 3-1 in 1990 in our cup year. The Jets had some great players. I loved the white-out. It was awesome. There were no ads on the boards back then so everything was white.

Good luck in the season

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Dano and Lemieux both stood out to me and I think we could do well with either in the lineup this year. I'm leaning towards lemieux simply because he adds another facet to the game other than good hockey skills. He's really changed my opinion of him this TC.

I'd like to see Roslovic center some good NHL'ers. He is turning into an awesome player, and I think he is at least even with Little if not better already. I have high, high hopes for that kid.

On a side note, how are the Oilers evaluating their youth by playing that lineup and especially in the third period where they were simply racking up the score? It will serve them right when the regular season starts.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Copp - Lowry - Tanev: Their cycling was impressive. Stretches of dominance. Was the best line

Lemieux - Griffith - Dano: Dano is continuing to impress now that he's lighter. Just seems way quicker and its allowing him to put himself in good spots to contribute. Lemieux had a solid game, I thought. He's a little scary on the PK, but that can be tought. His penalty was a big reason that game got away from them. Griffith reminds me of a more assertive Petan. Could be great depth if needed to be called upon.

Vesalainen - Roslovic - Appleton: Didn't really notice them much. Vesalainen definitely struggled with the increased speed. He probably needs a year in the AHL if I'm being honest. Dano has . He's quick but I think he still needs to get a bit faster. Appleton needs to work on his skating... not noticeable in a good way. Roslo was decent. Still not 100% on him as a centre... but it's also only 2 games in.

4th line:
I thought Dennis Everberg was a nice suprise. Liked his game... didn't love it... but didn't mind it. Spacek with two penalties that were a result of positioning.

Morrissey-#8: Bit rough.... but it's the first game and didn't have much help from their forward corps. Trouba was horri-bad.

Stanley-Morrow: Feel bad for Logan Stanley.. he got burnt tonight. Confident he'll take ti in stride and learn from it. Morrow was decent.. but couldn't carry Stanley

Niku-Poolman: Poolman had a much better game than his first. Niku with a dirt-nasty setup.

Comrie- He honesty looked better, but his team kinda hung him out to dry a bit. Still... a bit troubling that any NHL action he sees results in him getting lit up...minus that one LA game.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
On the Puljujarvi's walk in goal, blamed it all on Stanley, but upon review, Morrow gets tripped up at the blue line which opened up the whole right side, Stanley is protecting the left side, and has little chance to swing over to plug the hole.

Vesalainen was called on a similar play

Reactions: ps241 and gerbrown

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That's a little harsh, but he was awful in that game. He should be considered a veteran now, and for all his agent's demands, his play is unacceptable. I realize that it's pre-season, but I wasn't that impressed with him in the playoffs either. He needs to step up this season.

I don't think the poster you quoted was disappointed seeing him because of his play, but I agree with you in that he was not great, nor Morrissey. I don't worry about it because it's pre-season, but he didn't stand out in a good way either.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I don't think the poster you quoted was disappointed seeing him because of his play, but I agree with you in that he was not great, nor Morrissey. I don't worry about it because it's pre-season, but he didn't stand out in a good way either.

There were also rumors about Jacob Trouba's conditioning/shape... Wonder if there is any truth to that

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Thx. I really like him . He was great in World Jrs.
I agree with ya on line-up . You guys were missing all your A players. I just hope for a better year. I thought the Jets were gonna win the cup last year.
I noticed on the board lots of hate for the Oilers. I would really like for both teams to succeed . There was nothing better than Jets-Oilers-Flames in 80’s. The Jets had us 3-1 in 1990 in our cup year. The Jets had some great players. I loved the white-out. It was awesome. There were no ads on the boards back then so everything was white.

Good luck in the season
Don't bring up the 1990 playoffs! ;)

The Oilers weren't as bad as they looked last year. The pendulum will swing the other way this season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
On the Puljujarvi's walk in goal, blamed it all on Stanley, but upon review, Morrow gets tripped up at the blue line which opened up the whole right side, Stanley is protecting the left side, and has little chance to swing over to plug the hole.

Vesalainen was called on a similar play
I agree. It made Stanley look really bad. PJ started up the R side, so Stanley was appropriately holding the left lanes, and would have expected that his D partner was protecting more of the middle lanes. PJ swooped into the gap in the middle at the blueline around Stanley, but normally Morrow should have been closing that off.

Stanley had a rough night, but still showed some positive improvements from a year ago.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People shouldn't put much stock in how the incumbents look in preseason. They are largely going through the motions and working themselves into game shape. There were numerous times where JoMo and Trouba didn't engage like they would in the regular season. Morrissey was also not going out of his way to block shots as it's preseason. I expect both to hit the ground running this year when the regular season kicks off. Josh looks quicker and more confident with the pick so that should help with the offense this year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I agree. It made Stanley look really bad. PJ started up the R side, so Stanley was appropriately holding the left lanes, and would have expected that his D partner was protecting more of the middle lanes. PJ swooped into the gap in the middle at the blueline around Stanley, but normally Morrow should have been closing that off.

Stanley had a rough night, but still showed some positive improvements from a year ago.

The bouncing puck with McDavid coming full throttle at you, is going to be a nightmare for even a seasoned veteran Dman, he blew his assignment on a third goal though.

He will benefit heavily from a full season in the A, playing top minutes.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Think there's a bit too much slagging of Trouba. There were some glaring bobbles of the puck and giveaways, but generally I think he was skating really well, was all over the place, and easily our second best D-man out there last night. Was he on the ice for more than one goal against? (where the hell are we getting on-ice game stats this year anyway?)

edit: 2 apparently; Poolman 1GA; Morrow 4GA

edit2: naturalstattrick has is as 3-1-3....but I remember Morrow being on the ice for goal #4...Stanley had gone to the bench for Morrissey. Anyone confirm?

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
By shot metrics, Stanley was the Jets' best D and the Morrow/Stanley pairing was the Jets' best.

That surprised me a bit...

CLT crushed everyone, as usual.

gameShots-2018-09-20-2018010037-WPGatEDM.png

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Don't bring up the 1990 playoffs! ;)

The Oilers weren't as bad as they looked last year. The pendulum will swing the other way this season.

U never know. U guys have a great team for sure. I watched Ehlers in Halifax for a few years. He is the real deal. We are still another good D away. Also, we need some snipers for Drai. Here is too the old rivarly

Reactions: Hulide

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
By shot metrics, Stanley was the Jets' best D and the Morrow/Stanley pairing was the Jets' best.

I thought Stanley played alright for the most part. trouba on the other hand besides all bad play kept bobbling pucks completely wiffed on a point shot on the pp looked like me when I started playing golf. horrible horrible game.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

Nice to see that line back to their old tricks.

Also interesting on the Stanley thing, I didn't watch the third as closely but I definitely felt like he had been OK through 2 despite being on ice for each of the goals against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->