Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Stanley Cup winning teams:

Henri Richard and Ralph Backstrom.
Henri Richard and Jacques Lemaire.
Jacques Lemaire and Doug Jarvis.
Jacques Lemaire, Doug Jarvis and Pierre Larouche / Pierre Mondou
Guy Carbonneau and Denis Savard / Paul DiPietro

Listening to some of the geniuses here, if they had been in Toe Blake's shoes, they would have put Maurice Richard at center to get SIZE, and Henri Richard on the wing so that he wouldn't have to battle anyone. ROFL.

Hey Coach,

I've respected your opinions around here for some time, but the game has changed a lot since then. PLayers are just way bigger than they were, it is a fact.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I like DD -- there are some things he can't due because of his size and there are some things he can do because of his size, he has to continue to work on that.

1) Can't Reach the faucet on the kitchen sink.
2) Can kiss your knee without bending down.

Are those some of the things you mean?

P.S. I'm big fan of DD but the devil made me write that.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If we're gonna play with lines why not go crazy?

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Cole
Eller - Plekanec - Bourque
Gallagher - Desharnais - Gionta
Moen - Prust - Armstrong

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I find it funny that most posters are slamming DD & Cole but giving Patches a get out of jail card. I agree Dd & Cole have been bad but Patches has been the worst of the three. For most of the season but especially on Saturday's game Patches was unable to complete one decent pass. I can remember a couple times he had the puck in our zone and tried to make a pass to a line mate just a couple of yards away and missed by a country mile.

Also Patches has played on the perimeter all season long. He has avoided the slot. Hopefully he'll break out of those nasty habits playing with the two kids.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I find it funny that most posters are slamming DD & Cole but giving Patches a get out of jail card. I agree Dd & Cole have been bad but Patches has been the worst of the three. For most of the season but especially on Saturday's game Patches was unable to complete one decent pass. I can remember a couple times he had the puck in our zone and tried to make a pass to a line mate just a couple of yards away and missed by a country mile.

Also Patches has played on the perimeter all season long. He has avoided the slot. Hopefully he'll break out of those nasty habits playing with the two kids.

I agree with this. Right now, Patches is playing excatly like he was when sent down in the AHL 2 years ago. But we should still be patient. Too much talent.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bourque-Pleks-Gio
Patches-Chucky-Sniper
Prust-ELLER-Cole
Moen-DD-Armstrong

Even with the straggler Cole, at least Eller and Prust can show up on defense and they have SIZE and physicality that the Prust-DD duo does not.

Habtchum*

The guy should had taken his month off with his health condition.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Agreed. Maybe it's because he's hurt (and if so he should be sat) but the coaching staff should sit him down and make him watch tape of how many useless wristers he's been floating in from the side boards.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed. Maybe it's because he's hurt (and if so he should be sat) but the coaching staff should sit him down and make him watch tape of how many useless wristers he's been floating in from the side boards.

I lost my HEAD at that against Toronto.

DrunkenHabz

Jan 10, 2012
Armstrong should be out of this line-up. Sure he's a funny guy in the locker room but he doesn't bring anything on the ice. Also dropping the gloves once in a while wouldn't hurt, and might actually give a one-game break to Prust.

About Prust. Bergevin's best off-season signing. A warrior.

Subban and Gorges need to be paired together and face the opponent's top lines again. Enough of the Gorges - Diaz pairing, it's going nowhere.

Markov AND Subban TOGETHER for the first PP unit. I'd even let them there the whole 2 minutes if I could. Bouillon and Emelin (while pretty good in the D-zone, take dumb decisions on the PP. Have Diaz to replace one of Subban or Markov. But FFS use your best weapons on the powerplay!

One of Gallagher, Gionta or Desharnais needs to go. And let's face it, it won't be Gallagher. I don't see how it can be Gionta either (too much responsabilities with the club as of now with the rookies and everything)... as for Desharnais, as far as I know we've got to many centers and he's unfortunately the odd man out.

Still I think he needs some more time to prove himself though, same for Eller.

White needs to get back in the line-up. He must have understood by now (or what does it take?!) He would have been of some help against Toronto. More over with Moen and Armstrong sleeping on the bench.

Moen? If he doesn't fight 1 game out of 4 at least, he is useless to this team.

Talking about useless guys, Cole is slowly proving what he said at the season start, that it might be his last season because of retirement. I know he pushed that aside later on, but if he doesn't take things seriously and start playing like he should, management will show him the way out. His passing is atrocious, he dumps it softly like he doesn't give a ****. His passing to himself using the boards fails EVERY SINGLE TIME. And he floats around 'Cammalleri-style' in the D-zone. He looks drunk.

Plekanec is our best player that's for sure. I just wish he was not playing with Gionta. No offense on the captain but he is not skilled enough to be on the first line and wastes way too many shots from angles with no chance of hitting the back of the net, with weak and easily anticipated slap-shots. If Plekanec was playing with another big winger, he'd be even better. Give him Cole and see if he can get him going.

Give more minutes to Galchenyuk and Gallagher, sure their young, but they won't develop into star offensive players if you always play them safely and on a grinder oriented line. Having a chance with Pacioretty might just be what they needed.

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
Am I the only one that thinks the D pairings should be:

Markov-Subban (top pair playing 25 minutes a game in every situation)
Gorges-Emelin (a real shut-down pair)
Bouillon-Diaz (10-12 minutes a game)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Am I the only one that thinks the D pairings should be:

Markov-Subban (top pair playing 25 minutes a game in every situation)
Gorges-Emelin (a real shut-down pair)
Bouillon-Diaz (10-12 minutes a game)

Almost everyone here wants the Subban-Gorges pairing back together and I agree. Markov and Emelin works but they should switch sides for Emelin's sake. Bouillon and Diaz as a third pairing with limited ice time is also good.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Armstrong should be out of this line-up. Sure he's a funny guy in the locker room but he doesn't bring anything on the ice. Also dropping the gloves once in a while wouldn't hurt, and might actually give a one-game break to Prust.

About Prust. Bergevin's best off-season signing. A warrior.

Subban and Gorges need to be paired together and face the opponent's top lines again. Enough of the Gorges - Diaz pairing, it's going nowhere.

Markov AND Subban TOGETHER for the first PP unit. I'd even let them there the whole 2 minutes if I could. Bouillon and Emelin (while pretty good in the D-zone, take dumb decisions on the PP. Have Diaz to replace one of Subban or Markov. But FFS use your best weapons on the powerplay!

One of Gallagher, Gionta or Desharnais needs to go. And let's face it, it won't be Gallagher. I don't see how it can be Gionta either (too much responsabilities with the club as of now with the rookies and everything)... as for Desharnais, as far as I know we've got to many centers and he's unfortunately the odd man out.

Still I think he needs some more time to prove himself though, same for Eller.

White needs to get back in the line-up. He must have understood by now (or what does it take?!) He would have been of some help against Toronto. More over with Moen and Armstrong sleeping on the bench.

Moen? If he doesn't fight 1 game out of 4 at least, he is useless to this team.

Talking about useless guys, Cole is slowly proving what he said at the season start, that it might be his last season because of retirement. I know he pushed that aside later on, but if he doesn't take things seriously and start playing like he should, management will show him the way out. His passing is atrocious, he dumps it softly like he doesn't give a ****. His passing to himself using the boards fails EVERY SINGLE TIME. And he floats around 'Cammalleri-style' in the D-zone. He looks drunk.

Plekanec is our best player that's for sure. I just wish he was not playing with Gionta. No offense on the captain but he is not skilled enough to be on the first line and wastes way too many shots from angles with no chance of hitting the back of the net, with weak and easily anticipated slap-shots. If Plekanec was playing with another big winger, he'd be even better. Give him Cole and see if he can get him going.

Give more minutes to Galchenyuk and Gallagher, sure their young, but they won't develop into star offensive players if you always play them safely and on a grinder oriented line. Having a chance with Pacioretty might just be what they needed.

Agree with you on Armstrong. Tho I didn't hate him as much as some people around here, White brings more to the table. I don't mind having Armstrong as the 13th forward, tho.

Agree that Prust is a good signing, but not more than Bouillon. Can you imagine Habs D with Kaberle or Weber instead of Bouillon? Scary. And I do think Therrien fell in love a bit too much with Prust. He must be kept as a fourth liner, with occasionnal chipping on the top lines. Not the contrary as it is right now.

Yes for Subban-Gorges duo.

I don't agree Emelin is good in his own territory. In fact, he's plain horrible since the start of the season. Except for the Hits.

I don't know the final upside Desharnais may have, but he certainly deserve more patience. I mean c'mon, he had a 60 points season last year! That's not something you do just with luck! Eller is so far from a 60 points season, it's not even funny. Now I do agree Eller needs more "true" chances, but he does have to sease those chances, and he didn't do that the last 3 seasons. To me, he doesn't have the necessary vision to play center. He absolutly must learn to play wing.

Habs gonna have to live and die with Cole. You don't push such veteran aside. He had multiple good seasons in the NHL, and was the best Habs forward last year. That's the type of player you keep playing, hoping he would light things up. Unfortunatly, it could be a bad season, like any player has. If you push such a player aside, you could lose your room and the respect of veterans, and even of future free agents. Bad season happen, live with it.

Agree about Plekanec. Agree about Gionta. Given the emergence of Gallagher and the fact that Habs can't afford to have too many small wingers, I'm all for trading Gionta at the deadline. He still has great value for a team heading for the cup this year and can land an interesting return without hurting the present too much.

Agree for the Gallys.

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
Reading the last couple posts got me thinking...

One thing about Prust is that he gets promoted to send a message to other guys on the team. It was a clear message to Cole when Prust skated with Pac/DD that Cole needs to wake up.

Interesting point about splitting Pleks/Gio. Pleks is easily our best/most reliable forward this year. I like the idea of MaxPac with the Gally's but I would really like to see Max - Pleks - Cole given a shot for a few games.

I'm of the opinion that Eller should get minutes over DD but I also see the intrigue of getting DD going again. The thing I often ask myself; do you see DD being valuble/wanted/fitting in on contending teams? Do you see Eller? When comparing the two I see more value in Eller but that's just me, he also can play bottom-6 roles where frankly DD just can't.

Playing with lines a little bit (as we all love to do) I struggle with placing DD. Where did the chemistry with Pac go? Will we see it again? Alright... couple options I'd consider..

Pac - Pleks - Cole
Bourque - Gally - Gally
Eller - DD - Gionta
Prust - Moen - Colby (but who takes draws?)

You could play a little with somethings if needed, flipping Bourque and Eller maybe...

Others...
Bourque- Pleks - Cole
Prust - DD - Gio
Pac - Gally - Gally
Moen - Eller - Armstrong / White .... could flip Eller to 2nd and H/S DD for a game or two if you wanted to either dress White/ call up a Bulldog for a game or two.

Obviously Leblanc has struggled, I've heard a bit about Dumont.

Is Nokelainen ever really in our plans?

edit: on re-read I was thinking that there maybe a line I haven't seen mentioned or tried..altho I don't know where it would leave Gallagher..
Max - Pleks - Galchenyuk
it would leave..
Bourque - DD - Cole
Gallagher - Eller - Gionta

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Reading the last couple posts got me thinking...

One thing about Prust is that he gets promoted to send a message to other guys on the team. It was a clear message to Cole when Prust skated with Pac/DD that Cole needs to wake up.

I'm still not sure that he got promoted, or Galchenyuk and Gallagher did, or maybe Prust got demoted? :laugh:

Charon

Jul 24, 2008
If I were Therrien, this is what I would do for tonight's game:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty
Prust-Desharnais-Cole
Moen-Eller-White

I'd sit Armstrong for the game, and they need to keep Gionta, Gallagher and Desharnais all on separate lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->