GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 23 • Sweden 4, Switzerland 3 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Lindberg with the game winning shootout-goal aswell :yo:

I'm guessing we started playing safe waaay to early.
Don't know what to expect this year really, we looked good against Canada but couldn't score goals. Now this..
We need more goal scorers.

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
I read that they won't show Swe-Nor on TV on the 26th either.

Is that true? Seriously, what the ****?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ah, too bad they couldn't win, but the taking Sweden to a shootout should be a good confidence boost for the swiss after their beating against the canadians, getting the win isn't all that vital as it's an exhibition.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The team has now successfully lowered the expectations for this tournament, time to strike as the underdog.

babblemoth

my heart and I agree
Mar 7, 2010
ON
It seems there is not much available on this game, so I will add some insight (even though my analytical and memory skills may be lacking).

The game itself was very exciting. Lots of hits, fast pace, and big saves.
Sweden played better the first two periods, and let their guard down in the third (as someone suggested earlier). Sweden let off the gas which led to some scrambles in their own zone and scoring opportunities for the Swiss. Swiss did well to take advantage of their opportunities to tie the game up and force a great overtime.

Someone above suggested Sweden may lack goal-scorers, and that could be true. That said, the forwards all played well for the most part and Landeskog did not play. In the first period the line of Fasth-Jarnkrok-Thronberg was very strong and had many chances. Thornberg was great on the forecheck - hustled hard and got in the thick of it. Jarnkrok showed some very slick moves and puck possession on several occassions throughout the game. I was really delighted in seeing him play for the first time.

Lindberg was great. His first goal came off a rebound shot in the slot after a strong shift by his line. The second goal must have been tipped since Erixon or another defenseman took the slapshot (note - I was on the opposite end for this period). The third goal I cannot recall for some reason, but I believe it was a slapshot by Lindberg at the top of the circle.

The Swedish defenders who I seen the most were Larsson, Dahlback, Klingberg, and Erixon. They won most battles with the Swiss forwards and did well to get the puck out of their end for most of the game. Larsson was on the brunt of some heavy Swiss hits and was down for sometime on one, but came back shortly after.

Petterson-Wentzel played in net and played very well when he needed to. Shots through the first two period were mostly perimeter or weak shots by the Swiss, but he came up big in the third and overtime.

On the Swiss end - Pestoni was the best Swiss forward. If his puck control was a bit stronger he may have had another goal or point since he always seemed to end up with some good opportunities.
Niederreiter was pretty quiet in this game. He went for some big hits but his offensive side was not very notable, other than one decent rush from his own end and into the other.
Conz played the first period and made one big pad save, along with other solid saves. Giovanni came in for the remainder and continued the strong goaltending of Conz.

Overall, Sweden was the stronger team in almost all aspects but some lackluster play allowed the Swiss to bring the game to the shootout. Switzerland looks to have some very strong goaltending, but I think there may be something lacking to play the upset role they played last year (even though they played this role well in this game). Anyhow, it was a great game by both teams and hopefully a better predictor of the WJC this year than the other pre-comp games so far.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I was hoping for a Swiss win. I'm hoping that Switzerland and Germany become legitimate hockey countries within the next thirty years

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
It seems there is not much available on this game, so I will add some insight (even though my analytical and memory skills may be lacking).

The game itself was very exciting. Lots of hits, fast pace, and big saves.
Sweden played better the first two periods, and let their guard down in the third (as someone suggested earlier). Sweden let off the gas which led to some scrambles in their own zone and scoring opportunities for the Swiss. Swiss did well to take advantage of their opportunities to tie the game up and force a great overtime.

Someone above suggested Sweden may lack goal-scorers, and that could be true. That said, the forwards all played well for the most part and Landeskog did not play. In the first period the line of Fasth-Jarnkrok-Thronberg was very strong and had many chances. Thornberg was great on the forecheck - hustled hard and got in the thick of it. Jarnkrok showed some very slick moves and puck possession on several occassions throughout the game. I was really delighted in seeing him play for the first time.

Lindberg was great. His first goal came off a rebound shot in the slot after a strong shift by his line. The second goal must have been tipped since Erixon or another defenseman took the slapshot (note - I was on the opposite end for this period). The third goal I cannot recall for some reason, but I believe it was a slapshot by Lindberg at the top of the circle.

The Swedish defenders who I seen the most were Larsson, Dahlback, Klingberg, and Erixon. They won most battles with the Swiss forwards and did well to get the puck out of their end for most of the game. Larsson was on the brunt of some heavy Swiss hits and was down for sometime on one, but came back shortly after.

Petterson-Wentzel played in net and played very well when he needed to. Shots through the first two period were mostly perimeter or weak shots by the Swiss, but he came up big in the third and overtime.

On the Swiss end - Pestoni was the best Swiss forward. If his puck control was a bit stronger he may have had another goal or point since he always seemed to end up with some good opportunities.
Niederreiter was pretty quiet in this game. He went for some big hits but his offensive side was not very notable, other than one decent rush from his own end and into the other.
Conz played the first period and made one big pad save, along with other solid saves. Giovanni came in for the remainder and continued the strong goaltending of Conz.

Overall, Sweden was the stronger team in almost all aspects but some lackluster play allowed the Swiss to bring the game to the shootout. Switzerland looks to have some very strong goaltending, but I think there may be something lacking to play the upset role they played last year (even though they played this role well in this game). Anyhow, it was a great game by both teams and hopefully a better predictor of the WJC this year than the other pre-comp games so far.

Thank you thank you thank you:handclap::yo:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Exactly that : thank you babblemoth ! very appreciated.

if you would phrase is a bit more in favour of the swiss guys ... would be even greater ;)
(100% joke of course ! :))
tks

You have the Alps and Cheese, at least give us hockey;)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I watched the game on local TV tonight - live in Niagara Falls.

Both teams looked pretty even. Thought the Swiss were going to get blown out early but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad