Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 2 - Jets at Oilers - 8:00 pm CT - TSN3

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
GAME NOTES

The Winnipeg Jets play their first road game of the 2018 pre-season when they travel to Edmonton to take on the Oilers at Rogers Place...The Jets defeated the Minnesota Wild 2-1 on Monday night at Bell MTS Place to begin their seven-game pre-season slate...Winnipeg is back home Friday to welcome the Calgary Flames for its third game of the pre-season.

Second Act

Aside from having the same goaltending tandem as Monday's game against Minnesota, 10 players that suited up on Monday are scheduled to play tonight, including four of the six defencemen - Tucker Poolman, Logan Stanley, Joe Morrow, and Sami Niku...Forwards Seth Griffith, Jack Roslovic, Kristian Vesalainen, Brendan Lemieux, Marko Dano, and Mason Appleton are playing their second game as well.

Impressive Impression

Goaltender Laurent Brossoit, who was signed as a free agent on July 1 after playing the first five seasons of his professional career in the Oilers organization, stopped 39 of 40 shots in Monday's win against Minnesota in his Jets pre-season debut...In 28 regular season games with the Oilers, he made 39 or more saves only once - his NHL debut on Apr. 9/15 at SJS when he stopped 49 of 51 shots.

First Tallies

The Jets received their two goals in Monday's win from unlikely sources, as Marko Dano and Joe Morrow did the scoring...Dano had two goals in 23 games last season, while Morrow had six goals in 56 games with the Jets and Montreal Canadiens.

Orange Crushed

The Jets went a perfect 3-0 against the Oilers last season, including a pair of victories in Edmonton...The Jets outscored the Oilers 14-5 in the three games...Nikolaj Ehlers (3G, 2A) and Blake Wheeler (1G, 4A) paced the Jets against the Oilers last season with five points in three games...Ehlers had a hat trick in Winnipeg's first win of the season on Oct. 9 in Edmonton...Mark Scheifele also had four points (1G, 3A) in two games against Edmonton last season...The Jets are 8-5-0 in their last 13 regular season games against the Oilers...Since the franchise relocated to Winnipeg in 2011, Wheeler leads the Jets in scoring against Edmonton with 14 points (2G, 14A) in 16 games.

Road Start

For the first time since 2016, the Jets start the regular season on the road, as they begin the 2018-19 campaign at Enterprise Center in St. Louis against the Blues on Oct. 4 and follow up with their second game in Dallas against the Stars on Oct. 6...However, Winnipeg plays the bulk of their October schedule at Bell MTS Place, as the team has seven of their first 10 games at home...The Jets have a season-high six-game homestand from Oct. 14-24.

Pre-Season Sked

Starting tonight, the Jets begin a stretch of six games in eight days, including three back-to-back sets ...Winnipeg plays their usual pre-season counterparts twice each - Minnesota, Calgary, and Edmonton - and host the New Jersey Devils on Sept. 27 in their lone pre-season game against an Eastern Conference opponent.

Euro Bound

Both the Jets and the Oilers are scheduled to play in Europe during the regular season, albeit against different opponents...The Oilers are slated to play the New Jersey Devils in Gothenburg, Sweden to open the regular season on Oct. 6, while the Jets are scheduled to face the Florida Panthers in Helsinki, Finland on Nov. 1 and 2.

VIEW FULL GAME NOTES

Game 2 Roster.png

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'd like to see Roslovic with Dano. Actually, I'd like to see Dano get to play with both Roslo and MP to see how it looks, but this is a close 2nd.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Thinking they'll go:

Vesalainen Roslovic Dano
Copp Lowry Tanev
Lemieux Appleton Spacek
Everberg Griffith Lipon

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Morrow
Stanley Poolman

Comrie​

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm assuming the Oil will dress a bunch of regulars. It will be a decent test for a number rod our kids.

I'm expecting our vets to all just work their way back into game shape.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I really want Niku to make the team out of camp but I don't think that happens unless he wows. I wouldn't mind Chia being our 7/depth - I think he's gotta be better than average in the league in that role.

Niku being ready this year would make me feel a lot better about the loss of Toby and the impending loss of JT. He looks so poised with the puck, I know there will be some oops with his style but I never mind that from a player when they are mistakes of youthful exuberance and they are ready to learn.

Not sure why anyone would pick Brossoit over Comrie already - we know Eric has struggled but goalies get better and Brossoit has played exactly one preseason game for us so far. I'd like to see what happens in the rest of preseason but if it continues this way LB is the obvious choice to back up Helle.

I don't think Vesy should make the team just due to us having to make some tough decisions on others, and his contract status. I'd really like to see him stay with the Moose rather than play overseas. He could get a call up or two this way and play in Winnipeg with the org.

This is unlikely. He is Jets or Finland, IMO. I don't think he is Jets ready. As long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games this year his contract slides so I think he should be back in Europe for the year. He is likely NHL either way next year, IMO.

I pick Broissoit over Comrie not based on one game but rather his extensive resume that is far more impressive that Comrie who has been outplayed by 3 different goalies over the past 3 years in AHL (Hellebuyck, Pavelec, Hutchinson). Broissoit is a guy who has worked his way up outplaying all competitors to the NHL including a very impressive NHL stint before last year's Oilers debacle.

Chiarot is not better than the average #7. At best he is average for a #7. We tend to look on Jets players with blue coloured glasses but at BEST he is league average as a #7. More realistically he is the type that most teams stash in AHL as an emergency 8/9. He is an ok player but if he's an everyday player you have trouble on your blueline. Same with Morrow albeit I rank Morrow a little higher since he moves the puck better.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
If McDavid is playing, they'll get a solid 5 or 6 past Comrie.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is unlikely. He is Jets or Finland, IMO. I don't think he is Jets ready. As long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games this year his contract slides so I think he should be back in Europe for the year. He is likely NHL either way next year, IMO.

I pick Broissoit over Comrie not based on one game but rather his extensive resume that is far more impressive that Comrie who has been outplayed by 3 different goalies over the past 3 years in AHL (Hellebuyck, Pavelec, Hutchinson). Broissoit is a guy who has worked his way up outplaying all competitors to the NHL including a very impressive NHL stint before last year's Oilers debacle.

Chiarot is not better than the average #7. At best he is average for a #7. We tend to look on Jets players with blue coloured glasses but at BEST he is league average as a #7. More realistically he is the type that most teams stash in AHL as an emergency 8/9. He is an ok player but if he's an everyday player you have trouble on your blueline. Same with Morrow albeit I rank Morrow a little higher since he moves the puck better.

1> That's too bad - I think the Moose would be the best place for a guy who already has many tools, with his biggest deficiency being his exposure to the N/A game. Obviously from a player management side (and where the Jets are on their competitiveness cycle) it makes the most sense to let KV develop another year.
2> Thanks for that update - I'll be honest, I don't know much about LB so I will defer to you on that.
3> Sorry, you and I will never agree on Chiarot. You really dislike him as a player - one thing I will say about you Holden is when you feel a certain way about a player (love or hate) you do not hold back. Chiarot did really good work in the playoffs last year. I thought he steadily improved and had his moments. At the end of the day, he is what he is - a serviceable 6/7. I think a Jets team with him and Joe Morrow sitting in the PB as injury replacements is set up pretty well to weather any injuries on D.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Would LOVE to watch the game but the NHL and TSN in their wisdom geo block the local broadcast. Here in BC I am not allowed to watch the Winnipeg feed. Stupid.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Saw oilers in Vancouver the other night. Other than poolparty no one really stood out. I thought Yamamoto was disappointing. But am sure he will pick it up vs jets.

We were pretty high in the nosebleeds so not the best views.

Reactions: JetsUK

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Would LOVE to watch the game but the NHL and TSN in their wisdom geo block the local broadcast. Here in BC I am not allowed to watch the Winnipeg feed. Stupid.

Can you login in to TSN and enter your account and watch?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm more worried about Comrie than our skaters vs. the Oilers. I hope he looks more solid than he has in previous NHL-level competition.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
On paper the Jets line up looks pretty weak, but then I thought the same about the Iowa ooops Minnesota Wild that played on Monday and they played pretty damn hard. 80% of these guys are fighting for a couple of spots in the regular line up and that can make them crank up their effort and play much harder to prove themselves. Don't be surprised if this game is a lot closer than people think.

Viktor Vaughn

Apr 7, 2018
Get the app from r/nhl_games and watch it from your computer in full quality.

Reactions: Heldig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad