Pre-GDT - Opening Night. Red Wings @ Predators. Saturday

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2019-10-3_12-34-46.png

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Our second line is very underwhelming. Lineups like that make me miss having Tatar and Nyquist. Instead we’ve got Glendening playing on the 2nd line. But I’m preaching to the choir.

Might end up missing the opener which sucks, but I’m excited for some Wings hockey!!

LGRW!

Reactions: jkutswings

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Great news on Larkin.
That first power play unit is awesome. The second is embarrassing.
Once AA is back, he's likely to supplant Flip (slot) or Nielsen (half-wall) & then there's 3 shooters, not too bad. Right now it's 2 shooters (Hronek & Green), 2 playmakers & a net front, so shots from the left half wall, Left/Right pt. and slot. Should be "interesting", but they should be ok defensively with 2 D & 2 C's that are decent in their own zone, plus all 5 guys can skate.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Looks like a 1st line and three 4th lines.

Excited for the season to start though. Cholo is my player to watch. Could be such a differencemaker for us.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
9 game win streak vs Pekka Rinne on the line assuming he starts (yes, that's actually true believe it or not, the Red Wings have beaten him 9 straight times)

5 game win streak in Nashville on the line as well.

The last time Detroit lost in Nashville was December 30th, 2013. The last time they lost to Pekka Rinne was February 19th, 2013.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How the hell is Ehn and Erne on the opening night roster over Zadina and Svechnikov???

My best guess is that they didn't feel comfortable in Svechnikov being 100% up to game speed, and that Zadina showed signs of needing seasoning in GR. It's severely disappointing that we have to watch this product, but I don' think it's necessarily the wrong decision.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
How the hell is Ehn and Erne on the opening night roster over Zadina and Svechnikov???

Its called the Yzertank. No reason to waste year of their ELC when the Wings are going to suck regardless. Let them play big important minutes in GR, while the vets on bad contracts play out the last years of their bad contracts before Stevie cuts them loose. Next year, the kids will all be up and hopefully we'll have a top 3 pick to also bring along, thanks to those vets being so bad. This is a throw away year for the Wings. We need to get the old washed up guys out and hope for continued development of the kids and our young core.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

1) Because neither of them are ready for full time NHL duty without stunting their development and being in the AHL for now is the best option for both of them.

2) Long term it doesn’t matter how Erne and Ehn turn out so let them burn on this dumpster fire this year.

Reactions: LazyT

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Man that line up is bad, if they dont finish with a top 2 pick this year its going to be such a wasted season. Hoping Larkins line scores 3-4 goals a game assisted from Cholowski and Hronek but the other team puts up 5 plus a night. Get a first overall type talent in the line up next year and inject a bunch of those young guys from Grand Rapids and all of a sudden the team will be really fu to watch again

Reactions: Filppula

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Its called the Yzertank. No reason to waste year of their ELC when the Wings are going to suck regardless. Let them play big important minutes in GR, while the vets on bad contracts play out the last years of their bad contracts before Stevie cuts them loose. Next year, the kids will all be up and hopefully we'll have a top 3 pick to also bring along, thanks to those vets being so bad. This is a throw away year for the Wings. We need to get the old washed up guys out and hope for continued development of the kids and our young core.

Svech will burn a year of ELC regardless of being in the AHL or NHL. They can still slide Zadina though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Zadina is nowhere near ready.
Svechnikov is borderline, but should be on, IMO.

I thought Svechnikov was really close to playing his way on the team. I think they probably want him to go down and score some goals in the AHL though because those are going to be hard for anyone not playing first line/first PP in Detroit to come by this year. If he was a young guy on a decent team with someone for him to play with he probably woulda made it

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
1) Because neither of them are ready for full time NHL duty without stunting their development and being in the AHL for now is the best option for both of them.

2) Long term it doesn’t matter how Erne and Ehn turn out so let them burn on this dumpster fire this year.

I think Svechnikov in the AHL could be the worst thing for him.
He took a major step back in the AHL in his sophomore year but when he came up to the NHL he looked better than he did the previous year.
And by starting a 23-year-old there now, if he doesn't fit right there and struggles, you might lose any and all value in him.
If you start him in the NHL and give him 20-30 games, if he struggles, you can send him down or bench him or whatever. It's no big deal for a rookie to struggle in the NHL. It;s a big deal for a 23-year-old to struggle in the A. And if he does, that puts him behind the eight-ball and might cause him to press - and struggle more.
He's at a critical point in his development.
Not just because of where he is, but because there are other wingers in the organization who could leap past him in the depth charts and there are only so many spots to go around.
Notice, for example, there are ZERO Red Wing forward UFAs after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad