Praise From a Bruins Fan + Marchand\Julien Comments (See post #77)

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, I understand the guy is just trying to be nice but I hate threads like these. As if the Bruins are some almighty team that to even be competitive against them is some sort of consolation.

So you hate complements for opposing teams? It has nothing to do with you guys losing. He was simply saying you guys look like a much different team and in a good way. Why is that a bad thing?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
So you hate complements for opposing teams? It has nothing to do with you guys losing. He was simply saying you guys look like a much different team and in a good way. Why is that a bad thing?

Imagine if you guys had lost to the Canucks for the cup, then got flooded with Canucks fans telling you that you were a worthy opponent for them winning against. Would that make you feel good?

mikebel111*

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I watched the game last night, and was pretty impressed with the effort your boys put in. Obviously Kessel and Dion have their shortcomings, but there is a lot to like on your team. I can't get enough of Kadri... kid is an absolute stud. Just imagine had he came up a year or two ago, and been given a legit chance? He has #1 centre written all over him.

I also wanted to say that I know it can't be very fun watching Boston over the past few years, but I watch a lot of Leafs games, and you guys are finally turning a corner. There will, and I stand by it fully, be playoffs in Toronto this year. Also, I definitely like the Leafs fans on this board far more than our "friends" in Vancouver and Montreal.

Good game last night boys, and it's being shown pretty clearly to me, that no longer will the games Boston plays against you guys be a rollover. You guys definitely came to play last night, and as a fan of hockey in general, it makes it a much better game to watch.

Cheers,

thanks for the praise, but I still hate it when bruins fans go "thank you Kessel"

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah, I understand the guy is just trying to be nice but I hate threads like these. As if the Bruins are some almighty team that to even be competitive against them is some sort of consolation.

Well they were the 2011 Stanley Cup champs and the reigning last Eastern Conference team to hoist the Cup.

So I don't think comparing oneself against its better competition is a consolation prize when you perform well competitively.

You have to strive to beat those that stand in your way, if you want to achieve success yourself.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well, last year was a bit of a disaster against the Bruins, and the type of team that the Leafs really failed against, so it is a compliment that the Leafs character is changing.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Classy thread by the OP.

The Leafs deserved a better fate last night and played well given the circumstances.

The players that stood out for all the wrong reasons were Kessel and Phaneuf, and it's getting very tiresome watching their disappearing act against Boston.

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Very classy OP.

The Bruins are definitely the team I think a lot of us wanted the Leafs to be when Burke took over. We are getting a bit closer at least.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
There is a ton of supports here who feel Kessel and Phaneuf are just fine

I don't see it and in the playoffs when teams play harder and tough Kessel will shine right? LOL

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nice post. I wish there was a little more interaction with fans of other teams, but too many people are thin-skinned.

I live in Calgary, and have many friends who aren't Leafs' fans.

Face to face we can agree and disagree sometimes strongly, but it doesn't take any more effort to be mature about it. My one neighbor is from Ottawa, and we kid each other about failings all the time.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I watched the game last night, and was pretty impressed with the effort your boys put in. Obviously Kessel and Dion have their shortcomings, but there is a lot to like on your team. I can't get enough of Kadri... kid is an absolute stud. Just imagine had he came up a year or two ago, and been given a legit chance? He has #1 centre written all over him.

I also wanted to say that I know it can't be very fun watching Boston over the past few years, but I watch a lot of Leafs games, and you guys are finally turning a corner. There will, and I stand by it fully, be playoffs in Toronto this year. Also, I definitely like the Leafs fans on this board far more than our "friends" in Vancouver and Montreal.

Good game last night boys, and it's being shown pretty clearly to me, that no longer will the games Boston plays against you guys be a rollover. You guys definitely came to play last night, and as a fan of hockey in general, it makes it a much better game to watch.

Cheers,

Thanks to the OP. Great to hear an objective opinion from a fan of another team. Here's to both the Bruins and Leafs beating up the Habs this year and beyond! :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Imagine if you guys had lost to the Canucks for the cup, then got flooded with Canucks fans telling you that you were a worthy opponent for them winning against. Would that make you feel good?

Hawks, Canucks, Bruins, Leafs

It isn't like the fans of the Columbus Blue Jackets are coming and saying they're aware the Leafs are going to be giving their team a hard time in the not too distant future.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Canucks fans lack any kind of class so I would never have expected that. This also wasn't game 7 of the cup finals woodman. I don't think it should be taken as any kind of insult or nice try type of thing. The difference between last years leafs team and this years is like night and day and I think that's all that was meant by his post. You guys are a much more complete team with a hell of a lot more toughness. Both of the games we played this year were tight and hard fought and could have gone either way. That was not the case last year. You guys could easily win the rest of the seasons meetings against us. I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be many leafs fans posting nicenesses on the Bruins boards if you guys win the next game.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Canucks fans lack any kind of class so I would never have expected that. This also wasn't game 7 of the cup finals woodman. I don't think it should be taken as any kind of insult or nice try type of thing. The difference between last years leafs team and this years is like night and day and I think that's all that was meant by his post. You guys are a much more complete team with a hell of a lot more toughness. Both of the games we played this year were tight and hard fought and could have gone either way. That was not the case last year. You guys could easily win the rest of the seasons meetings against us. I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be many leafs fans posting nicenesses on the Bruins boards if you guys win the next game.

I just cant stand pity. Leafs lost and do not deserve compliments from a Bruins fan who has got to enjoy hammering the Leafs for the past few years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well, last year was a bit of a disaster against the Bruins, and the type of team that the Leafs really failed against, so it is a compliment that the Leafs character is changing.

In order to be the best, you have to be able to beat the best, and as the saying goes " imitation is the highest form of flattery".

Carlyle bringing back Patty Burns hockey to Toronto is a good start, and emulating the Bruins style of play is good role model. IMO

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Fair enough to those that don't want "pity". I would have made a thread on your board at some point anyways because I see all the crap you guys take on the boards, and I honestly think your team is vastly improved, and have a legit shot at doing some damage in the playoffs this year. I really like seeing another team that plays a similar style of hockey to Boston. For a while, it seemed like the tough and physical style hockey I love so much was going away, and it's nice to see another team that doesn't take any crap, and can throw down with the best of them.

I actually enjoy the Leafs, and I like your team more than any team but Boston. No offense meant, so sorry if anybody took it the wrong way.

I found out I got tickets to the game on March 23rd, so I'm looking forward to the next one as well!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I just cant stand pity. Leafs lost and do not deserve compliments from a Bruins fan who has got to enjoy hammering the Leafs for the past few years.

that's just it though. It wasn't a pity thing. If you guys had one last night and he posted that would that be a different story? I guess it may have resonated a little better if that was the case. But again I'm on their boards and can tell you that the leafs are talked about in a very favourable light. Just like you see here, there are fans that will do nothing but bash other teams but there are many compliments about the leafs new style and team and that they are to be taken seriously. There's obviously the Kessel deal that always seems to derail conversation between our two teams. But the reality is that the Bruins fan base thinks very well of the leafs. More so then any other team in our division

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I was actually just coming here to post something similar but another B's fan beat me to it. This is what I just posted in the Bruins GDT:

maybe this has been said already but I love the look of the Leafs right now. Kadri definitely was one of the missing pieces for them. His emergence finally gives them 2 consistently dangerous lines. It's really a shame Burke got fired because now his moves are finally starting to pay off and that team has some depth to them. I think the difference is that it finally feels like they have a true core to build around now rather than just a bunch of replaceable parts. They are also easily the least unlikeable of all our rivals. If this exact roster was a team in the western conference I'd probably follow and root for them.

Anyway, good luck to you guys in the future.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We'll beat your team one of these days, and it will be glorious.

I was at the game and thought Toronto played very well- they are close. They should be in 95% of the games they play. They seem to strap it on and take their best shot. Add Lupol and who the heck knows.

They could obviously use a center like one of Boston's top two and a puck moving defenseman, but overall they are tough, they got a little of this, a little of that. I like them and probably havent since Dave Keon and Ron Ellis suited up (just kidding but its been awhile)

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I was actually just coming here to post something similar but another B's fan beat me to it. This is what I just posted in the Bruins GDT:

maybe this has been said already but I love the look of the Leafs right now. Kadri definitely was one of the missing pieces for them. His emergence finally gives them 2 consistently dangerous lines. It's really a shame Burke got fired because now his moves are finally starting to pay off and that team has some depth to them. I think the difference is that it finally feels like they have a true core to build around now rather than just a bunch of replaceable parts. They are also easily the least unlikeable of all our rivals. If this exact roster was a team in the western conference I'd probably follow and root for them.

Anyway, good luck to you guys in the future.

Ya, Hope to see you guys in the playoffs in the near future, Don't worry we wont get swept.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
that's just it though. It wasn't a pity thing. If you guys had one last night and he posted that would that be a different story? I guess it may have resonated a little better if that was the case. But again I'm on their boards and can tell you that the leafs are talked about in a very favourable light. Just like you see here, there are fans that will do nothing but bash other teams but there are many compliments about the leafs new style and team and that they are to be taken seriously. There's obviously the Kessel deal that always seems to derail conversation between our two teams. But the reality is that the Bruins fan base thinks very well of the leafs. More so then any other team in our division

A few playoff series losses to the Leafs and I bet you see all that respect vanish when you start to actually feel some contempt for them being a real threat.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Appreciate it. But wish that that the bruin fans on your board showed a little more class. Im starting to be convinced they care more about the seguin/kessel crap than most leaf fans do.

This dawned on me last night too. Maybe it's because the Leafs are finally getting better, or we know what Seguin is and Hamilton is, but I just don't care any more. And its not me saying that in a bitter way. I think it's because, no offense intended, I don't see Seguin as the game changer like a Crosby or Stamkos, I just see him as a very very good young forward who may or may not be better than Phil Kessel. Hamilton doesn't sting so much because of our upcoming depth. Maybe I am just sick and over talking about the trade?

Onto the thread, Thank you for the kind words. I finally feel confident that the Leafs COULD win every night. It dawned on me when we played the Flyers the first time this season. I used to dread playing them like how we used to dread playing the Bruins. I have never really hated the Bruins, up until the Kessel trade to be honest, and I don't really feel the hatred any more because of the "I don't care" attitude I now feel about 'that' trade. Actually I have always kind of like the Bruins because of our mutual hatred of the Canadiens. I still don't like them, but respect them.

I feel with the size and grit our team now has, we are no longer going to be bullied by the Bruins and I felt this the first 2 games this season. I go into games with confidence that we have a shot as opposed to the last few years where you didn't even want to watch the train wreck that was going to unfold. Thanks for the kind words, but we'll meet you guys again later this month, when you guys are a little more tired than we (like how we were when we played you guys last night) :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad