Praise From a Bruins Fan + Marchand\Julien Comments (See post #77)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fair enough to those that don't want "pity". I would have made a thread on your board at some point anyways because I see all the crap you guys take on the boards, and I honestly think your team is vastly improved, and have a legit shot at doing some damage in the playoffs this year. I really like seeing another team that plays a similar style of hockey to Boston. For a while, it seemed like the tough and physical style hockey I love so much was going away, and it's nice to see another team that doesn't take any crap, and can throw down with the best of them.

I actually enjoy the Leafs, and I like your team more than anybody but Boston. No offense meant, so sorry if anybody took it the wrong way.

I found out I got tickets to the game on March 23rd, so I'm looking forward to the next one as well!

There is no need to apologize for complementing the Leafs on their improvement this season.

Unfortunately our Leafs have been among the doormats of the NHL for the past 4 to 5 years so its a sensitive matter (which is not your fault), as mocking was the norm. The Bruins manhandled the Leafs in the past and it was to the point of embarrassment really when you lose 8-0 and 7-1 etc.

I for one enjoy the praise, because it shows signs of improvement in our team as being witnessed through impartial/unbiased eyes when it comes sincerely from an opponents. Our Leafs have a new identity this season and its one built to compete against teams like the Bruins. It should make Leaf fans proud of their achievement and enjoyment at them appearing to turn a page towards a team that many teams can no longer push around at will.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
This is also relevant to the topic at hand, and I did not see a thread on it, so feel free to discuss.

Claude Julien (Bruins head coach) says:

“You just have to look at the game last night (a 5-4 win over Ottawa),†Julien said following his team’s morning skate in advance of tonight’s contest at the TD Garden. “They’ve done a good job with that team. They’ve definitely tightened up their game. I’m one of those guys who believe they are a legit contender.â€

Brad Marchand says:

“Different coach, different management, it looks like they have a whole new mentality over there,†Bruins forward Brad Marchand said. “It looks like they have a lot of confidence right now.

“They’re a tough team because they definitely work hard and are very physical. They are buying into their system.â€

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/0...ender-for-playoffs-bruins-coach-claude-julien

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Yeah, I understand the guy is just trying to be nice but I hate threads like these. As if the Bruins are some almighty team that to even be competitive against them is some sort of consolation.

The man is talking about how much improvement the Leafs have made since last season. In no place does he say that competing agaisnt the Bruins makes us a great team.

Nice try though.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Like I said man, half their team is friggin canadian! :laugh: With a good amount of them in a radius not to far from Toronto, its hilarious.

they could go 80%/90%/100% against Pitts,Rangers,Ottawa,Philly,Was,Tampa.... but turn it up to 150% against the leafs. Thats why homegrown canadian talent will always outway the latter. Canadian boys know the history behind the leafs.

And that was our 3rd game in 4 nights with a back to back. The fact it was as close as it was with the leafs falling just short makes me question the bruins. They are not the same team that blew us out of the water 6-0, 7-0 or whatever last year.

Or maybe WE aren't the same team they blew out of the water last year.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
People forget that Boston is a very very good team. In the past 5 years: made the playoffs, won the stanley cup, core of young players.

They had a 6 game winning streak prior to losing to montreal (1st in the east) and Caps (which they should have won). They are arguably the best team in the east this year (33 pts in 3 games less than pens and habs)

tough loss but I agree with the OP. Let's see how our remaining games play out.

SteveV*

Omg we lost the game, this is sad we need pats on the heads from a real cup contender. Embarrassing.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
What are Julien and Marchand supposed to say?

We're a **** team? Of course they're gonna praise us. It's never a good idea to put a team down before a game.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

We're a **** team? Of course they're gonna praise us. It's never a good idea to put a team down before a game.

Sports cliches lol. "we won the battles we needed to." , "it was a hard fought game" or "we played hard and came away with 2 points" would all be acceptable.

I sure hope Crosby talks about how much improved the Leafs are if they beat us on Saturday!

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I just cant stand pity. Leafs lost and do not deserve compliments from a Bruins fan who has got to enjoy hammering the Leafs for the past few years.

The leafs were 6-4-2 vs. the bruins in the two seasons prior to last season.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Yeah, I remember all the praise they gave us after they delivered 8-0 and 7-1 beatdowns on us.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I watched the game last night, and was pretty impressed with the effort your boys put in. Obviously Kessel and Dion have their shortcomings, but there is a lot to like on your team. I can't get enough of Kadri... kid is an absolute stud. Just imagine had he came up a year or two ago, and been given a legit chance? He has #1 centre written all over him.

I also wanted to say that I know it can't be very fun watching Boston over the past few years, but I watch a lot of Leafs games, and you guys are finally turning a corner. There will, and I stand by it fully, be playoffs in Toronto this year. Also, I definitely like the Leafs fans on this board far more than our "friends" in Vancouver and Montreal.

Good game last night boys, and it's being shown pretty clearly to me, that no longer will the games Boston plays against you guys be a rollover. You guys definitely came to play last night, and as a fan of hockey in general, it makes it a much better game to watch.

Cheers,

Good observations especially the short comings of Kessel and Phaneuf, the Leafs will never compete with upper crust teams in the NHL with them as the leaders of this team. Marchand owned Phaneuf all night long and Kessel wasn't interested in having the puck at all, you could see the fear and his only thought was Self Preservation. Your kind with your observations but in a seven game series it would not be pretty for the Leafs, the Bruins would enforce their will and the series would be short lived.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
now that we can actually compete with boston in toughness...i dont dislike them as much. i just wish kessel would the tyler vs phil comparison a little less one sided when they play.

Kyle Doobas*

Omg we lost the game, this is sad we need pats on the heads from a real cup contender. Embarrassing.
It's not like we flooded over to the Bruins board begging for approval. The guy was just trying to give us an outside perspective, perhaps in the hope that it might loosen the asscheeks of some people around here who so desperately need that stick to fall out.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
If you want to compliment the Leafs, you should send them a letter. We're just fans here, and this thread is weird.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
it simply doesnt make sense how we can beat the habs and the habs can beat the bruins but we cannot beat the bruins. I dont understand it one bit. I think there is a big mental factor when it comes to playing these guys because everytime we do, we also come out flat or just plain suck. If we could actually play against them like we do against other teams, I think we could easily win a couple of matches during regular season

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I don't really understand what people expect the Bruins to say?

Should the entire Bruins universe give a universally broadcasted b**w**b to the Carlton the Bear or something?

Is this actually something to discuss?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Holy crap people really?

Dude, thank you for the compliments. Both teams looked good. I'd say I wish you luck but honestly I hope that someone runs Seguin through the freakin boards. Guy is a legitimate Buds Killer.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It's hard for me to hate Boston, as they pretty much have the exact team I want the Leafs to become

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->