Practice Notes

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
So I went down to the evening practice at the Joe today and thought I'd share some notes that I made while I was down there.

1. This is the fastest overall Wings team, especially D that we've had in years. Z and Cleary are probably our slowest forwards at this point unless Knuble is signed.

2. Knuble is really slow, like barely faster than Homer although his stride is better. He is a step below everyone else on the ice. I'd be very dissapointed if he got a spot on this team over a guy like Nyquist. I'd be ok with him in GR though because its never a bad thing for young guys to play with a true NHL vet.

3. Smith is probably our fastest dman. Overall I thought he looked pretty good both offensively and defensively. He did pretty well on the one on one drills and made some good outlet passes. He did look a little overwhelmed though. You could tell that he is the youngest guy out there, by that look of semi-awe on his face.

4. Quincey is a bit of a klutz. He is probably the worst skater of our d group. He doesn't have bad speed but his stability is somewhat questionable.

5. White while being our smallest D is surprisingly fast and made a bunch of solid plays today.

6. Kronwall looked good offensively but only so-so defensively. He was getting beat during the one on one drills quite a bit. Hopefully this is just rust because he has to be better if we want to get into the playoffs.

7. E and Quincey were both pretty solid on the PK today. Didn't give up any goals vs the 1st PP unit of Dats/Z/Kronner/Brunner/Franzen.

8. Z was playing the point with Kronner on the first PP unit. I saw a lot of passing and not much shooting. I hope this changes. I also hate Franzen being in front of the net. He is much better off to the side where he can carry the puck to the net if there is an opening.

9. Howard is lighting quick in his skating movements, especially side to side. Much faster than Jonas. Also Jonas likes to be much more involved in team drills/ center ice meetings while Jimmy usually remained in his net or went to the bench. I wonder if Jonas is just more interested because he is new or if he is just more of an interactive guy.

10. Brunner has real solid straight away speed and didn't shy away from going to get the puck in the corners. He needs to work a bit on his acceleration however because it was evident that he was a bit slow in the stop/start skating drills that they did.

11. Cleary still looks like he is laboring skating wise. This was really evident in the stop/start drills where he and Knuble were by far the slowest forwards.

12. Big E has great speed going forward but is still improving when it comes to skating backwards. You can tell he isn't a natural dman in that regard.

13. Our bottom 6 has the potential to be really small. Tootoo is ridiculously small and Eaves, Miller, Mursak, etc are much bigger.

14. Flip looks to have put on some muscle. He is looking stockier now than he ever used to.

15. Looks like the Wings are sticking to the same PP model as we've gone with for years. Franzen and Cleary were front of the net players and the other two forwards on each unit were down low below the redline. **Personally I think this is going to be a disaster with the players we have... **

16. Second unit consisted of Flip, Sammy, Cleary, White, and Smith.

17.Team worked a lot on clearing and board battle drills today. Worked a lot on clearing the puck up the middle of the ice which was interesting to see.

18. Mursak, Flip,and Dats spent about 10 minutes after practice playing keep away at center ice. It was 2 on 1 monkey in the middle style. It was nice to see Mursak working with two of the wings best players. Datsyuk obviously was in the middle the least, but Flip showed some really good hands as well. Mursak didn't embarrass himself but was definitely the least skilled of the three.

Overall I have to say I really enjoyed the experience. There was actually two practices. They ran general drills from 7-7:45 and then ran about a half an hour of special teams drills starting at around 8. Parking was free, entrance was free, and concessions were basically a buck unless you wanted beer ($2). The building wasn't jammed but there was a good vibe in the arena. There was also an open skate after the practice. Dats and Z got the loudest cheers as they entered the ice and Dats did a little stick wave in recognition. I'm hoping to go again tomorrow afternoon, as I've never been able to make it up to TC and this is probably as close as I'll get to training camp for a long time.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I have a hard time believing Knuble is that slow, especially since Caps fans who've been watching him disagree.

Ok Homer slow might be a bit over the top but he was by far the slowest player on the ice. They did a lot of breakout drills today so it was pretty noticiable. With that said they also had him centering a bit with Bert and Sammy which wasn't expected and I can't say the line looked bad. Bert was a lot faster looking that I remember him being. He obviously left early though due to a groin pull.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Thanks for the info. Did you catch the PK units?

Honestly I was focusing more on the PP units as they seemed to be the focus of the drills. IE Guys that would normally play both units were all on the PP side of things. Smith, Kronner, and White were PP while E, Quincey, Cola, and I believe Kindl pk'd. I don't believe any forwards out of the norm were pking but I wasn't paying a ton of attention since they were running drills at both ends of the rink.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Ok Homer slow might be a bit over the top but he was by far the slowest player on the ice. They did a lot of breakout drills today so it was pretty noticiable. With that said they also had him centering a bit with Bert and Sammy which wasn't expected and I can't say the line looked bad. Bert was a lot faster looking that I remember him being. He obviously left early though due to a groin pull.

I guess this doesn't look slow to me... In any case, I wonder if centering a line (Knuble's a winger, good grief...) had anything to do with it...

Thanks for the insight anyways.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

I guess this doesn't look slow to me... In any case, I wonder if centering a line (Knuble's a winger, good grief...) had anything to do with it...

Thanks for the insight anyways.

I would agree with you, however that was not how fast he was skating tonight. That goal you posted was almost a year ago and Knuble hasn't played a pro game in almost 10 months. It could be rust, but I'd be worried considering his age. Skating can deteriorate quickly. I mean look at Lids in 09-10 vs 10-11 vs 11-12. There was a big drop off last season. This doesn't mean a player can't be effective if slower (see Homer or Lids) but it is what it is.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm thinking you can't really judge a player's speed in practice and drills, guys don't want to pull a groin in skating drills two days before the premiere. Looking at our forwards this year though, we should be faster than last year. Our additions in Samuelsson, Brunner and Tootoo can all skate. Z has started to improve his speed again rather than decline and if Cleary is among our slowest ones we will be good, because he was up to speed in the playoffs and is fully healthy now to be him. Our D-line is mobile for sure, question is if they can guard the net good enough.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Knuble looked very slow in the scrimmage to me. He was even slower than he was in Washington last year. Like others have said it is rust, but I don't by the vet taking it easy. He better not be, he needs to earn a spot and surely Knuble understands this. If there is one player I would think would risk the groin injury in the entire camp it should be Knuble. From the comments about him being okay with Grand Rapids I think he knows he has to earn his way up with his play down there. Guess he can ask Gus and Tatar how that works out.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
What baffles my mind the most is how the Wings can look at

Miller/ Eaves

and play them over

Nyquist/Tatar Tots

:shakehead

KH is clearly effing around. This isnt the 90's anymore, we dont have 6 forwards who can score everynight..Sorry for rant, but for the past 5--6--7 years we have watched very good prospects who are NHL ready, get sent down for players such as Drew Miller.:shakehead

Hope Miller breaks a leg so we are FORCED to use NYQUIST

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

Miller/ Eaves

and play them over

Nyquist/Tatar Tots

KH is clearly effing around. This isnt the 90's anymore, we dont have 6 forwards who can score everynight..Sorry for rant, but for the past 5--6--7 years we have watched very good prospects who are NHL ready, get sent down for players such as Drew Miller.:shakehead

I want Nyquist in the lineup as much as the next guy but hoping someone will break their leg is taking it too far. Especially someone valuable in the bottom 6 like Miller.
I have no doubt that Nyquist will get playing time due to injuries hopefully he can play well enough to force Babcock to keep him up when that happens

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Miller/ Eaves

and play them over

Nyquist/Tatar Tots

If I here this one more friggin' time I will....:rant:

NYQUIST AND TATAR ARE TOP SIX PLAYERS, NOT BOTTOM SIX PLAYERS. THEY'RE BEST SERVED PLAYING TOP SIX AND THERE ISN'T ROOM FOR THEM IN OUR TOP SIX. THEY'RE BETTER OFF GETTING TOP SIX MINUTES IN GR FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR. GOOD GRIEF, THIS ISN'T HARD TO UNDERSTAND PEOPLE.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Miller/ Eaves

and play them over

Nyquist/Tatar Tots

Wow.. really?
I might not agree with everything Holland does but I would not wish any of our player to break a leg.

Maybe you should break a leg :) I wouldn't mind that at all.

EDIT: or you break both hands so you can't post something this stupid?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com

NYQUIST AND TATAR ARE TOP SIX PLAYERS, NOT BOTTOM SIX PLAYERS. THEY'RE BEST SERVED PLAYING TOP SIX AND THERE ISN'T ROOM FOR THEM IN OUR TOP SIX. THEY'RE BETTER OFF GETTING TOP SIX MINUTES IN GR FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR. GOOD GRIEF, THIS ISN'T HARD TO UNDERSTAND PEOPLE.

Back 5 years ago, i had a boss who always said "cant fix stupid".. so, that's my helping hand to you. :yo:

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
back to topic.

I wish we tried something other than screen the goalie and shoot from point strat during PP

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
:handclap:Thanks for the report, good insight. :handclap:

$2 beer!!!!!!! Beer is $11 in Winnipeg. But that's how you make a 15,000 seat arena work. According to our city we can't be legally trusted with $2 beer, we have a $2.25 min charge :rant:. I should stop now before this really gets away on me.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Well thanks for that rant, appreciate your knowledge, when its known they WILL become top 6 forwards eventually. Nyquist and Tatar yes, will, become top 6 forwards. Did I say they wont? Did I say, insert them in the 3rd line forever? LOL... GEEEEZ:shakehead..My point is very clear. Having Nyquist/Tatar on the bottom 6, makes the WINGS better IMO., right NOW! That is my opinion. Given this is a FORUM, I have that right to say that. Its funny to see people like you get so worked up over an opinion, that, it makes me wonder if you need :help:, I mean really. As if I dont understand how the RW way works.

Its very very clear, that the DRW way is to groom their players, by giving them top 6 min. in GR. All, I am saying, is NQYUIST/TATAR make the Wings BETTER right now. Last time I checked, you need 4 lines to go deep into the playoffs. Our current bottom 6 have NOT gotten the job done, do not score goals when the top 6 are being shut down. Players such as Miller/Eaves are very good 4th line players/ extra forwards, which gives the Wings depth. Players such as Tatar/Nyquist can be HUGE upgrades to the Wings 3rd line, yet, lets groom them some more. Ok, fine, but IMO why not try it out.

Wow.. really?
I might not agree with everything Holland does but I would not wish any of our player to break a leg.

Maybe you should break a leg :) I wouldn't mind that at all.

EDIT: or you break both hands so you can't post something this stupid?

Too many of you take things so seriously. It was a joke! LOL, as if I really wish that upon someone, considering I have broken my femur, playing hockey. It was a JOKE! LOL

As for your advice to break both my hands, Ill get right on that :amazed:

Back 5 years ago, i had a boss who always said "cant fix stupid".. so, that's my helping hand to you. :yo:

Havent had a job in 5 years egh? I can tell...;)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
So I went again today to the noon practice and here are a few more notes.

1. Kronner looked much better defensively. They ran a few 2 on 1 drills for the dmen and I'd say he did the best cutting off passes and or keeping the shooter to the outside.

2. Smith also looked pretty good on the 2 on 1s. He looked more comfortable overall today.

3. Knuble looked faster today. I wonder if he was nursing some tight muscles yesterday and that is why he was so slow. He was still one of the slower guys out there but I'd say it was an acceptable skating speed. He was also still playing a lot of center today with Sammy on the wing.

4. Did more special teams drills and clearing drills today and the Wings D looked pretty solid. They may not be as good of dmen as Lids or Stuart but their speed really helps them get to pucks and move them out quickly.

5. They also ran some 5 on 3 drills and they weren't just lining up one times which was nice to see. They were actually do a little bit of work down low.

6. E wasn't as good in the 2 on 1 drill as I expected he would be. He was letting passes get through which can't happen in actual games. Plus with his size he should not let any passes through.

7. Cleary spent extra time at the end of practice tipping pucks from all of the dmen. E looks like he has worked on getting his shot off quicker, which could be a major boon this year.

8. Tootoo and Franzen also spent a bunch of time working on tips and batting pucks out of the air but they were working down low as opposed to working on point tips. Tootoo actually has some pretty good hands.

9. Z, Kronner, Quincey, and Sammy were all working on one timers after practice as well. I think Sammy is going to surprise people this year.

10. Dats, Eaves, Franzen, and Flip all engaged in a game of keep away at center ice. Eaves and Dats were doing a more serious drill when Flip and Franzen joined it turned into horsing around. At one point Flip knocked Franzen on his butt going for a puck and then later Dats knocked Franzen's stick out of his hands and sent it down the ice.

11. Mursak and Tootoo stood out on the PK drills to me today. Tootoo is definitely willing to block pucks and I was actually a little worried he might lay out to block one during a drill. Mursak comes from the Helm school of pking, which is speed, speed, speed.

12. A bunch of guys were engaging in a cool drill at the other end of the rink where they lined out sticks about 4 feet outside the crease and had to manuever back and forth around the sticks and get a shot on net. They turned it into a speed drill later on.

RedWingsNow*

Baloney.
They're better off in the NHL, even if it's third line or fourth line minutes. Datsyuk played on line 4 when he got here. Flip was a fourth liner when he got here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Baloney.
They're better off in the NHL, even if it's third line or fourth line minutes. Datsyuk played on line 4 when he got here. Flip was a fourth liner when he got here.

This is the truth of the matter. Only Brunner because of his circumstances is going to break through as a top 6 guy from day one.

Franzen, Filppula, Datsyuk and Zetterberg all started in the bottom six technically.

In fact Tatar has worked on his game precisely so he can be played on a third line. When Nyquist and Tatar are called up they will likely spend some time in the bottom six, people should start accepting that as well. Nyquist might go into the top 6 depending on the injury that gets him up, but Tatar is going to start in a depth role, so saving him for a role he won't see for a while doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

This debate actually looks like it has the potential for the ugliest scenario yet when Jarnkrok comes over. If he is ready and the Wings stick to their guns on Helm being the third line center that is going to be a long and tiring argument around here in my opinion. Unless Filppula leaves it is basically a certainty after his first year in Grand Rapids that a lot of head scratching will be taking place.

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
Baloney.

this. abby and emmerton need to go asap.

theres no substitute for experience in the physicality/speed of the nhl game.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Well thanks for that rant, appreciate your knowledge, when its known they WILL become top 6 forwards eventually. Nyquist and Tatar yes, will, become top 6 forwards. Did I say they wont? Did I say, insert them in the 3rd line forever? LOL... GEEEEZ:shakehead..My point is very clear. Having Nyquist/Tatar on the bottom 6, makes the WINGS better IMO., right NOW! That is my opinion. Given this is a FORUM, I have that right to say that. Its funny to see people like you get so worked up over an opinion, that, it makes me wonder if you need :help:, I mean really. As if I dont understand how the RW way works.

Nyquist and Tatar are in the mold of Top Sixers and for most of their careers have had top six minutes given to them to play such roles. Giving them 8 minutes a night having to face the likes of Sabotka, Carcillo, Bolland, Dorsett after spending half a season playing against the top lines in the AHL is stupid for development and stupid management of talent. It's bad utilization of their talent. Stupid, it's stupid for a team like this year's squad in the circumstances to take a guy and give him a completely different role in a ridiculously intense environment that's not like a normal NHL season.

Baloney.
And Nyquist spent time with Pavel Datsyuk on the first line when he got here. And your boy Adam Henrique got thrown on the second line in his rookie year.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Gratuitous usage of caps aside, why can't either Gus or Tatar have a top 6 role this season? Unless you want to pencil in one of Babs' favorites like Sammy/Cleary/Bert for 2nd line duty, there should be room for one of them to play with Flip and Franzen.

Also, the Wings are going to need secondary scoring since they lack a true sniper on the roster (can't quite put Franzen in that category), so I think they need scoring from their 3rd line. Granted, that is tough to pull off with Helm centering that line, but I don't see why Gus couldn't play on the 2nd line and Tatar on the 3rd. Neither guy is really going to develop their games to the next level by playing against AHL competition at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad