GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 21 • United States 2, Czech Republic 3 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
Here are tonight’s lines for Team USA:

Kreider – Grimaldi – Etem
Saad – Coyle – Palmieri
D’Amigo – Shore – Brown
Bourque – Nelson – Morin
Callahan

Forbort – Ramage
Dumoulin – Clendening
Merrill – Faulk
Leddy

Campbell*
Iles

Live Blog
Live Summary

Last edited by a moderator:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
1 to 1 right now.

Straka scored for the Czechs to start it off. Honejsek and Senkerik got the assists.

Palmieri tied it up on the PP. Faulk got the assist.

Looks like the US is having trouble figuring out the Czechs collapsing defense right now.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
US actually controlled the play for the most part but they need to tighten things up defensively. The pk units looked quite good though.

The pp tonight might very well be what we see for the tournament. Merrill and Faulk partnered last year with the U18s and they're together tonight with Merill mostly looking to set up Faulk's shot. Clendening and Leddy were together as well with Clendening mostly setting up Morin on the left half boards. Clendening did get burned by a Czech pk'er once though with Campbell bailing him out.

Morin looks very confident out there. Kreider is flying, he's just got to execute some of the chances he's creating. Shore looks like the sure top center.

Man does this feed ever suck though. I'm spending half my time trying to figure out who is who. I can't wait to watch the high def NHL Network feed for the tournament.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Thanks for the insight as always Cagney. Nice to have it.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything good about Fasthockey's coverage. I'm stuck with my old laptop right now so I didn't even have the choice to order the game. Hopefully if USA Hockey continues to use them going forward they improve the quality.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

Yeah, I haven't heard anything good about Fasthockey's coverage. I'm stuck with my old laptop right now so I didn't even have the choice to order the game. Hopefully if USA Hockey continues to use them going forward they improve the quality.

Given what their command center here looks like I wouldn't hold your breath. Public schools have newer computers.

And the parade to the penalty box continues. Barely any even strength play in the 2nd.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
All special teams that period. The Czechs have ceded the top of the zone to the US defense on the pp but they haven't been able to take advantage of that. I'd like to see the US try to be a bit more creative to be honest and get the forwards more involved.

Campbell has made some nice saves but he's been extremely erratic playing the puck. I've never seem him do thing like he's doing tonight.

I try to consider the money I give them an investment towards better quality in the future. Probably not the best investment I've ever made. It's better than nothing though. Considering this is being done on the fly at a community college it could be worse.

How is Coyle looking?

He's be fine. He's getting pp time and playing a solid though unremarkable game. He looks like a good bet for a 2nd/3rd line role depending upon where the US sees Bjugstad playing.

RedwingsnCudi13

Aug 25, 2010
Czech Republic wins in a shootout, scoring on two of its three tries. Palmieri misses, Morin scores, and Kreider misses to close out the game.

member 30781

What are the chances that both Bjugstad and Coyle make the team?

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
So did Mitch Callahan not play?

He played. Very flukey shootout goal to win it. Czech guy just waved his stick over the puck and it slid right by Campbell. Never even took a shot.

I dunno much about most of these players, but Palmieri definitely played well and Etem has some serious wheels.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
US loses in the shootout.

I'd say the US had the better of the play and created more scoring chances but was simply unable to bury those chances. The US lost to the Czechs in a shootout in exhibition play last year so I'll resist the temptation to go gloom and doom. Hopefully once the cuts are made tomorrow they'll be able to get the team heading in the right direction for the game against Finland this weekend.

I'll post some more thoughts on the US roster thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad