Pre-GDT - Opening Night. Red Wings @ Predators. Saturday

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
As bad as this team, without firsts, etc, we still managed to hit homeruns with Larkin, Athanasiou, Mantha and Bertuzzi.
We had Zetterberg for two of the three years.
We had Tatar for most of two years and Nyquist for parts of two years.

I've seen worse teams.

Blashill isn't some kind of hero for the job he's done.
a slow as molasses z . soft as satin nyquist . and one dimensional tats . with a nhl worst d to boot . those rosters were supposed to stack up better than who exactly ? now go thru rst of those rosters of abs-helms-neilsen-ericsson-howard-etc , nobody could get those teams anywhere . but kenny had amassed his favorite country club membership group ever . im not a huge blash backer , im not convinced hes smart enough to be a high level nhl coach . not convinced hes a great leader . but nobody could get his past rosters very far , and hes obviously done a good job with the newbies . a role i see him as perfectly suited for , players coach , as opposed to a psycho biscuit type hard coach like a q or torts . but time shall tell how good a leader and he did it in grand rapids so maybe hes got the touch . ive not writ him off yet

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Remind me again who the "virus expert" was around here who claimed the Red Wings, their medical staff, and Green's doctors had no clue what they were talking about when they said they expected Green to be ready to start the season and based on him being such an expert on everything, Green was likely to start the season on LTIR?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
As bad as this team, without firsts, etc, we still managed to hit homeruns with Larkin, Athanasiou, Mantha and Bertuzzi.
We had Zetterberg for two of the three years.
We had Tatar for most of two years and Nyquist for parts of two years.

I've seen worse teams.

Nobody is calling Blashill a hero. I'm just not calling for his job because he couldn't make the playoffs with an aging superstar, a bunch of secondary pieces, and a few prospects who hadn't hit their stride yet.

And yeah, we got guys in 2013 and beyond. Don't you think the potential talent of the team might be increased if we had started a rebuild earlier and kept some of those 1sts from before then and actually landed on any of the 1sts we kept, giving us a better chance at a top-tier player? Isn't that kind of what many of us have argued to criticize Holland?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nobody said he's a hero. Or that he deserves an extension. Or even that he shouldn't get any heat this year.

There's a wide spectrum in between "he's completely safe" and "he's as good as fired". Don't create a false dichotomy where there isn't one.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Do you guys feel Cholowski will be better on the first unit than Hronek? Forwhatever reason I thought Hronek was going to be the man.
They really want Cholowski's left hand shot to feed Mantha one timers on the PP.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well, they sort of are. Across sports, the idea of tanking to accumulate high picks has made losing a lot more palatable than in the past.

If Blashill is fired I think it's going to be for one of two reasons. One, someone unquestionably better comes along. Two, something that is not his win/loss record.

It'll be a reason beyond his record. Maybe they think he lost the locker room. Maybe he accidentally runs over Marian Ilitch's dog. But if the Wings have a bad roster, and everyone admits it, and he gets out of that roster what can reasonably be expected, I'm not sure why his missing the playoffs is unexpected or cause for firing. It might have been in the past but crappy teams with a new coach were still crappy teams.

The Wings missed the playoffs left and right and went through coaches like crazy in the 1970s. They were still lousy teams every year regardless of who was behind the bench.

Coaches have shelf lives
Coaches who lose have shorter shelf lives.
Losing and losing and losing is bad for morale. It breeds more losing.
By hiring a new coach, you're at least changing the dynamic. Getting fresh eyes and fresh approaches.
You're also telling your young guys that losing is not acceptable and that it has consquences.

I've got lots of reasons, beyond losing, to fire Blashill.

But based on NHL history, the fact that Blashill's already coming back fir a fourth year after three years out of the playoffs, is fairly remarkable.

And should tell you he's on thin ice in Detroit - regardless of Yzerman's comments about patience and regardless of the roster.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Remind me again who the "virus expert" was around here who claimed the Red Wings, their medical staff, and Green's doctors had no clue what they were talking about when they said they expected Green to be ready to start the season and based on him being such an expert on everything, Green was likely to start the season on LTIR?
lol . i vaguely remember the schooling the redwings medical staff got :laugh:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Shaman.

E: I just know he was the one you got in the argument with a few months ago about Mike Green, idk about what he said exactly and that is your recollection of events.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad