GDT: Pre-Season #3: Thu., Sept. 19, 2019, Bruins at FLYERS, 7:00 pm ET

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'll ask again after ~20 Games of the regular season, but I'm curious to see how people would describe Vigneault's system so far.

This is not a good/bad/positive/negative question. I'm asking for specific qualities.
Overload, risk/reward, quick transition, man-on-man defense.

Alain Vigneault's system

FYI it took the Rangers the better part of October 2013 to adjust to it, so if you see a lot of running around in the D zone, you're just gonna have to give it some time. I had a "Suck Bad 4 Ekblad" avatar at one point, and the team ended up in the Finals.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

Alain Vigneault's system

FYI it took the Rangers the better part of October 2013 to adjust to it, so if you see a lot of running around in the D zone, you're just gonna have to give it some time. I had a "Suck Bad 4 Ekblad" avatar at one point, and the team ended up in the Finals.
Much thanks for the info. This does not bode well for us.
This team has consistently struggled with the short pass game for years.
And theyre slow to recover when/if the overload gets broken. Too many desperation dives or just an overall lack of awareness.
We still are not anything close to a fast team collectively as well which makes me wonder how we'll take advantage of the turnovers the overload should create

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Much thanks for the info. This does not bode well for us.
This team has consistently struggled with the short pass game for years.
And theyre slow to recover when/if the overload gets broken. Too many desperation dives or just an overall lack of awareness.
We still are not anything close to a fast team collectively as well which makes me wonder how we'll take advantage of the turnovers the overload should create
I mean Idk what he has in mind for the Flyers, that's just generally what he brought to New York.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I mean Idk what he has in mind for the Flyers, that's just generally what he brought to New York.
Yeah im just talking out loud tbh. Obviously the hope is he's tailored his system to this personel group.

Im not nervous at all.
giphy.gif

Reactions: aufheben

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
Frost having a good game is nice. Feels like Farabee is losing some momentum as camp continues though. Needs to turn it up a notch if he wants to earn a spot.
But Farabee is supposed to take Konecnys spot on the top line because konecny can't play. Ha ha ha

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's in there, he's in the battles?

Certain posters must be creaming themselves over these words :laugh:

Anyway. Happy to hear that about a goner. His trade value must be higher now ;)
I really should go back and find all those “goner” posts and the posts from people who spent so much time arguing with me about it...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think he's gone. Not happy at all about it because it seems like such a waste of an asset and a pick. This team has become so friggin soft he's exactly what they need and the luxury that he could be used as a 7th dman to slowly integrate him into the lineup would be great. Its been almost unbearable watching how this team has played with no passion at home over the past few years and how we get intimidated by certain teams. They need a Morin imo especially with Simmonds and Gudas gone but its not looking good. Easy for new management to cut bait and I have sick feeling that's what their trying to do. Hopefully i'm wrong

Both he and Hagg have each played 1 game. The battle for #7 dman is far from over.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I forgot to mention this earlier, but does anyone else think Morin not dressing tonight is a negative sign for him? That kid needs all the minutes he can get this preseason.

It's a negative if he doesn't play on Saturday.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Alain Vigneault's system

I believe I looked this up at one point, but if I remember correctly...through his first 22 games in both Vancouver and New York, his teams had only won 11 games, and then after that they each won ~35 of their final 60.

I’m not expecting instant results, and there will be some patience involved.

EDIT: Yup, just looked it up.

In Vancouver, 11-10-1 to start, 38-16-6 after, first in Northwest, second round.

In NY, 11-11-0 followed by 34-20-6, second in Metro, Stanley Cup Finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: aufheben

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I believe I looked this up at one point, but if I remember correctly...through his first 22 games in both Vancouver and New York, his teams had only won 11 games, and then after that they each won ~35 of their final 60.

I’m not expecting instant results, and there will be some patience involved.

But will Scott when we go 0-5-5 in the first 10 games until "we get our crap together" ?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Crazy how much people are still invested in Morin, never has he proven to be more than a dime a dozen player. 6 years later and draft pedigree is still strong with this one.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Alain Vigneault's system

Nice article. The overload concept is analogous to an aggressive 1-3-1 trap in basketball, where the weakside forward MUST rotate down or else you’re doomed. There’s always a transition to getting them to do it automatically.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Nice article. The overload concept is analogous to an aggressive 1-3-1 trap in basketball, where the weakside forward MUST rotate down or else you’re doomed. There’s always a transition to getting them to do it automatically.
Players gotta do the job and we know how that works out in Philly.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Crazy how much people are still invested in Morin, never has he proven to be more than a dime a dozen player. 6 years later and draft pedigree is still strong with this one.

There's nothing wrong for rooting for a player and for hoping that for the first time in his career, a player that's worth than him (Hagg) is not above him on the Depth Chart.

We've covered this topic a million times, but Morin should have been a bottom pairing regular 2 seasons ago and was robbed of it by Hakstol/Hextall, then last season he suffered a season ending injury before getting a chance to lock down a spot.

He's gotten a raw deal here. No one expects him to be a high impact player, but he can definitely be a good bottom pairing defensemen still. Right now I will settle for #7 dman and ahead of the dumpster fire that is Hagg.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Players gotta do the job and we know how that works out in Philly.
Guys like Voracek & JVR better learn. You can’t have holes in your system, & we’ve had them far too long.

Voracek worries me most, coverage wise.

Braun looks like a stud & everything this team needed on D.

Ghost still looks like he can’t get past 3rd gear skating & it concerns me.

The kids aren’t there yet. Which is disappointing. Andreoff hasn’t done enough. I’m not happy with how the roster battles are going.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
There's nothing wrong for rooting for a player and for hoping that for the first time in his career, a player that's worth than him (Hagg) is not above him on the Depth Chart.

We've covered this topic a million times, but Morin should have been a bottom pairing regular 2 seasons ago and was robbed of it by Hakstol/Hextall, then last season he suffered a season ending injury before getting a chance to lock down a spot.

He's gotten a raw deal here. No one expects him to be a high impact player, but he can definitely be a good bottom pairing defensemen still. Right now I will settle for #7 dman and ahead of the dumpster fire that is Hagg.
You claim he can be good bottom pairing dman. We don't know that yet and no matter how upset we were over other fringe players lack of chances none of them has left to prove hexy wrong. You replace Hagg with Morin and it doesn't move needle either way for this team and that says it all about either of them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You claim he can be good bottom pairing dman. We don't know that yet and no matter how upset we were over other fringe players lack of chances none of them has left to prove hexy wrong. You replace Hagg with Morin and it doesn't move needle either way for this team.

Every time I see him play, he plays better than Hagg. This goes back to when they were both Phantoms. That's all I care about. The best players playing.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Guys like Voracek & JVR better learn. You can’t have holes in your system, & we’ve had them far too long.

Voracek worries me most, coverage wise.

Braun looks like a stud & everything this team needed on D.

Ghost still looks like he can’t get past 3rd gear skating & it concerns me.

The kids aren’t there yet. Which is disappointing. Andreoff hasn’t done enough. I’m not happy with how the roster battles are going.
No this team is always stagnat. Bruins played a hard working game getting ready for the season and the Flyers looked like gm 73 last year beat everywhere skating and board battles lost all night long that led to shots on goal. AV has his work cut out as these players that make this TEAM is nothing like he had in NY of VAN. Leadership is a ?.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad