Praise Slava

LAX attack*

We all watch Slava to know how much he brings to the table. Yes he makes the occasional mistake, but shift to shift he is a great physical defender (he takes the body SO well) and he is just offensively gifted. I see BIG potential for Voinov in the future, but as of right now he is already an incredibly effective defenseman.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
The Blues have Pietrangelo, we have Doughty. They have Shattenkirk, we have Voynov. Bouwmeester? Martinez (hopefully Muzzin eventually). I woulda said Mitchell but we all know how lousy that situation is.....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He is a Soviet Machine.

As you mentioned, Slava's physical game is what has really impressed me. I was surprised to see him actually line Blues players up along the boards with solid hip checks and strong cutoffs before they could get in deep or past him.

I hope the Kings lock him up to a nice long-term deal and keep him and Doughty constant as two of the top three defenseman on the squad. It's a valuable commodity to have offensively skilled defensemen who not only skate well but play solid positional defense with some physical play to go along with it.

I also love the fact that both came out of the 2008 draft. The selection of Voynov in the 2nd round more than makes up for the mistake of taking Teubert with the 12th pick.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Blues have Pietrangelo, we have Doughty. They have Shattenkirk, we have Voynov. Bouwmeester? Martinez (hopefully Muzzin eventually)....

I'd say Forbort would be the Kings' version of Bouwmeester. Big guy, not necessarily known for their physical game or offensive prowess, but solid skater who can be trusted with big minutes and can play in many situations.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Doughty and Voynov. Both incredible homegrown defensemen. Seriously, that is fantastic drafting.

And the KHL best stay away. Or else...

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Why do we need to match St. Louis' defensemen? Doughty and Voynov > Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Mitchell > Bouwmeester. Our last four guys >> than their last four guys. Our 8, 9 and 10 >>> than theirs too. There's no comparison.

Our problem is injuries and our fourth line <<< than theirs this year.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Why do we need to match St. Louis' defensemen? Doughty and Voynov > Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Mitchell > Bouwmeester. Our last four guys >> than their last four guys. Our 8, 9 and 10 >>> than theirs too. There's no comparison.

Our problem is injuries and our fourth line <<< than theirs this year.

I matched them for the **** of it, didn't realize one could get so touchy about the subject. And no way Mitchell > Bouwmeester considering Mitchell's career is likely over. A healthy Mitchell, then yes he's better. And honestly Doughty and Pietrangelo are on par with one another....

hangons

Feb 27, 2002
Westlake Village
Visit site
Doughty and Voynov. Both incredible homegrown defensemen. Seriously, that is fantastic drafting.

And the KHL best stay away. Or else...

We may have lucked out with Voynov in the draft... I know DL wanted Viktor Tikhonov and then PHX traded up to grab him. We got "stuck" with Voynov who is amazing!

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I matched them for the **** of it, didn't realize one could get so touchy about the subject. And no way Mitchell > Bouwmeester considering Mitchell's career is likely over. A healthy Mitchell, then yes he's better. And honestly Doughty and Pietrangelo are on par with one another....

The only person being "touchy" is you. You realize this is a forum and if you say something I disagree with, I can put in my two cents too??

And you notice, I didn't compare Pie to DD. I compared the two guys to the two guys. Our two together are better than their two.

Temid

Oct 10, 2006
sLOVEnia
Slava means glory in slovene.. prolly smth similar in russian. Yes yes i know.. very important information that is :P

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
The only person being "touchy" is you. You realize this is a forum and if you say something I disagree with, I can put in my two cents too??

And you notice, I didn't compare Pie to DD. I compared the two guys to the two guys. Our two together are better than their two.

:facepalm: And nothing to even say about Mitchell because you know its true. I can do the grouping game too:

Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk > Doughty, Voynov, Martinez

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
:facepalm: And nothing to even say about Mitchell because you know its true. I can do the grouping game too:

If Martinez of last year + playoffs is the real deal, which I believe it is, then that equation is false.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010

Eh.

Doughty = Pietrangelo

Voynov > Shattenkirk

Bouwmeester > Martinez

Flip a coin.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Nah.

Bouwmeester is grossly overrated.

Doughty and Voynov, in time, will be the best D pairing in the NHL.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Eh.

Doughty = Pietrangelo

Voynov > Shattenkirk

Bouwmeester > Martinez

Flip a coin.

Pretty much this.

Nah.

Bouwmeester is grossly overrated.

Doughty and Voynov, in time, will be the best D pairing in the NHL.

Not overrated anymore. Most people consider him pretty average now, but he's still slightly better than Martinez. That will (hopefully) change over time. This isn't 2009 anymore where everyone expects Bouw to have his break out season any time soon....

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Drew > Pie

Pretty much this.

Not overrated anymore. Most people consider him pretty average now, but he's still slightly better than Martinez. That will (hopefully) change over time. This isn't 2009 anymore where everyone expects Bouw to have his break out season any time soon....

2726157086_019_waiting_skeleton_on_bench_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad