Prashanth Iyer - Rebuilding/Off-season Approach

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Obv I'm not EK65, but if I was the only way I'd even consider Detroit was if I was offered way more money and term than everyone else right now. This roster is a ways away from competing and I wouldn't want to spend the last years in my prime trying to rebuild.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
No... I don't sign Karlsson if I have the chance. I really wouldn't because I don't know if he is a legit #1 Defenseman anymore. I would be ecstatic with him on the second line, but he costs way too much for that (and he isn't coming here to be a 2nd line defender). His defensive play has been bad (at least from what I have seen this playoffs), and for an offensive defenseman I just haven't been impressed these past 2 years with his production. A lot of that could be because of the other defensive talent he has around him, but it could be because he is in a decline. If we sign him, I guarantee it would be for a long term deal that could cripple the Wings ability to gather other talent needed over the next few years.

I understand this team needs a #1 or a 1st line player on defense, but I really don't think Karlsson is the answer anymore.

stuff like this is why it's hard to take a lot of the Karlsson talk in here seriously

Karlsson is literally 2nd in the league in points per game for Defensemen after only Burns for the past 2 seasons

Reactions: Ingvar

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
stuff like this is why it's hard to take a lot of the Karlsson talk in here seriously

Karlsson is literally 2nd in the league in points per game for Defensemen after only Burns for the past 2 seasons

That’s a great stat for an individual player. SJ is also down 3-1 to the VGK and have one of the stronger defensive cores. What is he going to be on the Wings when he isn’t playing with Burns?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That’s a great stat for an individual player. SJ is also down 3-1 to the VGK and have one of the stronger defensive cores. What is he going to be on the Wings when he isn’t playing with Burns?

I dunno,perhaps he'd lead the entire league in points per game for Defensemen like he did in Ottawa last year in the other one of those unimpressive production years of his?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He had 5 points in the first 3 game of the series before being shut out in game 4. Their goalie has been yanked after 7 shots twice in 4 games.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I dunno,perhaps he'd lead the entire league in points per game for Defensemen like he did in Ottawa last year in the other one of those unimpressive production years of his?

AGAIN, great individual stat, but that will not improve the Wings long term, nor make them a contender.

Scoring as many goals as Kronwall is impressive as well.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Who truly believes this roster plus EK makes the playoffs next season?
If you honestly think so, what are our chances in your opinion, 85% sure?

I personally do not think we would, in fact we wouldn't make it the year after either.

I think all he would accomplish is being an expensive player on a team drafting 6th-10th outside of any lottery luck

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I do. Provided other moves were also made and it wasn't just EK and dreams.

We would need to add forward depth and maybe replace one low-cost D... but the Wings are not as far away from challenging for the playoffs as everyone thinks. And adding an EK to the D will improve them FAR more than just his individual play.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
AGAIN, great individual stat, but that will not improve the Wings long term, nor make them a contender.

Scoring as many goals as Kronwall is impressive as well.

individual stat? what the hell are you even talking about? maybe read the part of your post I originally bolded?

saying that Karlsson's production the past 2 seasons isn't impressive just looks dumb when he literally lead all Defensemen in points per game last year and is 2nd over the past 2 years behind only Burns

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
If you have a chance to sign a great player like KArlsson, you'll do it no matter what. It's better thing than any change in draft pick height.

Also playoff experience for this young generation will be critical at this point of their development. I'll buy that Holland talk 100%. Multiple losing seasons builds... a loser.

Playoff-styled matchup hockey against same opponent is a totally different sport. If you miss that for years, it takes years to learn it again. Faster you get the first experience, faster you have chance for Cup and the core age won't by-pass you when you are learning that playoff-thing too late.

Your point seems to be valid at first glance. But does not the success of teams like VGK, CBJ or NYI, whose rosters do not boast very much playoff experience, that this quality might be overtaken? Except for Larkin, who improved greatly throughout this playoff drought, no future core player had an important role before. Thus I really doubt that another bad season would do any harm to our players and completely agree with the plan devised below.

Gruß,
BSHH

Great read, thanks for sharing!

I strongly agree with two of his points:
  1. I don't think we should go after any UFA/RFA's this summer. There is some great talent available, but at this point in our rebuild I don't believe it will help set us up for a SC contender. We could end up being an average playoff team that may get lucky and get to the 2nd round one year, but contending... no. Shoot for the 2020 offseason for your UFA/RFA talents.
  2. Depending on 1 (and some other factors), our 2020 offseason could be huge.
    1. I want to really get as many of our prospects playing for the Griffins as possible to get them ready to make that jump at some point during the 2020 season. Those players include: Veleno, McIssac, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Zadina. Obviously Zadina and Rasmussen should be called up to be full time at some point, but getting that experience for the other players will be huge for their jump to the NHL for 2020. Lindstrom could be another player who can start the 2020 season in the AHL and then move up when needed.
    2. The 2020 season will have a lot of bad contracts gone which gives the Wings a ton of flexibility in FA. The UFA list is strong and can provide the Wings with contending for the playoffs in 20-21.
    3. Getting another top 10 pick is important for solidifying the tanking/rebuild we've done for the past few years. Lafreniere is the obvious target, but getting any sort of top 10 talent will be huge for us.
Obviously we will need some luck from a developmental and signing standpoint, but if we continue to play things smart, I see us being able 3rd round ceiling and 1st round floor for this team in 2021.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I'd look at his individual and possession advanced stats in his last 3 years in Ottawa, because he was in a pretty obvious decline. When he went to San Jose there has been a rebound, but, there is a strong possibility that that is attributed to playing for a much deeper team.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I do. Provided other moves were also made and it wasn't just EK and dreams.

We would need to add forward depth and maybe replace one low-cost D... but the Wings are not as far away from challenging for the playoffs as everyone thinks. And adding an EK to the D will improve them FAR more than just his individual play.

Ok fair enough

What other moves and players are you thinking? Are they reasonable? Are they online with how we operate?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ok fair enough

What other moves and players are you thinking? Are they reasonable? Are they online with how we operate?
Fair questions, but I don't know that being taken seriously by EK is online with how they operate either. Based on what happened when Stamkos and Tavares hit their respective free agencies, I think Detroit needs to be farther along in the rebuild before any of this could really happen.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Also, where do you draw the line with all the nitpicking? Do we wait for the absolute perfect scenario (ie:cap space) for the perfect player who by the way would obviously be no guarantee they wanted to sign here. Signing an elite talent will only fast forward the rebuild not prolong it imo.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Also, where do you draw the line with all the nitpicking? Do we wait for the absolute perfect scenario (ie:cap space) for the perfect player who by the way would obviously be no guarantee they wanted to sign here. Signing an elite talent will only fast forward the rebuild not prolong it imo.

I would say when you have some elite talent in the right spots
Centres
Top pairing dmen
A winger
A goalie

???

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So in our case, not anytime soon I take it?

Correct

I hope we will soon enough but this is a marathon not a sprint.

Maybe we draft a Dach or Cozens and within 3 years they're in par with a young Getzlaf

Maybe we win the lottery next year and draft lafreniere

Maybe Mantha or Zadina or Bert emerge next year as legit high end 70pt wingers

Maybe one of our D prospects breaks out next year or the year after and is legit horse

Maybe Larsson us our next #1 starter

We have a long way to go. Stay the course but quick fixes will lead to quicker failure

Reactions: StargateSG1

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Oh boy, here we go again. Erik Karlsson is such a home wrecker of our cozy, albeit eccentric Hfboards family. If we all meet for drinks we have to agree there will be no EK talk!

Edit: The author speaking at length about buying Abby out catapulted him to the top of my list as next Wings GM.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Correct

I hope we will soon enough but this is a marathon not a sprint.

Maybe we draft a Dach or Cozens and within 3 years they're in par with a young Getzlaf

Maybe we win the lottery next year and draft lafreniere

Maybe Mantha or Zadina or Bert emerge next year as legit high end 70pt wingers

Maybe one of our D prospects breaks out next year or the year after and is legit horse

Maybe Larsson us our next #1 starter

We have a long way to go. Stay the course but quick fixes will lead to quicker failure
Now imagine those maybes coming true with a star on the roster. (not so much of the drafting maybes but more of our youngsters developing). Otherwise, I think you would be waiting forever if you plan on waiting for just a team of drafted players to develop into a contender. Why not take the star (in this scenario the star is actually interested in signing here) and make moves to finish the rebuild?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I get the vibe from EK that:

The first 2-3 years of his contract will be mostly...OH SNAP! :thumbu:

And the remaining 4-5 years will be mostly...oh snap. :thumbd:

I think those injuries will nag him until they really impact his play.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I get the vibe from EK that:

The first 2-3 years of his contract will be mostly...OH SNAP! :thumbu:

And the remaining 4-5 years will be mostly...oh snap. :thumbd:

I think those injuries will nag him until they really impact his play.
To play devils advocate here, can't you say that about any big UFA signing? They are almost never expected to be great for their duration of the contract.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Now imagine those maybes coming true with a star on the roster. (not so much of the drafting maybes but more of our youngsters developing). Otherwise, I think you would be waiting forever if you plan on waiting for just a team of drafted players to develop into a contender. Why not take the star (in this scenario the star is actually interested in signing here) and make moves to finish the rebuild?

What moves exactly finish the rebuild?

Karlsson? I am not sure who you mean exactly..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad