GDT: Pre-Season #7: Mon, Sept. 30, 2019, FLYERS at Lausanne Hockey Club, 2:00 pm ET

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Try to imagine the reaction if Ghost had screened Hart on a goal against for no conceivable reason.

ksxaLj.gif

If Niskanen is the 3rd option on PPs and late game "need a goal" situations, I'm going to be watching a lot of junior hockey this year.

Nevermind number 2 who has been a disaster with the puck.

Sanheim is a peacock, you gotta keep him caged.

Top 5 trade destinations?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
It's curious how far people will go to blame Hagg for all of this teams problems while blatantly ignoring other major mistakes during the game. Myers has been brutal all pre-season and has actually been outplayed by Hagg.

Hagg shouldnt be anywhere near the starting line-up, and yet here we are again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's curious how far people will go to blame Hagg for all of this teams problems while blatantly ignoring other major mistakes during the game. Myers has been brutal all pre-season and has actually been outplayed by Hagg.

Hagg shouldnt be anywhere near the starting line-up, and yet here we are again.

Myers has taken a good share of heat and just about everyone is let down.

Just about every metric has him outperforming Hagg all the same.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Are you superstitious? Almost exactly to the day 10 years ago, another NHL team lost a preseason game in Switzerland. At the end of the season, they were Stanley Cup champions...

Anyway, I'm glad that I got my Voracek shirt signed. It was worth waiting for the players and getting home after 2am.

kuba.jpg

Side note: during warmups, Giroux gave a puck to a kid next to me. The kid didn't have a sign or something and was even wearing a Capitals jersey. He almost had tears in his eyes. Great gesture by your captain! :clap:

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Didnt get to watch was travelling. Am I missing something here, is it not absurd that the flyers didn’t win this game? I can’t see how the big ice would make that big of a difference

Well, in general it is said that bigger ice exposes the weaker team. In this case of course one has to keep in mind that Lausanne was being used to it and the possible jet lag had its influence. But nevertheless Lausanne is a team below AHL level. Can´t fall behind like this by any means. It will most likely be another brutal season.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Would you believe Ghost’s bad coverage WAS mentioned and deemed a bad play?

Would you believe Sanheim did miss an empty net on a rolling puck? That’s not even a mental error. I’m sure the “Internet scouts” with the beer league scoring touch of Brett Hull would’ve roofed a bouncing puck.

Screening your goalie because you have the hockey IQ of a pet rock and a 150 game NHL sample of being one of the worst in the league, with scant redeemable qualities, seems like less grounds for nitpicking, if you ask me. But god bless your charitable nature for the less talent fortunate.

It wasn't much of a screen, Hart still had a clean look.
Hart looked like a kid who had never experienced jet lag and just "wasn't there."

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It wasn't much of a screen, Hart still had a clean look.
Hart looked like a kid who had never experienced jet lag and just "wasn't there."

I didn't watch the game, but if Tripods picture isnt altered in anyway (and I assume its not), thats not "a clean look"...like, at all. This was a terrible screen and theres absolutely no reason for Hagg to be standing directly in front of the goalie on a shot from the blue line when theres no one from the opposition standing near the crease.

His direct line of sight goes in to Haggs helmet, at best.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
When did I ever use it as an excuse for the loss? Dont put words in my mouth.
No offense. Usually whenever anyone comes up with officiating it is (at least partially) meant this way. Else there would be no reason mentioning.
I just don´t like always putting the blame upon the same scapegoats (i.e. referees, Hägg). So maybe I was wrong with my interpretation if it wasn´t intended this way.

Reactions: Rebels57

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Score aside the Flyers were dominated. I could do nothing but chuckle watching this team compete.
It's a different game on international sized rinks. You need to move your feet much more and play east-west and not only skate to the blue-line and dump it in or wall the puck out of your defensive zone.

I'm not a Flyers-fan but I think the season will be okay for you guys despite of this.

Hopefully this game showed some American narcissists that European hockey isn't bad by any stretch.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's a different game on international sized rinks. You need to move your feet much more and play east-west and not only skate to the blue-line and dump it in or wall the puck out of your defensive zone.

I'm not a Flyers-fan but I think the season will be okay for you guys despite of this.

Hopefully this game showed some American narcissists that Euroepan hockey isn't bad by any stretch.

You know who are really bad are those Portuguese narcissists.

_95390528_ronaldobust.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I didn't watch the game, but if Tripods picture isnt altered in anyway (and I assume its not), thats not "a clean look"...like, at all. This was a terrible screen and theres absolutely no reason for Hagg to be standing directly in front of the goalie on a shot from the blue line when theres no one from the opposition standing near the crease.

His direct line of sight goes in to Haggs helmet, at best.
Of course it wasn't altered. And only an idiot would say it wasn't much of a screen and Hart had a clean look. You can see by the picture he didn't.

But it does show what certain people will go thru to defend Hagg. Interesting....GB watched the whole game but "missed" the goal and DH said Hart had a clean look.

Par for the course for those 2.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Of course it wasn't altered. And only an idiot would say it wasn't much of a screen and Hart had a clean look. You can see by the picture he didn't.

But it does show what certain people will go thru to defend Hagg. Interesting....GB watched the whole game but "missed" the goal and DH said Hart had a clean look.

Par for the course for those 2.

Was just covering bases for a "thats not how it happened" kinda thing. I had no doubts that you simply snapped a picture of your TV. The bias is strong.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Watching game now. First 4 minutes were fine until the 1st goal. Lazy D by Jake on the breakout. Poor D by Ghost after the shot. Poor rebound by Hart.

Absolutely.

Ghost could have been better on that play. He gave Herren too much space and could have helped more on that goofy rebound off Hart's mask.

But that play doesn't even happen if, 150 feet away, Jake doesn't do a gliding "forecheck" that put him on the wrong side of Herren and allowed the breakout.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think the lesson in this is that no matter how much money you make or how good you think you are if you don't come to play you can get beat by a team that literally isn't in your league. Sad we had to learn this the hard way. Hopefully they take this lesson to heart and we see a better more consistent team going forward

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No offense. Usually whenever anyone comes up with officiating it is (at least partially) meant this way. Else there would be no reason mentioning.
I just don´t like always putting the blame upon the same scapegoats (i.e. referees, Hägg). So maybe I was wrong with my interpretation if it wasn´t intended this way.

It's all good. I wasn't insinuating we lost because of the officiating..just that they weren't good. My favorite was when Lauzanne very obviously cleared a puck over the glass in the defensive zone and the refs just pretended it never happened.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
3) After Monday's loss in Lausanne, Vigneault, for the second time in the preseason, said he needed to see a little more from the veteran core of the team. He did so without naming any names or issuing outright threats.

"Right now we have a few younger players that are playing extremely hard and very competitive. I need to find out a little bit more of some of our older guys, what they can do, what they can bring to the table. And we will," Vigneault told NHL.com's Adam Kimelman.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Hart looked like he was back at Whole Foods, feeling the melons.

On the jet lag thing, didn't he play in Europe just four months ago?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
3) After Monday's loss in Lausanne, Vigneault, for the second time in the preseason, said he needed to see a little more from the veteran core of the team. He did so without naming any names or issuing outright threats.

"Right now we have a few younger players that are playing extremely hard and very competitive. I need to find out a little bit more of some of our older guys, what they can do, what they can bring to the table. And we will," Vigneault told NHL.com's Adam Kimelman.

Welcome to a completely normal phenomenon in preseason. It's leaguewide, and has happened for as long as preseason has existed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad